Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132593 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »

However, if it really does not provide anything important to the game, then yes, maybe better not to add them.
Then justify the inclusion of, say, wax. Or a word that caused whatever it is to appear in front of you, which I should note is the default.
Also the word *Where im pointing at*. Wax: Its an material, i dont see why it shouldnt be there. Nano is more of an concept, or in any case, an material. But tell me: What would saying just Nano do? You would have to say Nano Repair Self, in which case it would be shorter and more efficient to say: Repair Fullbody. Thus it isnt really any useful. Anything you can really do with it can be done with current words, overall Machine.
While im not agaisnt it being added for flavour (Its not like this was something that you have to work whole day to code), it doesnt really have to much use.
Not "Nano". "Nanotech". It comes with a set of functions not like any you could succinctly describe in other words, scaling differently with success and failure. "Nanotech Self" wouldn't just heal you. It would heal you by absorbing matter around you. It would give you a chance to spontaneously absorb matter you touch, and perhaps grow, or even completely replicate. It could go haywire when damaged, spawning little grey goo globules that would make rolls every turn to keep growing, endangering the environment. Etc, etc. It's half object and half material - a material made of objects.
*Absorb/Drain What im touching Convert Heal Permanently*
Or
*Living Goo (Material) Sphere Absorb/Drain What it touches Grow Permanently*
Now see how many other words you can reproduce this way. ^_^
It's a composite material, more flexible in use than the mess of words you can use to recreate it. Just because you can make molten rock is no reason not to make Magma a separate material, for instance.
True, thats why i said that im not agaisnt it being added but that it doesnt add any new stuff, just makes some stuff somewhat easier to do.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:20 pm »

Just because you can make molten rock is no reason not to make Magma a separate material, for instance.
Especially since you'd probably need to add Flaming to make it magma-ey. Which fits quite well into the analogy.

True, thats why i said that im not agaisnt it being added but that it doesnt add any new stuff, just makes some stuff somewhat easier to do.
More importantly, it adds another potential Myxidia which doubles as a Garstopit--that is, another word that could be hilarious to summon accidentally/while testing, but would be a great potential weapon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »

I'd like a word to affect how golems act.
"Childish Golem", then teach it the arts of Garstopit-fu.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »

Just because you can make molten rock is no reason not to make Magma a separate material, for instance.
Especially since you'd probably need to add Flaming to make it magma-ey. Which fits quite well into the analogy.

More importantly, it adds another potential Myxidia which doubles as a Garstopit--that is, another word that could be hilarious to summon accidentally/while testing, but would be a great potential weapon.
I suggested the word for Disease/Virus/Plague long long ago, which would already do that.

If you make them sentient and control them, they will act the way to tell them to act. Thus you give them the personality you wish them to posess.

Also, what about a Dust word for form? (Not the distorsidust material), but for example: Crystal Dust.

Also: Crazy spell of the day!
Whole Body Giant Magic Eldritch Steel Strong Fast Agile Resistant Potency+ Will+ Dragon, Poison Teeth, Magic Draining Crystal Gas Breath, Arcane Energy Necromantic Life Drain Eye Beams, Solid Dark Magma Claws, Solid Acid Horns, Solid Darkness Strenght Absorb Wings.

Description: Making yourself into a giant otherwordly steel dragon with a +1 to every stats, with powerful breath with drains opponents magic and solidifies them into crystal statues, capable of firing necromantic lasers from eyes which drain enemies lifeforce, with claws made of solified burning darkness, solid acid horns, and wings made of pure darkness which arsorb the strenght of those who dares to fight you.

Numbers of Words: 38.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:09:04 pm by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2013, 08:03:58 pm »

Description: Making yourself into a giant otherwordly steel dragon with a +1 to every stats, with powerful breath with drains opponents magic and solidifies them into crystal statues, capable of firing necromantic lasers from eyes which drain enemies lifeforce, with claws made of solified burning darkness, solid acid horns, and wings made of pure darkness which arsorb the strenght of those who dares to fight you.

I do love these. Although you'd probably also need a strong Will to handle all that awesomeness.

But it does show how Perplexicon becomes a superhero game in the very late game. One of the things I actually find very interesting about it, how the playstyles change as the game goes on. From the beginning (Fighter characters work!) to slowly getting more powerful, to magma men, to ultimate wizards, to Eldritch monstrocities. Fun stuff. Once Piecewise gets done with the book, it should really be adapted to be able to be played as a tabletop game. (In case nobody noticed, just about everything I say right now on this thread devolves into a rant about the potential of Perplexicon and so on. Sorry.)
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2013, 10:01:26 pm »

I suggested the word for Disease/Virus/Plague long long ago, which would already do that.
1. I'm not arguing that we need Myxidia/Garstopit words, I'm arguing that more of each is good.

If you make them sentient and control them, they will act the way to tell them to act. Thus you give them the personality you wish them to posess.
Again with the "X does Y, why do we need Z to do Y as well?"
Explain wax. Explain "Create Ahead". Explain "Target Left Hand".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2013, 02:55:38 am »

1. I'm not arguing that we need Myxidia/Garstopit words, I'm arguing that more of each is good.

Again with the "X does Y, why do we need Z to do Y as well?"
Explain wax. Explain "Create Ahead". Explain "Target Left Hand".
While im not agaisnt materials with properties such as Nanotech being added, personalities based on potency and pool rather than will just seem overkill for me.

I do love these. Although you'd probably also need a strong Will to handle all that awesomeness.

But it does show how Perplexicon becomes a superhero game in the very late game. One of the things I actually find very interesting about it, how the playstyles change as the game goes on. From the beginning (Fighter characters work!) to slowly getting more powerful, to magma men, to ultimate wizards, to Eldritch monstrocities. Fun stuff. Once Piecewise gets done with the book, it should really be adapted to be able to be played as a tabletop game. (In case nobody noticed, just about everything I say right now on this thread devolves into a rant about the potential of Perplexicon and so on. Sorry.)
If we say you had 8 pool and 1 potency at beggining, you would need 42 souls. 30 souls for pool+12 for will for it to be somewhat safe. Still, if rather have 50 with 18 will and 40 pool, because then i have a +3 to will and can overdrive 3 pool onto potency to get a +2, if combined with a focus. (In Pit Of Magic, atleast)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:58:37 am by Sarzael »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

What about Immaterial or Ethereal as a modifier that is used instead of Illusion? Basically, it would allows stuff to be made without an element word and retain Illusion's effect of making elements non-reactive and intangible. It could allow players to make weapons that apply enchantments on hit (with the enchantment's severity being determined by a dice roll) and also, using runes, create objects made out of a dimensional rift.
Immaterial is an word in Toaster game (If im right) so i dont see why not. However i would like if Immaterial stuff could hit other immaterial stuff.
We actually did have a modifier for immaterial or illusion. Things made with it would appear to be real, but could cause no damage or otherwise interact with the world. It was originally inspired by a game called "Chaos: battle of wizards", a game on DOS where you would fight other wizards. Illusions looked and acted like real spells and could be used to trick people into thinking you're much more powerful or well protected then you really are. It did the same thing here, it was just never really used.

Nanotech seems reasonable as a complex substance with set qualities. Just gotta make sure those qualities are well defined before it becomes Metal gear solid 4 up in here.

Effecting things by writing the words on them seems reasonable too. I could argue that you might want to have the words show up as runes or something instead of just "Zentol" but such a thing is very reasonable.

Now, I've been confounded by business lately, but I am still working on this. I have something new for you guys to do:

Name me a spell you like and describe it.  It's name, what it does, that sort of thing. It can be from another RPG or just something made up. I want to have perplexicon be expansive enough to do most things that people want to do, so this can help me think of not only new substances but new ways to use them and new ways to adapt the system.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

BSOD from Magicka. It crashes a monsters, players, or your own game.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2013, 03:47:20 pm »

(I've skimmed a small fraction [3/17] of the thread, but saw conversation involving specific elements and tweakable technical details instead of anything leading to the answer to--)

Piecewise, are you trying to make a set format for how words make spells and a specific list of words, or are you trying to make a system by which such formats are made? I thought half the fun of these games was that the magic system acted as a powerful and dangerous unknown, where your assumptions about how it works get challenged nearly every time you or someone else uses it... if every instance of the game can be relied upon to use the same basic concepts and format, that great unknown vanishes fast.

Is there already a list of possible major mechanics?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2013, 03:57:18 pm »

Sure, let me just get that FATAL rulebook...

...nah. :P

Let's see... well, a spell I'd like to see would be "animate art". Or, perhaps more accurately, "realize art". An animal, no matter how badly drawn, becomes real. A painting of a meadow becomes a window into that meadow, a world limited by what is shown on the painting. That kind of thing.

A spell I think that would be neat to have, would be, quite curiously, a reaction spell. Being a player of MtG at one point, I keep wondering - does Perplexicon allow for something like Counterspell? Not Dispel, not removing an active magical effect. Rather, "whatever is being cast where I am pointing at, is retroactively not".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »

Hmm.  I was talking to Toaster recently about some of his new stuff, and I think some of that should definitely go in.  But I'll let Toaster decide whether or not to tell you himself.

I like Sean's counterspell idea.  Other things I've thought of are a reciprocating spell- you know, where they stab you and you both suffer the wound, like Flux's highest level boon.  Or a spell that causes both you and your enemy to be affected, but automatically gets a five for potency or something.

Another thought, we don't have words for mental states, like insanity.  Although, using "Break" and "Mind" together could work.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2013, 08:19:44 pm »

((Hm...Prismatic Spray of Dungeons and Dragons comes to mind, but having randomness within a single spell seems a bit...eh.))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »

Hmm.  I was talking to Toaster recently about some of his new stuff, and I think some of that should definitely go in.  But I'll let Toaster decide whether or not to tell you himself.

PW: Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss this.

Anyway, let's see.  Summoning a giant tornado surrounding you that you can surf around the arena on and smash nearby enemies into walls.

A massive gust of wind shooting everyone nearby- self included- straight up.

A rain of icicles.

Raising your fist to the sky, having lightning strike it, then punching someone with all the power of that bolt.

Stomping your foot to generate shockwaves that knock nearby people down.

Shouting with enough force to bowl people over.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »

Hm...Prismatic Spray of Dungeons and Dragons comes to mind, but having randomness within a single spell seems a bit...eh.
I think the slightly more general thing you're looking for is a word "of Wonder"; something that changes a spell by trading predictability for power, and would usually give the advantage to whoever can react and adapt fast enough. Unlike the generator in the link though, the one used for this probably shouldn't use a list of finished effects, but instead an ad-lib generator or— Toaster has a fairly simple method, for a wand in his game, that rolls for number and selection of words, then casts the resulting spell for free; but, if that were incorporated directly into the current player spell system, it would just result in a word that wastes mana/time by itself and broken spells if used with other words... which I guess would make a great ~Joker-card equivalent for the game, but not much else once people noticed it.

Stomping your foot to generate shockwaves that knock nearby people down.
Isn't this already in the stuff you'd send to Piecewise? A pair of boots, and it could work just like the weapons-- just instead of a division at a crossguard, it would be a division at the tread/sole of the boot. Four words, I think? With hilarity if you aren't heavy enough?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65