Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48630 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.
« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »

Yeah, why not.

Accept offer of car ride, and if motorcycle doesn't fit in car, try to cram supplies on motorcycle into car.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #451 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:12 am »

((Kri, if you want to talk to Rico, you'll have to start the conversation. Unless it was just a 'get IC info' thing?))

Look around in the booth for anything interesting. Then try to open that gate.
Other then the door control, the booth is basically empty: there's a chair near the controls, a discarded paperback book in the corner, a wastepaper basket and a desk lamp balanced atop the control box, but nothing else. You flip the switch to "Open" and a small motor somewhere nearby clunks on and drags the door open, raising a small cloud of dust where the bottom scrapes against the ground. Something thumps loudly against the roof of the shed just as you step outside. Against your better judgement, you grip the edge of the shack and hop up, pulling yourself up far enough to see the top of the roof. There's a dead bird laying there. A pigeon, all mangled as though it fell from quite a height.

((Kri, if you want to talk to Rico, you'll have to start the conversation. Unless it was just a 'get IC info' thing?))

(( Yeah, it was just a 'get your location and check if the 2-way is working' sort of thing. I'll post some text anyway. :P ))

Got a call back from the other doctor. He found another one, the city is burning, and the national guard are here enforcing martial law.
He's planning to link up and pool our effort, since we don't seem to be going insane the same way others are. Where did you head off to?

Chat, chat, chat.

Investigate the internet further, starting with the ads and page source. Make backup copies and then use the nice shiny network tools.

You attempt to follow the ads and look up the page source; to generally look into what the heck is going on. But what you find isn't anything comprehensible, the source isn't the normal HTML script studded with links and javascript you'd expect to see on these kinds of sites. It's nothing but a solid wall of strange symbols, which seem to be arranged in tessellated octagons, which all fit together perfectly with no spaces between them. It takes you a moment of looking, your eyes continuously attempting to unfocus and tear up, to realize that tessellating octagons should be impossible.  You close the source after only maybe 30 seconds, but your eyes feel like they've got sand in them, and your head hurts like someone has pounded a nail into the top of your head.
Not Kriellya. Kriellya debugs the apocalypse and works on rescuing the internet.))

((Clearly this man has his priorities in order.))

Well, it's worth a try, right?  The house should remain standing.

Ensure the pistol (and all the spare ammo) is hidden in the provisions packed in the car, then drive to the library to check it out.  See if there is a computer available to see if he could research the symbol.
You make sure your weapon and its ammo are hidden away in your car and then drive to the library. On your way, you see something strange. There's several dead animals along the way, just laying by the road or somewhere you can see. Dead birds mostly, but a stray dog or two as well.

When you reach the library you find the main entrance closed, bound up in hazard tape. It's not police tape, but something similar: red plastic tape with "Danger" written on it. It's been wrapped around the handles of the front doors, as well as forming a spiderweb around the two pillars closest to the door, handrails on the stairs up to the front entrance, everywhere near the door is covered in the stuff, stray strands of it fluttering in the breeze.

Yeah, why not.

Accept offer of car ride, and if motorcycle doesn't fit in car, try to cram supplies on motorcycle into car.
The junkyard‽ That's an odd place to try to ride out something like this, but hey - hopefully it's out of the way enough that we don't get insane people mobbing us. I'll meet you there, hopefully with this guy I'm with.

Sam turns to the other man.

I hope you have your tetanus shots. Want to ride along in my car? A motorcycle doesn't strike me as very appropriate transport around a quarantined and military-controlled city, though we could probably bring it along regardless.

Sam offers the man a ride, and tries to find a way to bring the man's bike along if it's accepted. Either way, he drives to the junkyard and looks around for the other two that he's met.
The bags are stripped from the motorcycle and stuffed in the car, and then the motorcycle is lugged up onto the roof of the car and secured using the cords that were holding the luggage to the bike. It's not a pretty or terribly effective set up; it's going to scratch the hell out of the roof of the car, and if you take any turns very hard, you're probably gonna lose the bike, but it's the best that you can do at the moment. Once everything is loaded, you pile into the car and start driving, heading for the junkyard. It's a fairly long drive, and you make sure to stay away from the fires as best you can. The streets are coming alive in the morning hours and crowds, great knots of people, are blocking the streets in some places. The National guard, already stretched thin by the chaos, is a scattered and ineffectual presence from what you can see; they're roaming in groups, often driving hummers or jeeps, hunting for something it seems, judging by the way they're constantly sweeping their rifles around. You hear gunfire in the distance every now and again, scattered and sporadic, but disquieting none the less.

You reach the Junkyard without issue and pull up behind the truck thats already parked outside the main entrance. It's driver is standing near the door control booth, looking worried.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »

Grab the paperback and check what it is.

Noticing the car that just arrived, Rico waves at it and moves closer.

"Couldn't resist the call of Armageddon Party, could you?"

After talking, he gets in his car and slowly starts driving inside.

((PW, could you perhaps describe the junkyard in some more detail please?))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:26:51 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »

Continue being driven.

I suspect not! What's your name? Seeing how things have gone to shit, we might as well get aquainted. I'm Pat.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2014, 07:39:50 pm »

That's... odd.  Probably a bad idea, but it's worth checking out.

Taking pistol, go check out the doors and building exterior.  Don't go in yet, but poke around and peek in windows and such.  What's going on?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:21 am »

It seems anyone with our... state is immune to whatever's causing the madness - based off of a personal assumption, that is. I'm fairly sure that were something like the not true, I'd have gone insane already, since it seemed to start with the doctors. It only makes sense for us to collaborate - it makes our chances of surviving that much more likely... if anything can survive this, that is. I'm Samuel Richard. Me and Pat were in the same apartment complex when it started burning.

Drive behind the other guy into the yard.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:23 am »

(( Hmm.... Alright, that will work. Yell at me if this is too meta and I'll just head to the junkyard XD ))

Ooooo, my head... what was that? Interference... or just more corruption? Maybe a wired connection would be clearer...

Drive to the library. Watch the city on the way

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »

Grab the paperback and check what it is.

Noticing the car that just arrived, Rico waves at it and moves closer.

"Couldn't resist the call of Armageddon Party, could you?"

After talking, he gets in his car and slowly starts driving inside.

((PW, could you perhaps describe the junkyard in some more detail please?))

You walk back into the room and pick up the book in the corner. It's got a cartoonish picture of a widely smiling man with a hard to place expression on the front. The text on the cover reads "The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross"

Great, the universe has a sense of humor.

Continue being driven.

I suspect not! What's your name? Seeing how things have gone to shit, we might as well get aquainted. I'm Pat.
It seems anyone with our... state is immune to whatever's causing the madness - based off of a personal assumption, that is. I'm fairly sure that were something like the not true, I'd have gone insane already, since it seemed to start with the doctors. It only makes sense for us to collaborate - it makes our chances of surviving that much more likely... if anything can survive this, that is. I'm Samuel Richard. Me and Pat were in the same apartment complex when it started burning.

Drive behind the other guy into the yard.

All three of you drive into the junkyard, and Rico shuts  the gate behind the other car.

The junkyard is a vast expanse of dirt and dead grass, frostbitten and dusted with salt from the sea breeze that blows in from the south. Originally it was owned by the airforce, who kept dead planes here, waiting to be parted out or repaired; the airstrip is still sitting in the center of the complex, a crumbling line of grass laden asphalt with mounds of crushed cars and scrap metal squatting beside it. After the end of the second world war- or was it the vietnam war?- when the super fortresses no longer needed to crawl the skies, the area, along with several miles worth of vacant dirt, and its contents were purchased by some corporation or another,  which began using the site to store scrap. That what it really is, just one stop on the death march of old steel to some smelter up north in Michigan, a temporary holding place for the overflow of this and the surrounding states. It's nearly 10 miles long and two or so wide, 4 at its widest section, with much of that empty at the moment. But near the entrance, and the train tracks which cut through it over toward the east, there's a seemingly endless series of monoliths, free standing stacks of cars and metal like the standing stones erected by the primitive natives of the car obsessed 50's. And over, a bit farther south, are the skeletons and not quite so skeletons of the ancient aircraft. In all, a quiet, largely inhospitable wasteland with little to attract anyone starved for food or water.

That's... odd.  Probably a bad idea, but it's worth checking out.

Taking pistol, go check out the doors and building exterior.  Don't go in yet, but poke around and peek in windows and such.  What's going on?
You take the pistol, keeping it concealed in one pocket as you carefully check the exterior of the building, walking the perimeter. Most windows are too far up to easily peer into, but the ones nearer to the entrance are down far enough for you to look through. It's dark inside, but from what you can see, or at least think you can see, the library has been ransacked. It looks like several shelves near the entrance have been toppled over  and desks and chairs are scattered about. Worryingly, the desks and shelves have metal rods sticking out of their bases: they were bolted into the concrete before someone tore them out and flipped them over.

(( Hmm.... Alright, that will work. Yell at me if this is too meta and I'll just head to the junkyard XD ))

Ooooo, my head... what was that? Interference... or just more corruption? Maybe a wired connection would be clearer...

Drive to the library. Watch the city on the way
The city, from what you can see, is in shock. Rioting and looting hasn't started yet, but the scattered throngs of people and the roving gangs of guardsmen make it seem as though it can't be far away. There's a palpable tension in the air, fear and insecurity building. Soon more fires will start, soon people will start to get hungry and angry and they'll start looking for safe places. The instincts, burned deep into simian brains since they emerged on the grasslands of Africa, will take over and the hunting and gathering, the tribal segregation, the warfare for territory, it will start again as though the last 7000 years of civilization was just a momentary diversion. The lions are at the doorstep, and the old fears were never truly forgotten.

As you pull up into the library parking lot you notice a man walking around, peaking into the building's windows. He's got his hand in his pocket in a rather worrying fashion, holding something in it like it's his one lifeline out of the clawing cold sea of uncertainty which everyone seems to have suddenly found themselves in.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 27, 2014, 08:11:52 am »

Goddammit, I know that writing style, I just can't place it, that constant over-writing of analogies and quick wit.
Piecewise, I'm thinking you are a brain composed of famous writers now.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:59 am »

Try to find a good place to act as a 'base camp'. Preferably a bit out of sight, but with a good 'lookout point' nearby.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:44 am »

Well, can't say I've seen friendlier. Anyone else coming here or is that everyone?

Is there a gate? If so, get out the car after it stops and close the gate - lock it if I can. Better safe then sorry.
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2014, 05:30:50 am »

(( RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Thomas creeps up behind the creepy man and creeps until he gets shot
*cough* ))

Thomas gets out and starts walking towards the doors. He pauses as he gets close enough to see the tape on the doors, then starts walking towards the other man.

HEY! Know anything about the tape on the door?

walkandtalkandwalkandtalkand....

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:25 am »

Brian started a bit on hearing a voice.  He whirled around and looked the person, ready to run, but realized that it was only one guy, and he didn't look threatening.  Why was he so nervous?

"No idea.  I was going to check the Internet to..."  Hmm... no need to mention the picture yet.  "...to see if I could figure more out about the weird stuff going on.  It looks pretty smashed up in there, though."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 30, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »

Huh... what a coincidence. I was headed here to do the same thing. Well, continue the same thing... I've got a wireless connection in my van, but it was... less than helpful.

Thomas heads to a window and looks in at the wreckage

... Think whatever caused that is still in there?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »

Brian shook his head.  "I don't know, and I don't care to find out.  Do you know anything besides that there are crazy doctors, fires everywhere, and apparently no firefighters anywhere?"
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37