Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49399 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. 2000 to go.
« Reply #600 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:26 am »

After previous attempts at using complicated dfhack wizardry, I'll stick to the simple commands.  The next update will be after work today.  I'll cover partway through Autumn.  Due to drug-induced stupor I accidentally deleted a bunch od Notes ingame while trying to make new ones for the Grinder.  Oops.  My weekend of fun shall live on in the save!

...you did WHAT?!

I pity the next guy in line, cause they just got handed the Carp end of the stick.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »

I never trust any notes anyway.... 'gui/mechanisms' is the way to go ^^
:( After all the time I spent making all those nice labels for everything? I'm not OCD, y'know. It takes effort for me to label everything.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2014, 02:02:08 pm »

In my defense, it was completely accidental.  And due to oxycodone.  I plan to try and fix it.  But damn if the notes are note frustrating as hell to use. 

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 10, 2014, 05:58:11 pm »

Really? I use them to label streets and such for flavour... could you describe your difficulties?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »

I tasked Talonis and Kamikazi with praying to Armok to rid us of these ghosts that seem to be multiplying.  It seems to be working.  Two of the wraiths departed and have not been heard from in a few weeks.

10th Malachite, 37

Urist made a gypsum table.  It seems to show someone being removed from the position of Outpost Liaison.  The joke is on whoever became the new liaison.  Given the track record for outsiders here, that sounds like more of a death sentence than a promotion. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Galena. 37

While up on the walls, taking a break from the deep, dusty work of our infernal device, I notice something odd.  Out in the fields to the south it appears a landmine left the cage it had been put in.  Then I saw the culprits.  A pair of rhesus monkeys jumped out of a bush, and one bit the landmine.  The lucky bastards barely took any of the shrapnel.

7th Galena, 37

Another beast has worked into our caverns.  Unaban.  Rather disgusting.

14th Galena, 37

The grinder is complete.  We are now smoothing the hallowed walls, preparing them to better receive the blood offering to Armok that shall be coming.

1st Limestone, 37

Autumn has come, and I barely noticed.  We started digging out the tunnels to the ruins of the Hammer.  We are taking great care; the demons are sontained for now, and we want no mistakes before opening the doors to McMahrgell’s Mistep.  I’ve added some drawings of the more complete construction:

5th Limestone, 37

Talonis and Kamikaze seem to be pretty good at laying the spirits of our ill-fated visitors to rest.  They managed to put down another two lost souls that started hanging around the place.

OOC:  Honestly, I don't understand what happened, and I have used notes before, so it was probably lack of sleep and drugs.  I'll try to finish this turn off tomorrow and get the notes all in order.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:27 am »

I've always been terribly confused by minecart weapons, even after reading wikis and guides.  I look forward to downloading the save after your playthrough and trying out the grinder to see how it operates.

Also just putting it out there to whoever is next. If like me you don't know a thing about minecart traps maybe we should let Grimmash play a few extra seasons until it's working.  If it gets the fortress to the point where we can finally have migrants then it's probably worth a bit more of a wait.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few things.  The grinder works.  There are only a few steps.

First, close the hatches on the top level.  This stops the cart from falling onto the tracks.
Second, make sure there is a cart on the hatch.  Right now dwarves will automagically haul a cart there.
Third, close the bridges.  This is to prevent dwarves from going onto the tracks.
Fourth, open the hatche/s.  This drops the cart, and starts the perpetual motion machine.
Fifth, watch the cart circle and the ensuing bloodshed if anyone or anything is on the tracks.
Sixth, to stop the grinder , close the bridges on the tracks.  These are on the second level.
Repeat.

While i built a ton of bridges, most control the pathing to the fort.  The actual bridges that operate the thing are just the hatches and the stop bridge.  I wanted to make sure we had plenty of failsafes to control access with enough space to react.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't wait to peek at the save- I'm rather curious about how to get a meat grinder working, as I've always had trouble with getting the things automated... or I accidentally succeed and can't stop the friggin thing from killing everything.

I once tried magma to destroy the thing- it ignited something in the Minecart. It happened to go through my booze stockpile... well, I tried.
GENERATION 32:

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... I think I will post the wrapup for Becordobar soon, including a nondestroyed save... So there you will be able to see my grinders as well :D

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay.  I ended up being a bit sicker than i thought, and then my wife got a new job, so we had to celebrate.  I'll finish the turn by the end of the weekend.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2014, 05:06:31 am »

OOC:  Honestly, I don't understand what happened ... it was probably lack of sleep and drugs.  I'll try to finish this ... tomorrow ...

Boy, if I had a nickel --     :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'd have 15 cents from that sentence alone!  I gave at least three excuses :).

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5th Limestone, 37

Talonis and Kamikaze seem to be pretty good at laying the spirits of our ill-fated visitors to rest.  They managed to put down another two lost souls that started hanging around the place.

14th Sandstone, 37

Well, Vulturis has started a mysterious construction of some sort.

18th Sandstone, 37

Vulturis made an adamantine left gauntlet of armok.  Our bookkeeper informs me this doubles the worth of our fortress.

27th Sandstone, 37

Several months of hard work are about to come to fruition, or our demise.  The grinder and tunnels are complete.  I will include schematics for any future overseers, or for those who reclaim our dead bodies.

OOC:  Final update will be tonight.  For tonight we breach the gates of hell!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Wait, Vulturis did something? He refused to do anything on my turn. Also, Armok be with you against the hellspawn below.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46