Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72279 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »

In the event of ramming, can I be topdeck on the opposite side of the ramming side, to board?
Well, right now we're picking pilots. Best roll becomes the rammer. You'll have one turn before you hit to fuck about how you please to get ready.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2013, 12:40:36 am »

Suggest myself, since I am already de facto Red Pilot.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:00 am »

Daruish
ARGHBLARGHWhy is it so hard for people to not make mistakes in my name? It's just seven letters, no unpronounceable combinations. WHYYYYY

I could do this:

Team picks their designated pilot. I roll them against each other, whoever wins is the rammer, and loser is ramme. I put you one turn out from hitting-give everyone time to get ready, grab what they want, etc.- and then we hit and shit goes nuts.

Show of hands?
So... we can totally be rammed by a ship with demolished controls? Heeeeeeeeeeell no. Let's just instead simulate boarding.

Also, since the need of sleep in no way means I withdraw my argument, regarding gridless space: maybe completely remove 3D and do plain free 2D? How is the third dimension currently used, anyway?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2013, 02:54:34 am »

ARGHBLARGHWhy is it so hard for people to not make mistakes in my name? It's just seven letters, no unpronounceable combinations. WHYYYYY
"It's because you didn't drink your blood this morning sweetie. You need it to make your aura big and strong. Look at my aura, people almost always get my name right, and mine's seven letters too. Now be a good boy and drink up so you'll make a good last impression on your new playmates today!"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2013, 03:32:06 am »

"It's because you didn't drink your blood this morning sweetie. You need it to make your aura big and strong. Look at my aura, people almost always get my name right, and mine's seven letters too. Now be a good boy and drink up so you'll make a good last impression on your new playmates today!"
To be fair, I always read your name as "Lengnon", he he he.

To Darius: Putting "i" and "u" together is a bad idea. Almost as bad as "s" and "c". Don't do it. Also, "sh?" Really?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:38:39 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 26, 2013, 08:10:07 am »

I don't drink any blood, and despite my name being thirteen letters in length people get it right.
Unless they refer to me as a large, metallic annelid.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 26, 2013, 10:32:54 am »

Technically, no one ever gets your name, right, since no one ever wants to write out the hole thing. GWG is a lot easier to type. My name, though, is memorable, but also is rarely gotten correct forthe same reasons as GWG.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #412 on: July 26, 2013, 12:03:42 pm »

Daruish

I could do this:

Team picks their designated pilot. I roll them against each other, whoever wins is the rammer, and loser is ramme. I put you one turn out from hitting-give everyone time to get ready, grab what they want, etc.- and then we hit and shit goes nuts.

Show of hands?
So... we can totally be rammed by a ship with demolished controls? Heeeeeeeeeeell no. Let's just instead simulate boarding.

Also, since the need of sleep in no way means I withdraw my argument, regarding gridless space: maybe completely remove 3D and do plain free 2D? How is the third dimension currently used, anyway?

It's not currently used, but an airship game without vertical movement seems kinda...lacking to me. That and sectors are a hell of a lot easier to do on a physical board with physical sector things, rather then in mspaint. Even If I switch to Paint.net (I hate more powerful image editing programs because they get increasingly obtuse in menu design) so I can freely rotate the sector, it's still gonna be somewhat annoying. Mostly because I'm not sure how players will show specifically where they want to go in the sector without having to edit the image themselves and adding a mark.

Not to mention the sectors thing makes everything else massively more complex as well. I mean, right now, I can say "Ok, this weapon's target roll increases by X for every grid space it moves through." while sectors would either require pixel measurements or special sectors for each and every weapon to demarcate range and such.

I know the system you're talking about here, I've watched a few Warhammer games, but it seems like that system would be MUCH more at home either in real life with miniatures and physical sectors to place down and move around, or  with specialized computer software.

I'm just going to guess but is that basically where you're getting this idea, from games like warhammer? Or maybe just Warhammer.

Also, I could just have the two ships pull along side each other. I'm just looking for a way to have a final confrontation since several people post inconsistently and it seems like some people are getting bored of chasing and never shooting.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2013, 12:28:54 pm »

I've never played Warhammer or anything even remotely similar (well, Mark of Chaos on PC doesn't really count :P).

It's not currently used, but an airship game without vertical movement seems kinda...lacking to me.
Then why implement it if you have no use for it?

As for the sectors: the shitty diagram I made took me about 20 seconds in Paint: I drew a circle and then erased the unnecessary part. It could probably be done with an arc, but that was the first time I used Paint in W7 and I didn't want to experiment. I don't see any problem there.

As for the measurements, just make notches down the side of the sectors, with distance between two notches being equal to one 'tile'. It should be visually obvious into which subsector the target falls.

As for the targeting, I envisioned there just being a straight like coming out of the front of the ship and players stating a rough offset in degrees and the direction of the offset. I doubt anyone will want divisions more complex than 'halfway between the center line and the right side of the sector', anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #414 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

I've never played Warhammer or anything even remotely similar (well, Mark of Chaos on PC doesn't really count :P).

It's not currently used, but an airship game without vertical movement seems kinda...lacking to me.
Then why implement it if you have no use for it?

As for the sectors: the shitty diagram I made took me about 20 seconds in Paint: I drew a circle and then erased the unnecessary part. It could probably be done with an arc, but that was the first time I used Paint in W7 and I didn't want to experiment. I don't see any problem there.

As for the measurements, just make notches down the side of the sectors, with distance between two notches being equal to one 'tile'. It should be visually obvious into which subsector the target falls.

As for the targeting, I envisioned there just being a straight like coming out of the front of the ship and players stating a rough offset in degrees and the direction of the offset. I doubt anyone will want divisions more complex than 'halfway between the center line and the right side of the sector', anyway.
We have uses for it in the coming game, underhang guns, bomb bays for fly overs, drop pods, etc. It's just not used now. Also, that sector you made works great...until you need to rotate it at odd angles, Try making a really good sector with everything laid out and then using an image editor to rotate it 15 degrees and watch everything get distorted.  Besides, we may not have sectors but we do kind of have movement that, if you plot the possible end points, end up looking a lot like a sector.

From starting at speed 3, north, end points can be as follows:

Also wasn't this originally about making cannon sweeps a thing?  Because if you just want to have that sort of "anything that gets within that 45 degree sweep as you first start moving" thing be a thing, thats a lot more doable.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

Also wasn't this originally about making cannon sweeps a thing?  Because if you just want to have that sort of "anything that gets within that 45 degree sweep as you first start moving" thing be a thing, thats a lot more doable.
Like that picture.

Also, is anybody else still in this? Because I think that in the endless arguing we've pretty much lost everyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 26, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »

Here. I just haven't had anything to say.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #417 on: July 26, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »

Yeah, we seem to have lost people. Oh well. Test was successful enough. I shall continue work on modular systems and return shortly with the build your own airship battles.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 26, 2013, 05:20:09 pm »

I will love this very much. Very, very much.

Build your own anything that fights is always amazing.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 26, 2013, 06:31:50 pm »

In for airship building
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:05:02 pm by Dansmithers »
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55