Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72338 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

I am trying not to get murdered whilst trying to help people murder blues with a cannon, should I be capable of doing so.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »

I'm... not doing much, really.  If the ships get closer then I will be murdering blues with my two sabres.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:09 pm »

RED
Pilots, get down to the lodestones! There's more than one way to turn a ship!

Man the rightmost gun; fill the enemy cockpit with bullet holes.
You switch guns, but the blue ship breaks off, and your ship continues it's turn. Your target escapes your aim.

((Okay, this is official. I do not understand how time works here, because this is the second time I have posted an action that led me to being shot at. I thought helping Pilate, especially if he didn't need it, would take maybe half-a-square of movement. But we were hit 2.5 out of three squares in, and I still managed to be there. :())

"Pilate's in shock! Their shots hit the cockpit square on! I'll be taking over piloting now. With the way we are going, we are either going to be in range with the cannons very soon, or we will ram them. Sloan, get to the cannons. Danath, see if you can help him. Don't try to board yet, you need Dex for that."

He the leans over to the Pilate and whispers. "I know you don't understand it yet pal, but you're pretty much dead. I've got cuts of my own to take care of, and without an arm or care... you don't stand a chance. Trust me, I'm doing you favor. Goodbuy."

If Pilate is able to stand up without problems and even walk on his own, abandon the next action. If he's not, place one of my hands over Pilate's mouth. If he's able to resist even semi-effectively, abandon the next course of action. If he's not, cut his throat. Drink his blood, and let it invigorate me. Then take his Saber and pistol. (This, is an example of am action, that in my opinion, should not take a lot of time compared to the next one.)

Once I'm done with Pilate one way or another, get up once again, ignoring my own cuts, and see if I can repair or otherwise make function the controlls. Either by controlling the ship directly from the wiring, or maybe Vlad has knowledge that allows him just to go to the upper engine housing and load stones and controll the ship from there. (or maybe even an the hover core and engine itself.)

PS: Try not to get in the way of bullets.

Pilate seems alive, for the moment, so you climb back up the ladder and look at the console. It's toast; smashed to shrapnel. But...but you might be able to pilot the ship by directly manipulating the lodestones. You'd need someone down next to the engine to manipulate speed, but you could at least control the turning.

You run down to the lodestones and prepare to attempt to alter the ship's path.

Fire cannons.

I'll assume this means "Fire if you get a shot." Since you have no shot, I'll assume you don't want to seriously menace the air.

Red - Danath

Well, there are two things we need to do here.  we need to try and fix the controls, and we need to MAN THE GODDAMN CANNONS!

Continue to be useless baggage.  If the enemy ship gets close enough, attempt to board.

More cowering. More hiding. God you wish that someone would just ram someone else. You just want to freaking stab someone for god sake.

((Who else thinks we may be screwed?))

"What's...they het the cntrols...huh. Why isn't my hand grabbing stuff?"

Head down the ladder and see if I can help somewhere, possibly the cannons. Avoid getting killed by a traitorous idiot, violently if need be.

You head down to the engine room, Cauterize your stump against the furnace and take your place at the engines, ready to manually adjust them.

BLUE

Modularrrr design.

Ah hah harrr!  Ye landlubbers don't stand a chance!

Toastarrr:  Wait for the left hand cannons to be loaded, then shoot out their engines.  If no one is loading cannons, do so myself, while cursing them for missing an opportunity.
Welp, can't get a shot, so lets load us some cannons. Or at least try.
[R2 S1]
You roll a shell out to the cannon but again, can't lift it. Damn these tiny arms.

Steven,Blue
Change to the loaded canon, and attempt to hit the machinegunner on the deck. Then think "Why am I so good at shooting cannons? I don't even know how I got here!"

If there is no loaded cannon, switch to a machinegun and strafe their deck, tryign to hit that pesky machinegunner.

You run up to the main deck and take up a place at the left, forward machine gun. You can't get a shot with a cannon or a machine gun though. Oh well.

Go help load the cannons.
[R5 S4]
You load the two left hand cannons, leaving only the last left cannon.

Right now, I'd basically just shift you all over to the center of the map; keeping your relative positions. Later, when this is real, they'll probably hit something and either scrape against it or just slam to a stop.
I think we should keep relocating even in the 'real' game. Looks more realistic this way.
I'm assuming that the PM I got was the directions. In the future, make sure that the directions are obvious and that you post an action in the tread to quote.
[t1 R4 S3]
Right turn, Speed 2. Executed successfully.

Here's an example of a level of one of the modular ships. It comes as a empty frame on a grid and you then put modules in. The one pictured has a flame thrower,a poison gas dispenser, a buzz blade launcher, two heavy cannons, 4 wing mounted engines and an ammo dump. It's powered by a Mainspring. The blue lines indicate power transfer, the red indicate control. As you can see, the buzz blade requires power to function, while the cannons do not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/by112p06jpeymdn/example.png

I'm continuing to work on more weapons and modules, so if you have ideas that have not been stated, let me know.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:14 pm »

360 degree high-caliber deck gun. Heaven for deck gunners.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »

Cool. Mind if I suggest some sort of "Ship Status" spoiler for when the ships are so different? It could describe the systems, their capabilities, and their damage.

-----

"Ow! ...Huh. My hand's gone. I should probably be concerned about that."

Wait behind the other starboard cannon and fire if the enemy is in sight. Wonder if I could get a reasonably-priced prosthetic arm somewhere.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:38 pm »

See if I can't take a machine gun and take it out of the deck mount, so I can shoot from another part of the ship, Halo style.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:02:19 pm by Remuthra »

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »

Red - Danath

As GWG has wandered away from the engine room, go there myself and get ready to adjust the speed (assuming I don't need any intelligence skill just to do as i'm told)

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »

Steven,Blue
Use my man strength to load the shit out of some cannons.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:38 pm »

((Wait, we continued turning? I don't think anyone predicted that. Also, which one of our goddamn sides is the damaged one? Because I know I can't pilot a ship when I don't even know that.

Also, surprised that Pilate was just able to shrug it off. But, meh.))

Gonna be pm'ing piloting actions. As soon as I figure out the answer to the question above.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 24, 2013, 08:54:17 pm »

((Wait, we continued turning? I don't think anyone predicted that. Also, which one of our goddamn sides is the damaged one? Because I know I can't pilot a ship when I don't even know that.

If it makes you feel better, Dariush missed it too.

"Without those controls, the Red ship is gonna stay on it's last heading, turning left at speed 3. Unless red manages to do something, they're literally going to be going in circles. "
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #340 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29:42 pm »

Gonna be pm'ing piloting actions. As soon as I figure out the answer to the question above.
Check the red folder. It has your ship schematics in there. The damage is: the right side first cannon, the right side armor on the cockpit, the loss of the cockpit window and controls, the loss of the forward, right machine gun.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 24, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »

Check the red folder. It has your ship schematics in there. The damage is: the right side first cannon, the right side armor on the cockpit, the loss of the cockpit window and controls, the loss of the forward, right machine gun.
I know our damage. I just don't know where it is in relation to the sides facing enemy.

Update: Okay, fine. Figured it out.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:37:46 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »

Any slots left? :D
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »

Not this game, but when this finishes there will be another test game.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2013, 10:06:27 pm »

Any slots left? :D
For the next test, sure. I'm gonna have to find a way to make sign ups for that fair...Maybe a lotto.

That sound fair to you guys? Leave sign ups open for a while and then randomly pick the contestants?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55