Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 24515 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:21 am »

You really want me to become our Doctor? Well, I'll have to prepare some medical reports.

Batdwarf, prepare for !!FUN!!

EDIT: I've had what could be come a very good idea for story-telling. But before starting it, I wanted to ask: Is everyone ok with my dwarf turning out to be some kind of "angel" or semidivine creature who can now only reincarnate into mortal beings?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:59:46 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:35 am »

How, how did I live?  And what are my current injuries and skill levels?

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 07:27:27 am »

Ignore what this previously said.  I'll take the dyer, name him/her... Wolf.

Diary of Wolf, entry 1:  The Preparations
It has been several months since the founders of the Order of the Hillside were exiled to a faraway land.  Several long months of trying to convince my fellows of the order to join them with me in their glorious new home.  While the ruling class calls it "Mirehole", there is no fortress that can be worse than here.  Finally, I managed to work up enough enthusiasm to get three others to join me in a quest to what will soon be known as the Greatest Mountainhome.

Also, Rhyme, go ahead, as far as I'm concerned.  I pulled something similar without asking in Steelhold.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:58:41 pm by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »

I have absolutely no problem with Rhyme's request, so long as it stays within the bounds of reason.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »

Part VI: Slow Work (Summertime Part II)

Gnorm's Logbook:

9th Malachite, 300

I've gotten the chance to become aquainted with two of our migrants. The dyer calls himself "Wolf" and he seems to be a willing member of our group. The animal caretaker is apparently an aspiring mechanic, and insists on calling herself "Doctor Wrench." For convenience, I have compiled information on the two below.

16th Malachite, 300

Both Peregarrette and Mask have been properly interred beneath the earth in caskets, as any dwarf should be. As a testament to their bravery, I've commisioned a statue to be erected in each of their tombs. I shall write of the details of these pieces once they are properly dedicated.

18th Malachite, 300

Another swamp cloud has been sighted today. Not wanting to repeat any of my past mistakes, I have already ordered our horses to come inside and I will see to it that no dwarf leaves this hole until all husks have left.

1st Galena, 300

The statues have been properly dedicated today, and I have recorded my reports on both statues below.

Mask's Statue:

Peregarrette's Statue:

28th Galena, 300

The fortress activity is normalizing to an extent. The clouds of gas continue to be a problem, but no more husks have been spotted as of yet. Rhyme is actually doing a surprisingly good job at taking care of Batdorf, despite lacking any sort of medical experience. I suppose it's a female sort of thing. We continue to dig deeper and deeper, though we haven't been able to find the aquifer yet. I hope to have a functional well by the end of this year, and finding the aquifer will make that job all the more easy. The dry season is only one day away; I hope that we'll be able to survive until the end of this year.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 01:48:01 am »

At least there's no reanimating curse. But just in case - lock my tomb.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 02:35:47 am »

Part VII: Autumn & Winter

Gnorm's Logbook:

I have run out of space in this logbook, so I'll wait until the last day of the year to finish it.

28th Obsidian, 300

Things have gone... variably in the fortress, to say the least. Batdorf has made a recovery, we have three new migrants, and we have discovered a cavern beneath the swamp. We are using it to obtain fresh water, plants, and wood. Also, it turns out that the capital is at least pretending to care about our fortress, for we were able to trade with our fellow dwarves. The current issue at hand, almost all of our livestock has been turned into husks, and we are trapped within our fort. I have decided to resign from my active duty as overseer of this fortress, and shall give it to any dwarf in this outpost that requests it. I am too busy with my duties as manager to handle the stress of maintaining this fortress. To my successor, have it be that Mirehole becomes the greatest of all Dwarven fortresses in this world!

Sorry for the rushed pace of this last post, but I was out of time. 4maskwolf, respond to this thread to confirm your turn; the save will be up soon.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 02:40:44 am »

Here is the save for the end of my turn:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8132

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 03:59:55 am »

This is a legendary silver-bound book. It concerns the dwarf Zuntîr "Rhyme" Rigòthkol. The writing is quite esoteric and difficult to understand. On the cover there is an image of an obsidian giant and an angel. The obsidian giant is casting the angel into exile. It is unkown which historical event the artwork refers to. On the cover there is a sentence written. The sentence says "Memoirs of a Chronist".

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:01 am »

I'll pick up the save later today.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »

Alright, something to tide you all over until I can actually start the game:

Diary of Wolf, entry 2: The Journey
Together, the four of us set out for the far away mountainhome.  It was slow going, crossing mountains and plains, forests and rolling hills, but we finally reached the Mire of Ghosts.  So far, the swamps have certainly lived up to their name.  Every day we spot more undead, every day they get closer to us.  They know we are here.  They are coming for us.  It is only a matter of time.  I hope that Mirehold is close...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »

Diary of Wolf, entry 3: The Arrival
We have arrived! With the vile beings close on our tail, we rushed into the walled courtyard and down the hatch into the fortress proper.  Inside were all the comforts of the mountainhome, though on a much smaller scale.  However, upon speaking with the leader of our order, I heard tragic news.  Two of the founders, Mask and Peregarrette, have fallen in combat with beings they only call "husks".  This is a tragedy!  This is the reason the corrupt nobles sent us here: to die.  Every one of the founders was supposed to die in this place, never to be heard from again.  But with Gnorm leading us, we will march onward into a bright new future, where dwarfs are no longer restricted to the mountains!  Onward!

Diary of Wolf, entry 4: Taking Charge
Our noble leader, Gnorm, has stepped down.
He called us to a meeting in the dining hall today.  He announced his retirement to us, saying that he would choose a new leader by the end of the day.  Batdwarf has recovered from his injuries, and I suspect that he will be chosen as our new leader.  I hope that Gnorm chooses wisely, lest the fortress fall into ruin.

There came a knock on the door, startling Wolf out of his contemplation.  He slowly stood and opened the door, expecting to find Doctor Wrench.  To his surprise, Gnorm was standing on the other side.
"May I come in?"
"Of course, great one.  You are our leader, after all."
A pained expression crossed Gnorm's face, "Don't call me that.  I am no more great than you or any of the other dwarfs who have braved the horrors of this place to join us."
"As you say, so it is."
"Do you know what I came to discuss with you?"
Wolf frowned, "No..."
"I cannot lead the fortress anymore," Gnorm whispered, sadness crossing his face, "It's more tiring than I could have ever imagined."  He turned his head, looking straight into Wolf's eyes, "I would like you to take leadership of the fortress."
Wolf stared at him blankly for several seconds, finally asking, "Why me?  Why not another of the founders?"
A smile briefly crossed Gnorm's face, "You managed to convince three dwarfs to join you in what was probably a suicide mission, off to join leaders who were in all likelyhood long dead.  You could have stayed in the mountainhome, but instead you followed us.  It is that loyalty, that dedication, that makes a good leader.  If you are as dedicated to our cause as I believe you to be, then I have made the right choice."
Wolf chuckled, "After hearing that, how can I not accept.  If it is truly your wishes that I take over, then I shall."
"Thank you," Gnorm said warmly, clapping him on the back, "I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just watch out for the husks."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:20:55 pm by 4maskwolf »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 11:50:47 pm »

Diary of wolf: Spring
1 Granite
Looking over the fortress plans, I must admit that perhaps the fort is a bit too small.  I hesitate to blame Gnorm in this, as he is our founder, but this place is a mess.  The dining room seats 8, and already there are 12 dwarfs in this fortress.  I have ordered a new dining room created along with the creation of food storage and processing facilities across from it.  There are 9 bedrooms and, as I mentioned, 12 dwarfs.  This will have to change.  I have ordered the creation of 12 more bedrooms in the main bedroom area as well as a dormitory to house other members of the order as they arrive.  I have also ordered the miners to dig out a crafting district for stone, wood, and gems.  Gnorm requested to take a look at the stocks, a request to which I readily agreed, making him bookkeeper of Mirehole.
2 Granite
As Batdwarf is the only current military dwarf, I have made myself leader of a new squad, called the Earthen corridors, a group of archers like myself.  Also, Gnorm never seems to have ordered Batdwarf to use the barracks for training.  This has since been remedied.
5 Granite
It seems that Gnorm decided to put the lever that would seal off the fortress from the caverns far from the main portion of the fortress.   It would take too long to rectify this, but I am beginning to doubt Gnorm’s judgement as our leader.
11 Granite
Today I ordered that our engravers engrave some of the bedrooms, in order to brighten up the fort.  It’s getting annoying to step around rough rocks when I want to sleep.
14 Granite
Okay, why do we have a glass forge.  It’s not like there’s any usable sand around here.  Perhaps they had sand before I got here.  I have ordered it removed to make room for another workshop.
16 Granite
Oh so THAT’S where batdwarf was training.  I didn’t realize there were two barracks.
1 Slate
I have ordered the miners to dig out an area that will act as a tree and plant farm on the upper level.  The husks of our livestock still won’t stop loitering outside the walls, so the fortress is on lockdown mode until future notice.
14 Slate
Well, some unfortunate migrants arrived today.  Let’s see if they make it to the fortress without getting spotted by the husks.
4 Felsite
Most of the migrants were slaughtered by the husks, but a handful made it inside the fortress.  Unfortunately, some of the other dwarfs decided to run out and try to help them and were killed.  Nobody I knew well, thankfully, but some dwarfs.  There are currently 15 dwarfs in the fortress.
19 Felsite
Elves have arrived!  I hate the bastards; I hope the husks slaughter them all.
28 Felsite
Dr. Wrench is back! She gave us all a scare when she ran out of the fortress to “pasture an animal”, but today she arrived back with the piglet in tow.  We held a feast in honor of her bravery: and locked the doors!
Thus ends spring.

Edit: Changed all instances of "Mirehold" to "Mirehole" Also, don't expect screenshots, I can't do them very well, but I'm going to post a file for this season's work to change computers, so you can see what I'm up to.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:00:18 am by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:05 am »

Most of the migrants had spouses, we actually had just enough bedrooms for everyone. A hex on you and your kin for doubting my fortress managing skills!

On a more serious note, be sure to properly dwarf applicable migrants to the request of the followers of this thread. Don't forget to inter/memorialize the fallen migrants.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 12:09:38 am »

Yeah, and also, could there be a list on the OP in the future for easy reference to the requests.  I haven't done it yet, will do so tomorrow.

Alright, Archmage gets the armorsmith and Karma can have the injured metalcrafter

ShadowHammer, you'll have to wait, Archmage asked first.  Blenheim, I'll see about you.  I haven't lost any named dwarfs on my watch, so nobody needs redorf (though I swore for a moment there we were going to lose Perregarrett's SECOND dwarf, she made it back inside.  Phew.  That would have sucked.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:16:49 am by 4maskwolf »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15