Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 24506 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 11:50:28 am »

If you can capture a husk, they make excellent archery training targets, because it is literally impossible to kill them with bolts.

• Bay Watcher
  • A fine microcline table
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »

Oh man, this is going to go so well. This is just two pages long and i'm already snickering like mad.

If you happen to get an anythingsmith in your next immigrant wave, may i get one of them dorfed for me? I'd love to see how well it'd go for him/her (probably not good, though.)
[BREAKONSERVER]

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 08:10:13 pm »

Part IV: Felsite

Gnorm's Logbook:

1st Felsite, 300

All seven bedrooms are now in a finished-state as of today. As long as the swamp itself doesn't release poison into the stone down here, our fortress will be far more homely.

4th Felsite, 300

The outer wall surrounding the hatchway is now complete. Those husks will now have to break their way through these great salt walls in order for them to take us!

10th Felsite, 300

At Mask's request for further security of the fortress, I have had several cage traps designated near the entrypoint. Should any husks manage to penetrate our defenses, they'll be sealed tight within a stong, wooden cage. Peregarrette, our only mechanic, has already completed one, though she seems more interested in her crossbow training.

On the topic of defense, Batdorf recently came to me and complained about what he called "special accomodations" for Peregarrette. He requested a promotion in the milita, as well as a training area of his own. Seeing as we only have three members of our militia, I was more than happy to promote him to the rank of captain. The barracks has been more difficult to create; the section has been dug out, but Batdorf insistst that it doesn't count unless there is a storage unit for his "equipment" in it. When I reminded him that we did not have any equipment for him, he quickly terminated the conversation after, of course, reminding me that it was indeed a necesity.

19th Felsite, 300

Batdorf's training area has finally been completed, and he has happily taken to training within it. I suppose that it is in the best interest of the fortress that our militia-dwarves are prepared to fight of any possible threats. Speaking of which, Rhyme was warning me just the other day about the giant thrips that she noticed flying about the swamp.

I tried to calmly remind her that a giant insect is not nearly as dangerous as some of the other creatures that we'll be faced with here, but she has refused to lower her guard. Perhaps I should let Peregarrette shoot a couple down.

22nd Felsite, 300

Today I ordered the miners to dig out a dining hall in the stone below. I've grown tired of drinking my wine and eating my mushrooms in the stockpiles. If we are to have a fortress that will show the outside world the capabilities of a non-mountainous-outpost, it must have all the comforts of a proper mountain hall.

24th Felsite, 300

Another cloud of that horrible swamp gas was spotted coming in our direction today. Quickly I ordered all of my men inside and had the hatchway sealed tight behind us.

28th Felsite, 300

The swamp gases can still be spelt, indicating that the they are still spreading about outside. We have been doing quite well down here, though there was a slight inkling that I had forgotten something important that had been lingering in my mind for the past few days. This morning, I realized what it was.

We forgot the horses!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:46 am »

Husks... With hooves.
Killable by three things: beheading, bisection, and atom smashing.
Also, they retain their trap avoid, because they were once part of the fortress.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:50 am »

Good thing the horses don't have a horn attached to their foreheads. ;-;
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 02:03:03 am »

-They say that husks are great archery targets. And we have two huskified horses outside. We should capture them. If cages don't work, then capture room should do the thing!
Also, we need a smasher to utilize corpses and bodyparts
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 04:22:38 am »

Not that I am a pessimist, but shouldn't husked tame animals keep their trapavoid tag?
Also, good luck killing those bastards.
error: 'long long long' is too long

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 04:39:43 am »

So we now have husked horses of doom that avoid our traps... Migrants are sooooo screwed.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 06:34:29 am »

Oh carp...
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

Blenheim Datandur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 04:30:34 pm »

Oh sweet baby J. I've never played on a Haunted biome before, and it will probably end in !!!FUN!!!, but...

SIGN ME UP!
Name: Blenheim
Profession: Preferably something to do with (a)Axedwarf, (b)Marksdwarf, or (c)anything involving Mining, Engraving, Masonry, etc.
Also, bonus points if you can find the derpiest dwarf with any of these characteristics, to mirror my ACTUAL experience level with this game.

Please and Thank You!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

*Getting downstairs with quiver empty of bolts*
- Guess who is that - hooves, mane, tail, and a punctioned with needles like a hedgehog?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 02:29:14 am »

The next parts will be seasonal, and will be up soon. Sorry that I have kept everyone waiting.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 09:31:15 am »

It's ok to me. I've still have one week of exams before I can even think of playing DF.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 02:06:27 am »

Part V: Defeat (Summertime Part I)

Gnorm's Logbook

1st Hematite, 300

As soon as I realized my error, very early this morning, I rushed to the entry hatch, forced the lock open, and whistled to the horses to come inside the hole. They quickly caught on to my signal, especially after noticing the incoming gas. I do hope that they'll make it inside in time. I don't want such creatures to become mindless monsters.

5th Hematite, 300

I have great news to report today! The horses did indeed make it inside the fortress before the toxic swamp gas had the chance to turn them.

While I believe the gas storm has receded, we  are not out of the woods yet. I sent Batdorf outside to scout the area, and he reported to me the locations of two husks.

Peregarrette immediately volunteered to fight them off. I was hesitant in my answer; so hesitant, in fact, that Peregarrette ran outside with her crossbow before I could say a word. I hope that she doesn't get herself killed.

20th Hematite, 300

Things have indeed gone quite poorly for us here in Mirehole. Peregarrette was not match for the giant grasshopper husk, and Mask and Batdorf rushed to assist her. The battle lasted for several days, but eventually our heroes were overwhelmed by the enemy, resulting in the deaths of Mask and Peregarrette. We are now, once again, dug into our fortress, and Batdorf is currently resting from his injuries. Due to his current situation, I have given Rhyme full authorization to perform makeshift medical procedures on him. The last thing we need is to lose our last remaining soldier.

7th Malachite, 300

I've not had any reason to write until now. It seems as if, even after they became aware of the locasion of the fortress, our cause still has followers. Migrants have come to contribute to the growth and development of this fortress. After the deaths of my two dear friends, this is just the encouragement I needed. The migrants are as follows:
1 Dyer
1 Shearer
1 Woodworker
1 Animal Caretaker
In full honesty, after observing the professions of our newcomers, I am not entirely convinced that they will be of much use to us. However, if they truly wish to help our cause, they will be eager to do whatever profession is asked of them.

I'm sorry about the deaths of Mask and Peregarrette, I felt bad about providing you guys with somewhat of an anti-climax regarding the horses, and I wished to provide a battle for those who have been following the thread. The three soldiers actually managed to wound the husk to a great degree, and the aforesaid husk obtained a short legendary title for itself, so perhaps we'll see it referenced in some of our art later. If anyone would like to be re-dwarfed, just input your request, but please come up with a new name, instead of simply adding "II" to the new dwarf. Lastly, I'm afraid that the new migrants do not fit any of the current dwarfing requests on this thread, so if anyone would prefer to alter their requests and be dwarfed now, simply ask.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:00 am »

Give me that animal caretaker and train him (her?) as mechanic. It's time to get rid of those husks, with huge crashing bridge on their heads.

EDIT: Name is Doctor Wrench
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:23:24 am by peregarrett »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15