Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Let's Play MAJESTY!  (Read 29105 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Let's Play MAJESTY!
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:25:32 am »

Ahh, Majesty...  For those of you who are unaware, Majesty is a real-time strategy game with something of a twist...  Rather than the micromanagement clicks-per-second style of StarCraft, WarCraft or Command and ConquerCraft, Majesty went in the other direction by making sure you can't directly control anybody.

Imagine your standard RPG, with you as the dashing, heroic minmaxed protagonist marching calmly into the nearest town to rent a room at the local inn, browse through the gear proffered by the blacksmith, and restock on the all-important magical soda pop of healing.

Now, imagine that instead of the hero, you were in fact playing as the town.  That's what Majesty boils down to.

Construct guildhouses to attract various types of champions, build up your town's infrastructure and basic defenses, and make sure to provide your heroes with all the amenities they might require.  Then, watch as they go about and completely ignore whatever it was you wanted them to do, in favor of spending all their time and money at the nearest brothel *ahem*, relaxation lounge...

Heroes come in many different shapes and sizes, and everyone has their own randomized stats and semblance of a personality.  To make things interesting, you can name and rename pretty much anyone.  ...or anything, really.  Being able to call your favored archmage by the honorable epithet "Lord Bighat" is only the tip of the iceberg, as you can also "name" the lowly wandering peasants, tax collectors, city guardsmen...  and buildings.

So if you ever wanted to have an entire neighborhood of houses all called "Tim", Majesty is indeed the game for you.

I will be playing the random map/freestyle game mode of Majesty, as it allows for the greatest freedom and also the most leeway for doing  things the, um, "less than optimal" way.  I'm a bit rusty at this ol' girl, so I'll be taking it relatively easy to start with.  There are numerous different settings and options that can be set for freestyle games, but in order to get things moving along, I'll save you all the tedium and confusion of voting on the many, many options and just set up the first round myself.

And that's it.  That's our lovely little kingdom.  The big walled thing in the middle is my glorious seat of luxury and power, the palace.  If this gets destroyed, we all lose.  I will be sitting my lovely lily-white arse on the velvety pleasantness of my cushy throne while you lot are all out in the rain and muck risking life and limb fighting horrible monstrosities.  Get used to it.

To the right, we have a warrior's guild, where we can recruit up to 4 warrior-type champions for our realm.  More on that later.

Above us we have a guard tower, and wandering off in the northeast is the guard that this tower houses.  These are your primary defense measure for most circumstances, and they're quite useful (essential, even) but have their limitations.

Now it's time to get to the fun bit, the heroes!

Majesty has a lot of different hero types available, and I'll try and give as decent a description of each one so you can pick who you'd like to be in this mess.  I will try not to recruit any heroes that haven't been claimed, so we're a fully Bay12 kingdom, but if things start getting hairy or if there are only 2-3 people who sign up, I don't know if I can keep to that.  Also note that some heroes prevent other heroes from being used, more on that to follow.
Spoiler: The Heroes: Basic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Heroes: Non-humans (click to show/hide)

These are the only picks we'll have available to us early on, so they're the only ones I'll mention for now (also because I'm not sure if the 8-picture limit per post is still in effect or not), but there are many more.

Note:  In regards to the nonhumans and other incompatible heroes, if there are requests for conflicting hero types (say someone wants to be a dwarf and someone else wants to be an elf gnome, I will pick the type that has more people requesting it.  If both sides have the same number of requests, I will pick whichever type was requested first.

Note2: Almost all buildings in Majesty get exponentially more expensive the more you build of them.  This means that while it is theoretically possible to have everyone be dwarves, the required costs for building the settlements would be absolutely crippling and force me to grind money for an EXTREMELY long time.  As such, I'll be implementing a "soft cap" on certain hero types, most notably the nonhumans.

So, it begins!  Come forth, brave adventurers...  Who be ye?  What be thy name?

Spoiler: Morgue, Round 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Morgue, Round 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Morgue, Round 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roster, Round 4 (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MAJESTY!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:27:37 am »

Dibs on the wizard.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:28:34 am »

>get rogues
>get lvl3 market, several trading posts and inns
>attract elves
>???
>profit indefinitely

Also, I claim Sir Haspen Ironclad, warrior. Try to not get him killed so fast v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:52 am »

Gnome me.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:46:07 am »

Take the chaos priests as quickly as possible and give me a Warrior of Discord please!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:58:53 am »

I vote going with paladins, gnomes, and the sun god this game, with lots of trading post spam.

I want to be a wizard, Nirur the Senile.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

Screw Paladins. Screw them forever.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

Psssh you infidels, we should worship the one and only father of gods, KROOOOLM!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:12:55 am »

Krolm is indeed quite awesome, but Warriors of Discord are at least 4.5 times awesomer.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:20:10 am »

But alas, it's what's been decided on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:38:35 am »

Sadly, I managed to forget that Wizards are only available once you hit palace level 2...  Durff.  It really has been a while.

Anyways, onwards to victory!  Our first glorious hero of the realm is the shiny Sir Haspen Ironclad!  As unstoppable as a mighty frigate, and only half as wide!  Good Sir Haspen is in fact mildly puny for a warrior-knight, having 16 in strength and constitution...  But that will change shortly.

He's also bizarrely sharp-witted, with a whole 10 intelligence.

Japa, our resident gnome, is about as one would expect a gnome to be.  A whopping 1 strength, and 3 whole hitpoints to his name.  But a more pious runt may one never find, for he starts off with 18 willpower!

Everything's moving along smoothly, constructing this, building that, putting up the marketplace, planning where to put the blacksm-...
...and then this happens.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a meteor storm.  Normally these are summoned by high-level wizards, as it is the ultimate spell they can learn.  In this case, it's one of the random events that will happen from time to time.  It is incredibly deadly, and were any of our heroes to walk too close to it, they surely would have perished.

Luckily for us, the squishiest of our number, Japa, was preoccupied with building the latest defenses to keep our center of commerce safe, and earned himself an experience level from the whole ordeal.  And then a werewolf attacked him and he nearly shat himself while running back home.

Losing interest in the now-hidden gnome, the werewolf turned around and was summarily filled with a facefull of arrows, courtesy of the guard tower Japa had just constructed.  So, I suppose, Japa has drawn first blood...  In a fairly roundabout way.

We're going to need some more rogues, rangers and warriors, as in order to upgrade the palace to level 2 and get lots more fun buildings, we'll need at least 4 heroes.  And for whatever racist reason, gnomes don't count towards this counter (even though as we clearly just saw, they're incredibly deadly...  Sort of).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 11:43:45 am »

Ding dong, the gnome is dead.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 11:51:25 am »

While dutifully inspecting the barracks, Sir Ironclad discovered a spider hiding under one of the beds.  Despite being clearly unhygienic, this spider was also about the size of a large horse.  Launching into an uncharacteristically berserk fury at this blatant disregard for the guild's cleanliness standards, the good sir knight went about hacking and slashing the arachnid into squishy little bits, earning himself a level from the ordeal.

Unfortunately, this diversion was long enough for a roaming band of goblins to appear out of bloody nowhere and sniff their way directly to Japa's house, murdering a city guard on their way (these guys really aren't that good at dealing with many threats) and causing a flustered, groggy Japa to wake up and sleepily start repairing the damage caused to his abode.

Let us mourn this passing...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:02:04 pm »

The minor goblin-related cough that Japa came down with appears to have mutated and grown into a fairly bloodthirsty minor horde.

Even our oh-so-brave spider-slaying barracks-cleaning Sir Haspen Ironclad, tempted though he was by the juicy 300 gold reward for slaying the plague priest that led them, realized that this was just a bit beyond his current level of expertise.

He honorably removed himself from battle by screaming "CALL IN THE REINFORCEMENTS!" like a little girl and running home.

Alright, so, at this point we're really actually fairly boned.  While this pack of goblins isn't generally that big of a deal, it is considerably more threatening when your entire fighting force consists of one dude.  Round 1 may end faster than previously intended.  Hrm.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 12:04:23 pm »

Well, if we're going with Gnomes then we might as well go with Kolm as our guardian deity. To help further our descent into barbarianism, I claim a ranger named Robin Hood with full expectations that he'll eventually get off'd by the time we get barbarians.

Also, how did you manage to name your heroes before they reached level 10? Photoshop?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26