Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72283 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #435 on: July 27, 2013, 03:29:31 am »

We have uses for it in the coming game, underhang guns, bomb bays for fly overs, drop pods, etc. It's just not used now.
Well, okay. But we don't really need to turn the ship vertically to use any of those things, do we?
Also, that sector you made works great...until you need to rotate it at odd angles, Try making a really good sector with everything laid out and then using an image editor to rotate it 15 degrees and watch everything get distorted.
Why not simply redraw it?
Also wasn't this originally about making cannon sweeps a thing?  Because if you just want to have that sort of "anything that gets within that 45 degree sweep as you first start moving" thing be a thing, thats a lot more doable.
Cannon sweeps are a must. Gridless space is a want. :)

If you are so vehemently pro-grid, maybe at least switch over to hexes? Pleeeease? ^_^

Also, definitely re-in.

Why would you want hexes? Their movement is even sharper and you lose two possible directions. Also makes moving in straight lines more difficult.

Also, I don't want to redraw it every turn because I don't want to spend 10-20 minutes carefully measuring out pixels when the same degree of movement is replicated using a simple grid.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 27, 2013, 05:06:40 am »

Why would you want hexes? Their movement is even sharper and you lose two possible directions. Also makes moving in straight lines more difficult.
Because 1) It would make turning a full circle take only six turns and not eight and 2) it gets us rid of the diagonals-on-the-square-grid problem. And it only makes movement more difficult to north and south, but why would that matter?

Alternately, if you're dead set on sticking with squares, consider making each tile span two abstract 'units' orthogonally and three units diagonally, with speed being expressed as multiples of six units. Thus, the minimum speed of 6 would allow one to move either two tiles diagonally or three tiles orthogonally, second speed of 12 is four/six and so on. What do you think about this?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:11:26 am by Dariush »

Jatha

• Bay Watcher
  • And people say I have no sense of irony...
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2013, 09:23:07 am »

I would like to join the next game!

Also, will fighters make an appearance this round? Because if they are, then that is going to change my plans for my character's stats...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2013, 10:46:06 am »

Because 1) It would make turning a full circle take only six turns and not eight and 2) it gets us rid of the diagonals-on-the-square-grid problem. And it only makes movement more difficult to north and south, but why would that matter?

Alternately, if you're dead set on sticking with squares, consider making each tile span two abstract 'units' orthogonally and three units diagonally, with speed being expressed as multiples of six units. Thus, the minimum speed of 6 would allow one to move either two tiles diagonally or three tiles orthogonally, second speed of 12 is four/six and so on. What do you think about this?
I wasn't aware there was a problem with diagonals. They seem to function just fine. Whats the problem with them?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 27, 2013, 01:46:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure the issue is that you travel just as far north if you head north-east rather than heading directly north.

Personally, I think it's a silly thing to worry about, but if it's really an issue I'd use D&D 3.5e's system: Going diagonal costs 1.5 times as much as going horizontal/vertical, rounded down.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 27, 2013, 02:19:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure the issue is that you travel just as far north if you head north-east rather than heading directly north.
This. It is the main problem with the square grid.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »

Personally, I think it's a silly thing to worry about, but if it's really an issue I'd use D&D 3.5e's system: Going diagonal costs 1.5 times as much as going horizontal/vertical, rounded down.
When your top speed is 3 squares, there's rarely a difference.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #442 on: July 27, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdd59h9f0hmqxsw/possible%20end%20positions.png

Thats what the new possible end positions would be, if diagonals cost more. But 3 isn't gonna be top speed forever.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #443 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »

Devlog:

Harpoons are complex man. I'm writing up the rules for it now. Basically, using the harpoon creates a length of chain between the two ships. Attempting to go beyond that length means taking damage as the harpoon tears through the walls of the ship. It also means the two speeds of the ships are linked, as are their headings.  For instance, Blue hits red in passing. They're both going 2 on headings like so.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7shdcg7ipqxz4e/heading1.png

However, rather then actually making it there, the red ship loses three sections of wall and both ships are yanked to this configuration and their speed reduced to 1.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82o4608arcqb63r/heading%202.png

And yeah, the rules for all that are kinda complex.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 27, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »

I'm !!IN!!. If there's still room.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 27, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »

Harpoons sound Fun.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 27, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #447 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:04 pm »

I should point out that those harpoons actually have a built in threshold where if you go too fast it just tears the whole gun off your deck, taking the deck and any walls that are in the way with it.

Anywhoo, currently everyone who volunteers will be put in the drawing for the actual testers once these rules are finished. Only 10 are going in for the next test though. But its not like that will be the end of it, so don't worry if you don't get chosen for this round.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »

If the gun gets ripped off, can we hold on to it and climb up to the enemies' deck?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #449 on: July 27, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »

If the gun gets ripped off, can we hold on to it and climb up to the enemies' deck?
If you manage to survive the superhuman feats of holding on as it's ripped out and then climbing up the chain, then yeah, you could. It's not something I would recommend though.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55