Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132613 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:19 am »

Flavor, plus there is a functional difference. Nanomachines can repair by consuming matter and energy. An item made of nanomachines would attempt to reform itself if damaged or broken, taking in surrounding matter to do so. And it could randomly try to consume the environment to grow and self-replicate.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2013, 07:25:45 am »

Flavor, plus there is a functional difference. Nanomachines can repair by consuming matter and energy. An item made of nanomachines would attempt to reform itself if damaged or broken, taking in surrounding matter to do so. And it could randomly try to consume the environment to grow and self-replicate.
Basically:
Animate Sentient Magic Big Rock Humanoid, then teach him the words for Repair Full Body and Animate Sentient Magic Big Rock Humanoid? I dont think that would be a good idea, a player with 7 Will is only able to control three creatures at the same time, thus if he replicates to much... You may have brought hell. And its energy is magic.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:36 am »

No, he's probably literally the Ninenth God. The most Ninth of all Ninth Gods.

Or would that be Nintheth?
Ninthest.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2013, 11:31:03 am »

Also, you should read the list because it tells the words there are and their translations.
You're missing the point. Why do I care?

And Perplexicon HAD AN STORY, it was the second part which came after Null death, an open world with many areas, npcs, and a goal (To destroy Zentol, The Other). You could call Zentol the Ninenth God.
Never said it didn't, I was replying to you:
but roleplayers there dont seem to understand the deathmatch part and keep asking for a story.

Basically:
Animate Sentient Magic Big Rock Humanoid, then teach him the words for Repair Full Body and Animate Sentient Magic Big Rock Humanoid? I dont think that would be a good idea, a player with 7 Will is only able to control three creatures at the same time, thus if he replicates to much... You may have brought hell. And its energy is magic.
So it has a lot of potential to go wrong, but can also become very interesting as all players are forced to fight it.

Otherwise, there could be limits to it's replication. Another thing I see with nanobots, is that they would be small. (Because you know, nano.) And would be able to do functions because of their size and hivemind that other things can't. However, if it really does not provide anything important to the game, then yes, maybe better not to add them.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

You should care because i saw you suggesting stuff (classes and certain words) which already exist to a extent/totally.

And no, i dont really think nano would add much.

Trust me, with imagination you can do near anything. Derm once made a dimension on where air was booze!
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2013, 11:52:48 am »

However, if it really does not provide anything important to the game, then yes, maybe better not to add them.
Then justify the inclusion of, say, wax. Or a word that caused whatever it is to appear in front of you, which I should note is the default.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2013, 11:58:11 am »

However, if it really does not provide anything important to the game, then yes, maybe better not to add them.
Then justify the inclusion of, say, wax. Or a word that caused whatever it is to appear in front of you, which I should note is the default.
Also the word *Where im pointing at*. Wax: Its an material, i dont see why it shouldnt be there. Nano is more of an concept, or in any case, an material. But tell me: What would saying just Nano do? You would have to say Nano Repair Self, in which case it would be shorter and more efficient to say: Repair Fullbody. Thus it isnt really any useful. Anything you can really do with it can be done with current words, overall Machine.
While im not agaisnt it being added for flavour (Its not like this was something that you have to work whole day to code), it doesnt really have to much use.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2013, 11:59:02 am »

What about Immaterial or Ethereal as a modifier that is used instead of Illusion? Basically, it would allows stuff to be made without an element word and retain Illusion's effect of making elements non-reactive and intangible. It could allow players to make weapons that apply enchantments on hit (with the enchantment's severity being determined by a dice roll) and also, using runes, create objects made out of a dimensional rift.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »

What about Immaterial or Ethereal as a modifier that is used instead of Illusion? Basically, it would allows stuff to be made without an element word and retain Illusion's effect of making elements non-reactive and intangible. It could allow players to make weapons that apply enchantments on hit (with the enchantment's severity being determined by a dice roll) and also, using runes, create objects made out of a dimensional rift.
Immaterial is an word in Toaster game (If im right) so i dont see why not. However i would like if Immaterial stuff could hit other immaterial stuff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »

Also the word *Where im pointing at*. Wax: Its an material, i dont see why it shouldnt be there. Nano is more of an concept, or in any case, an material. But tell me: What would saying just Nano do? You would have to say Nano Repair Self, in which case it would be shorter and more efficient to say: Repair Fullbody. Thus it isnt really any useful. Anything you can really do with it can be done with current words, overall Machine.
While im not agaisnt it being added for flavour (Its not like this was something that you have to work whole day to code), it doesnt really have to much use.
Wait, what are you talking about when you say "Nano"?
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2013, 12:07:09 pm »

I'd like to point out that that word in my game hasn't been fully tested as to its full effects.

(Also I'm half winging it since it wasn't fleshed out in the source material)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2013, 12:15:32 pm »

Not "Nano". "Nanotech". It comes with a set of functions not like any you could succinctly describe in other words, scaling differently with success and failure. "Nanotech Self" wouldn't just heal you. It would heal you by absorbing matter around you. It would give you a chance to spontaneously absorb matter you touch, and perhaps grow, or even completely replicate. It could go haywire when damaged, spawning little grey goo globules that would make rolls every turn to keep growing, endangering the environment. Etc, etc. It's half object and half material - a material made of objects.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »

Immaterial is an word in Toaster game (If im right) so i dont see why not. However i would like if Immaterial stuff could hit other immaterial stuff.
Perhaps it could work in the following manner: there are six "channels" for Immaterial, the user can define the channel the summoned item uses, though by default, it's the highest channel that the item can have. The highest possible channel is the unmodified potency roll, the user can define or change (via willing an item with the control word) the channel to any other channel that is lower than that value. Hence the higher potency roll the more options a controlled item has. Objects of equal channel interact with each other while items of different channels are immaterial to each other as well. That means that a well-made piece of armor with parts made out of immaterial substances can still block immaterial attacks should it be the right channel or the user passes their will roll to change it to the right channel.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »

Not "Nano". "Nanotech". It comes with a set of functions not like any you could succinctly describe in other words, scaling differently with success and failure. "Nanotech Self" wouldn't just heal you. It would heal you by absorbing matter around you. It would give you a chance to spontaneously absorb matter you touch, and perhaps grow, or even completely replicate. It could go haywire when damaged, spawning little grey goo globules that would make rolls every turn to keep growing, endangering the environment. Etc, etc. It's half object and half material - a material made of objects.
*Absorb/Drain What im touching Convert Heal Permanently*
Or
*Living Goo (Material) Sphere Absorb/Drain What it touches Grow Permanently*

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »

*Absorb/Drain What im touching Convert Heal Permanently*
Or
*Living Goo (Material) Sphere Absorb/Drain What it touches Grow Permanently*
Now see how many other words you can reproduce this way. ^_^
It's a composite material, more flexible in use than the mess of words you can use to recreate it. Just because you can make molten rock is no reason not to make Magma a separate material, for instance.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 65