Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305212 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1035 on: February 28, 2014, 05:50:28 pm »

Fucking hell.  It must be terrifying.

Not to say that Ukrainians are cowards, just that an invasion...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:29 pm »

Really, what in the actual fuck? Everyone would be burning themselves in the streets to proclaim the US's evilness had America been doing this. Is this bizarro world? Shit, may as well get used to the fact that noone -- not one -- government will stand up to this anymore. Atleast people faked outrage over Georgia.

Great, what an awesome precedent, guys. We're screwed if we just let this happen all the time.

Let's go uncontested arrival Canada, ey?
I wonder what Putin paid for Crimea... Snowden?

On a more serious note, I am seriously going to pray to God today so that nobody dies in Crimea.
If I were religious sort I would be praying (against my better knowledge) that majority of them would be Russian solders. I know that makes me probably seem like horrible person but I find that I don't actually care. I hope they get second Afganistan or Winter War.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 28, 2014, 05:54:11 pm »

Nothing, Obama just doesn't like rash actions, and frankly I'd be more worried if he didn't think twice about possibly going to war against Russia.

But seriously, he should be in the crisis room, not circlejerking at the DNC. Fuck that guy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 28, 2014, 05:54:55 pm »

Unfortunately the smart POLITICAL thing to do is wait before fighting back. Just try not to get too fucked in the process. Damn this is shit.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #1039 on: February 28, 2014, 05:56:21 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli:

Whats so confusing?

My claims are simple and clear. a revolution to overthrow an elected government was done partially and greatly by the hands of neo-nazis and the west is cheering for it.

that channel 4 link was used solely for this part (although, its idiotic i had to even support this known fact):
"In December US senator John McCain travelled to Ukraine to offer his support to the opposition, appearing on stage with leaders of the three opposition parties leading the protests - including the far-right Svoboda party.

Svoboda is currently Ukraine's fourth biggest party and holds 36 seats in parliament. It is also part of the Alliance of European National Movements, along with the BNP and Hungary's Jobbik.

Svoboda leader Oleh Tyahnybok is one of the faces of the protests, appearing regularly along with opposition leader and former boxer Vitali Klitschko (see picture right) voicing opposition to Putin's influence over the region."

Do you claim those facts are false? i guess you don't.

And please stop trying to belittle me, this is both insulting to me, to this board and to your intelligence.

sinistar - those yellow arm bands they are talking about are NOT related to the picture webber shown.

Jeb:
parties evolve is a very bad argument because as far as we know, that evolution is merely an outward evolution. paint a donkey with stripes and he will still remain a doneky, not a zebra. this is PR at its finest. the key figures remained the same. do you actually believe that an openly admitted neo-nazi (anyone who is a memeber of a neo-nazi party is neo-nazi and openly admit it, agreed?) suddenly turns out just nationalist? that he saw the light? i find it hard to believe. the more likely scenario is that svoboda knew they had to moderate their IMAGE if they wanted to survive politically.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 28, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »

On a more serious note, I am seriously going to pray to God today so that nobody dies in Crimea.
If I were religious sort I would be praying (against my better knowledge) that majority of them would be Russian solders. I know that makes me probably seem like horrible person but I find that I don't actually care. I hope they get second Afganistan or Winter War.

Please, have mercy on our troops. Most of them were drafted and do not give a flying fuck about Putin's ambitions. Every war we had recently was pretty much Vietnam for us - our sons go and die meaningless deaths in a country they honestly have nothing against for a cause everybody knows is bullshit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:00:17 pm by Knit tie »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:18 pm »

Naw, just completely irrelevant.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 28, 2014, 05:59:31 pm »

Yes, Buningpet, random infodumps do not tend to support people's political claims.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 28, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »

burningpet:
You aren't actually saying anything remotely useful. No one cares. You are literally not bothering to make any points to any noticeable end, and so are serving as nothing more than an annoyance. You missed your opportunity by refusing to actually make a clear position or an effective argument, the consensus has been to move on to new incidents that are actually happening now. So unless you have something of actual interest to add to the conversation, something that hasn't already been discussed to death, please... just stop bothering.

Alternatively, try to keep up with the current topic of conversation. In case you didn't notice, Russia is invading. Unless you have some comment to make about that, it's not really worth saying the same pointless stuff over and over again. We finished the conversation you're happening before you even arrived - you can reread the thread if you really want to retread old ground.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 28, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »

Unfortunately the smart POLITICAL thing to do is wait before fighting back. Just try not to get too fucked in the process. Damn this is shit.
Now that you mention it, that's very true. If Ukraine were to attack Russians now it would be over in a month. Whole country would be annexed or new goverment placed. The smart thing to do is to wait till they are identified as Russian and international outrage damages Russias chances to annex Crimea and negotiations between Ukraine and Russia start over position of Crimea and Russians in rest of Ukraine. While Russian solders hold Crimea hostage...

Please, have mercy on our troops. Most of them were drafted and do not give a flying fuck about Putin's ambitions. Every war we had recently was pretty much Vietnam for us - our sons go and die meaningless death in a country they honestly have nothing against for a cause everybody knows is bullshit.
True enough. My sniper skills will wait for another day...
Actually, some Russians cross the border over here to get away from Russian army if they have Finnish citizenship. Then they find out we make them serve in the army too. Much butthurt, very drama.

Edit: Stupid picture and stupid computer...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:10:08 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06:58 pm »

This is going to probably be the point in the century where the USA is shown to be the impotent floppy blancmange that it is and that Putin can do whatever he likes while they just sit and bluster. Putin can invade and annex other countries, overthrow governments, turn the tides in civil wars in his favour and there's nothing the USA can do about it.

Syria was the first nail, this is the final nail in the coffin. I'd be talking about the EU too but they proved their floppiness in the last few years.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:09:46 pm by Owlbread »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 28, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »

An openly admitted neo-nazi is a leading public figure for a revolution and was been accepted as such by an american government official. whats irrelevant about that? this is as relevant to my claim as the word relevance can be.

GlyphGryph - there was never a serious discussion. there were just deflections, like there are now. no one cares that neo-nazis played and still play a major role in Ukraine politics? well, thats THE problem.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:09:28 pm by burningpet »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »

Especially since Russia does have a military base in the Crimea. This gives them a reason to have troops there to "protect their interests". Given how many US military bases are scattered around the world, I imagine the US government is leery of seeming too hostile on this point. They'll wait until Russia does something obviously bad before doing more, I'm sure.

Quote from: Owlbread
This is going to probably be the point in the century where the USA is shown to be the impotent floppy blancmange that it is and that Putin can do whatever he likes while they just sit and bluster. Putin can invade and annex other countries, overthrow governments, turn the tides in civil wars in his favour and there's nothing the USA can do about it.

Maybe. Depends on how much Obama wants to get into things, or at least appear to be willing to get into things. The US didn't get involved in Georgia because all of its troops were tied up in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is no longer the case, but the US public is also rather weary of sending troops off to go fight in other countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US mostly went for political or economic sanctions until things went so far that other major NATO allies wanted to get actively involved.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:14:03 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 28, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »

Except Ukraine is much closer, we have NATO trops on their borders.

Also, funnily enough, Georgia also had his troops tied in Iraq in 2008. A third of their army or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 286