Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Let's Play MAJESTY!  (Read 29122 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MAJESTY!
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:44 am »

Alright, dreadfully sorry about the massive delays involved here, but real life has a way of butting in and ruining your plans at times.

Anyways, I've been testing the water with various scenario builds for a nice, action-packed swarmy round, and...  Well...  Holy fuck does that stuff hit hard.  And fast.

I've been trying to fine-tune things so that I can actually have a hope of surviving the initial slaughter around day 2-3, but I've already given myself the maximum possible starting gold, along with a very decent starting building setup.  I think I might just have to swap out Cannon Fodder for Veteran Heroes, so people don't die quite so easily and I don't have to deal with the game occasionally goofing and calculating vampires (I.E., one of this game's premiere wizard-slayers) as "fodder".

Currently, I'm looking at either a United Faiths build (with temples to Agrela, Dauros, Fervus and Krypta to start with) or Wizard's Haven, with a wizard's guild (that will IMMEDIATELY be upgraded to level 3 so I can use lightning storm), a library, and a couple defensive wizard towers that can spew purple smoke at enemies, which somehow hurts them.  Kind of.

I may be able to just get away with Cannon Fodder enabled if I can manage to match the starting attacks with healers and priestesses, but Wizard's Haven would be the best synergy with Veteran Heroes if I go that route instead, since it would unlock far more of the wizardly potential right off the bat thanks to the starting library.

Gonna try and run a few more tests and see when and how I don't spontaneously explode.

EDIT:  SO. MANY. GOBLINS.

United faith does seem to be the strongest start in this case, since it also allows for rushing the Wizardly types and getting that essential lightning storm up and running.  Gnomes will fucking melt.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:36 am »

Go United Faiths IF that allows for both Paladins and WoD to be recruited.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:08 am »

Wasn't it a bug that WoC recruitment button was overriding Paladin button? v:

I remember I always had two buttons max...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:19 am »

Yeah, Paladins get edged out.  I thought I remembered that you could get around that by pressing the hotkey, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Only way for United Faith to get pallies is if the temple to Fervus gets destroyed.

sirboomalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2013, 02:42:49 pm »

Atleast until an embassy gets built, though that is kind'a expensive...

Oh, and barbarians seemed to be quite effective against the goblin hordes, if you decide on something other than the united faiths.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »

Priestesses of Krypta are useful, with their masses of chaff.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

Yeah, priestesses helped out a great deal in test runs, and were the primary force holding back/defeating the tides.  Cultists actually managed to help out as well by providing even more targets, and also whenever Cannon Fodder decided I needed a lot more demon-possessed bears in my township.  Healers were healers and made sure that all of our heroes, skeletons, guards, tax collectors and everyone else was in tip-top shape.  I didn't make many monks since I wanted to see how it'd work out without them, but they seem like they'd fill an important gap if I were to make them.  Monks make for fantastic tanks, and can easily be used to take the pressure off the other religious followers (who are all rather squishy).  Primarily though, having an early temple to Dauros for those sweet, sweet buffs was what saved my ass a number of times.

It's still fairly clear that I need to rush wizards though.  United Faiths just helps me stabilize the early game and provide a meatshield for the wizzes to survive long enough to get a level or two.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 02, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

Sounds fun!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 02, 2013, 05:51:11 pm »

Has Pan the Devout One is ready to calm our enemies with excessive applications of fisticuffs! v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2013, 07:42:17 pm »

One trick I learned to help my wizards gain a level or two is to make them invisible after they engage an enemy (especially ranged foes).  All enemies will ignore the wizard while the wizard obliterates the enemy.  It doesn't last long, takes a lot of micromanagement, and is expensive, but it's a good way for wizards to bulk up, and you get the invisibility spell at the same time you get wizards.

I'm certain that is probably obvious to most players, but it took me a while to figure it out, so I thought I'd share.

Also, I love Temples of Lunord.  While the level two is lousy, the level one spell (winged feet) is AWESOME.  It really speeds up, well everyone, but especially wizards and dwarves.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2013, 07:56:26 pm »

The only problem with invisispam is that you need to plop up wizard towers everywhere. Which isn't that bad if it's part of your overall strategy. I'm just too lazy/cheap to expand my wiz coverage far beyond my city limits.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »

I'd love to be in as a gnome.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 02, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »

Also, I love Temples of Lunord.  While the level two is lousy, the level one spell (winged feet) is AWESOME.  It really speeds up, well everyone, but especially wizards and dwarves.

I'd hardly say that Wind Storm is lousy.  Sure, it hardly deals any damage, but that's not what it's there to do.  It scatters enemies like nothing else, splitting up large groups and sending them hither and thither.  Put it in an important area, and you can completely repel all attacking enemies for a short time (fast enemies who return to the same spot can actually manage to get themselves flung twice).

Winged feet is also something I like using on caravans quite a bit.

I'll have to keep the invisibility trick in mind, I'm so used to games where invisibility is broken when attacking.

The only problem with invisispam is that you need to plop up wizard towers everywhere. Which isn't that bad if it's part of your overall strategy. I'm just too lazy/cheap to expand my wiz coverage far beyond my city limits.

"City limits" is really all we're talking about in the early game.  I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with a 30+ goblin attack, plus one 15-25 "something" attack all by day 3.  And then another, /far/ nastier goblin attack about a week later.  Also, yeah, wizard towers are great.  They're a decent semi-passive defense (although naturally outclassed by the ballista tower) that auto-constructs itself and can deal an interesting amount of damage depending on what you're up against since its projectiles count as magic, not ranged.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 05, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

Alright, finally some action here.  I think I managed to work out the sweet spot as far as settings were concerned.  So, here's a pic of our new kingdom, with a few accoutrements and upgrades already in place:

And as you can see, we- OH FUCK, WE'RE UNDER ATTACK.

So, basically, yeah.  This scenario does not fuck around.  At all.  After the initial lump of rats and scattered goblins, things laughed and said they'd settle down a bit.  But only as far as things are ever going to settle down around here.

The monks Delta and Has Pan were of great help in this stage, bravely taking the front lines and holding off the hordes while carpet-managers Oneir and Simmura blasted them to bits with arcane textile magicks.  In the wake of the destruction, our two beacons of health and healing, Raalupaxin and Sirboomalotinol, cared for the wounded and the slightly stressed with their own brands of medical aid.

With the worst of it over, city expansion was allowed to actually commence, and things almost started becoming stable.  Delta went over to the west side of the city to smack the roaming harpies and trolls that had come out of nowhere.  Gotta keep yo' monkhand strong, y'knowahmsayin'?

It was always a bad part of town, what with the fires and the ratapults and the death...

More expansion, which made us ready in time for more attacks...

Here we have the thirogue's guild and all of its current members.  Plus a few extras who were either just wandering around the area or were there to maliciously coat their weapons with foul, agonizing toxins (the elves).

By this time, the wizard's guild was up and fully upgraded, allowing for us to use the pricey but oh-so-necessary lightning storm to get out of a couple rat-sieges without the apocalypse happening.  Unfortunately, Archmagus GlyphGryph happened to be most rudely eviscerated while this was happening and had to spend a little time cooling his heels in the mausoleum since I needed the resurrection cash to save the entire fucking kingdom.  He's feeling much better now though.

Speaking of rats, I should probably point out what it is we're up against.

Here we see a rat's nest, and the most recent and bloodthirsty product of said rat's nest.  The scenario I'm using starts with only one of these on the map, but they produce a decent-enough number of all different types of rat units.  Everything from the standard R.O.U.S., to the ratmen shamans, to the champions, to the ratapults.  So, basically, a broken sewer main.  However, rat's nests are unique in that they're the only lair type in the game that actually generates more of itself.  At various intervals, each nest will randomly spawn another rat's nest in the vicinity (the pictured one has already done this at least once, the sister nest is just outside the viewed area).  Each spawned nest can also do this, so you run into an exponentially increasing number of rat-hives, which leads to an exponentially increasing number of well-armed and organized rat armies.  Especially if you happen to be a silly person with the Super Lairs setting on, like I have.

That's the news for now, in a highly condensed and abridged form.  There are actually so many attacks, raids and skirmishes going on that I can't spend time looking at all of them and have to focus on actually playing the game...  Which makes a cohesive narration of events rather difficult.

EuchreJack the cultist is running away in terror.  Also, excuse me, we seem to having some bear-related issues.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:47 pm »

Can you rename the Mausoleum to the "Orchestra Pit"? Seems appropriate, given all of the Warriors of Discord that ended up in it last game.

Also, yay! New game!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26