Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]  (Read 20229 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 09:57:09 am »

I would agree but a chef knows how to make a pie better than a pan or an oven.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 09:59:31 am »

I said it was related to the trade. And if a completely nonmagical dwarf can figure out how to enchant something, I think said dwarf could also figure out how to make an oven from the same source.

Oh, and I almost forgot: It's not just profession that affects the artifact, but personality and hobbies, as specifically noted. A passionate chef would be more likely to make an enchanted salsa or something than enchanted ice cream; a chef who played chess in his free time might make a magical chess set.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 09:59:55 am »

Honestly, I'd rather not have 'standard fantasy races', or atleast not the generic versions that usually pop up. This forum doesn't seem to be able to create dwarves that aren't carbon copy DF dwarves. (But not a Palette, just a worry - I have a little faith!)
Woah time out there. You do realize that with at least 90% of all fantasy races, the "My (Fantasy Race) is Different" statement never works.
An Elf is always a Long Eared, Long Life, Great Grace and Nature Connected Being.
A Dwarf is ALWAYS a Deep Digging, Metal Mastering, War Loving, Dunkard and Dieing to Hoards of Goblin/Orcish foes as well as possible digging too deep for their own good.
ORCS are WAR MAD, Blood Bathing, Angry and Semi Nomadic Neathadalic Monsters and almost always green with long teeth/tusks.
Goblins are Orcs but scaled down and more crazy or selfdestructive.
Halflings/Hobbits are the Hairy Footed, child sized, adventurous and more Humanized Dwarven race.
And countless other races that you can think of...

If you take any of those Fantasy Race and put them into a world different to the one they come from in replacement of their counterparts, the differences would be limited. There are few times you see an Orc Race not being War Crazy with Blood all over them, one being where they were Nomadic Vegetarians that acted like an Tauran would from WoW_

Heck there is basicly a TVTropes Page about this, (do not click for own safety), called "Our Dwarves are Different".

Sorry to be snapping there, but unless you want to create a brand new fantasy Race or something, the only way to avoid creating a carbon copy of the base design presented to you due to all forms of media, is to use the safest race and that is to go Human. A Human is boring and plan but can be anything that he strives to be, which is commonly why Humans are the most expansive race in almost all Fantasy Worlds as their is nothing holding back a Human except for their own actions. Elves stick to forests, Dwarves Mountains and so forth, while a Human can exist anywhere, Be anything and Do anything. This is commonly also why when you come to things like DnD and the like a Human is not limited and has nothing special about them cause in the end their possible outcome is endless compared to say an Elf who can go Archer/Wizard/Druid easily...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:38 am »

And I didn't say it wasn't ok, it's just that you made it sound like simply copying and mass producing. And I am opposed to the idea of mass producing anything magical. I like the idea of dwarves creating things with magic powers by simply creating things so awesome (and made of so awesome materials) that they warp reality. It's just that I prefer to think on having a few powerful artifacts created by a handful of master artesans each generation of few generations (and probably those artifacts would end up being destroyed if magic backfires as proposed) than on a mass producing +3 quality swords that fire fireballs (I'm sorry if that's not what you had in mind, but that's what I understood)
Ah.
Mass production requires being able to reliably create large numbers of products with a predictable set of qualities. The system I intended to propose has none of these.
In an ideal world, each dwarf would make one artifact. That production is low enough, but factors such as early death, lack of inspiration, or lack of required materials would reduce it significantly; I wouldn't be surprised in only about half of dwarves made their artifacts.
In addition, the only way to get an artifact with qualities you want is to find and buy a premade artifact with those qualities. A master chef is as likely to develop a pie that regenerates itself when it's eaten as, say, an oven that doesn't need fuel or a magically nonstick pan.
You do realize that half the population would still be really massive, right? And I don't know if that amount of artifacts suits the theme of magic being really rare. (I'm not criticizing, it's just I can't make sense between magic being extremely rare and trying to keep far from D&D's "mundane magic" and half the population of an entire race creating one artifact)
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 10:03:08 am »

And while we're at it:
No alien races. By that, I mean I'd rather not stray too far from the "regular" cast of fantasy races. Cosmetic changes and unique spins on the elves or dwarves is fine (and quite welcome!) as is inclusion of some of the less common races like kitsunes or gnolls or whatever, but I don't want to have crazy unique Mary Sue races in the game. No psionic starfish people with invisibility abilities, or stuff like that. If they're hard to relate to, they're not appropriate for this game IMO. Cool monsters, yes, whole civilizations of them, no.
We're supposed to keep the regular fantasy races fairly close to type.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:04 am »

Whoo unexpected interest!

Players:

monk12
mcclay
kj1225
Chink
IamanElfCollaberator
evilcherry

Waitlist: Rhyme, Digital Hellhound, Child of Armok, Kashyyk, GreatWyrmGold

If the waitlisters would like, we could set up a second game, make a whole different setting. Yea/Nay?

I'll be back in a bit to discuss the Palette, just gotta run some errands quick.

FAKEEDIT SO MANY NINJAS

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:49 am »

Yes for me, if it's the only way to play. The idea was really interesting, and designing fantasy worlds has always been a hobby of mine. (And who knows, perhaps multiverse crossover thingie will come out at some point  :P)
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:26 am »

Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:10 am »

This is a game!?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

Well, you could argue that putting them to work is certainly not worse than outright killing them because they're in the way of your treasure. Either is hardly morally defensible, no?
No, killing them is more humane knowing what people will probably try and use them for if you enslave them.

Some people may feel that way, yes. But it's not like adventurers are all altruists who care about being humane to monsters when conscious of the possible rewards of not doing so. To them it could be a perfectly valid approach to adventuring.

ORCS are WAR MAD, Blood Bathing, Angry and Semi Nomadic Neathadalic Monsters and almost always green with long teeth/tusks.

I'm kind of disappointed that Orcs are rarely associated with industrialization anymore. Seems like a missed opportunity, really.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:47 am »

Dwarves edged them out, I guess.
Sig

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 10:08:02 am »

And that's going to my signature XD
I thought you knew, but I must have slipped while counting, because I thought I was in.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:18 am »

This just doesn't seem like the kind of game to use that.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:34 am »

Well, you could argue that putting them to work is certainly not worse than outright killing them because they're in the way of your treasure. Either is hardly morally defensible, no?
No, killing them is more humane knowing what people will probably try and use them for if you enslave them.

Some people may feel that way, yes. But it's not like adventurers are all altruists who care about being humane to monsters when conscious of the possible rewards of not doing so. To them it could be a perfectly valid approach to adventuring.

You don't seem to understand so I'll be subtle about this. I THINK PEOPLE WILL RAPE THE MONSTERS OR HAVE THE MONSTERS RAPE OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE WHO OTHER THAN AN INSANE AND EXTREMELY SICK INDIVIDUAL WOULD BUY A MONSTER FOR A SLAVE?

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:48 am »

Well, without a limit for players it would have too many suggestions. Agreeing on the palette would be impossible, and it would end up like WH40K fluff (all messed up, not being rewritten by an idiot)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7