Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72330 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2013, 08:10:09 am »

I would agree if this wasn't a test thread.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:45 am »

If you guys feel like PM'ing your pilot actions, I'm fine with that.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:07 am »

((I also imagine the reason the pilot's actions aren't secret is due to the fact it is a test thread.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:47 am »

What's the point of a test if it's not going to be representative of the final product?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2013, 10:24:00 am »

Grrrr. To all who replied, I know it's a test thread. I was trying to justify giving an advice on where we should go after the other team had already posted an action. Given that GreatWyrm and Dariush share different time zones, it would basically give us the advantage to do that. And yes, I do happen to know this is a test.

But here's a question: Are there any disadvantages to standing completely still, and slowly rotating your cannons to face the enemy?

Also, the thing about having two threads I mentioned earlier.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2013, 10:49:49 am »

((I pointed out I imagine. Aside from that, piecewise gave you the green light, so that's something.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

But here's a question: Are there any disadvantages to standing completely still, and slowly rotating your cannons to face the enemy?

The other ship could move behind you and match your turn, then just unload its shells into your rear end all day every day.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Oooh, let's have airstrikes that hit a specified tile let's say two turns from now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »

RED
Keep up the suppression. Try to see if I can strafe the deck. Focus on the enemy gunner.
[T3. R12. S9]
You spray machine gun fire at the deck and, to your surprise, see someone trying to make a break across the deck to the stairway. You jerk the gun around and zero in on him. He goes down, shredded apart in a burst of red. You have just long enough to smile before you see the blue ships cannons lining up on you.

[T5. R7. S5]
You leap off the gun and flatten yourself on the deck as a shell strikes it dead on and reduces it to scrap metal.

The drinking thing is the announcer. I don't even drink. I survive via absorption of magnetic fields.
((Thank god. You had me worried for a moment.))

Red, Vlad

Wait, so if we turn left and accelerate, does it mean we will end up in I9, or E12? And I've forgotten which one of our sides is damaged. The one in the upper right of the square, or the lower left of our square? Sorry, but I am really bad at this.

Since Pilate is doing two piloting actions this turn, help him. Then go back into hiding.
Drink something. Oh wait. Don't drink my molotov! God damn it. It's too late now.

Update: If there's something I can repair as an engineer, do that.

Cheat Sheets
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To below: Example? I remember reading that loadstones took the entire turn. Also, since I don't have much to do, there is really no reason for us to increase the chances of us failing to pilot this.
You attempt to back seat drive with Pilate, who shoos you away.

"Really, I've got this. Everything is gonna be fine."

And then the cockpit explodes. A shell punches in, straight through the windshield, and hits the bank of controls in front of Pilate. You shield yourself with your arms, but still catch a shower of glass shards that leaves you badly cut and bleeding, some of the larger pieces still stuck in you. You lower your hands and see Pilate still standing there, almost exactly where he was a second ago; missing his left arm from the elbow down. He seems like he's in shock. You grab him and drag him down the ladder to the cockpit lower, leaving bloody handprints the whole way.

Red - Danath

Continue to hide, ready to spring into action if necessary.
You can feel the ship shake as shells strike it, but none of your cannons fire back. You hold your position, nursing your leg.

((The liver thing was the announcer, right?))

Turn left and accelerate. Again, abandon the post if they soot.
[T2. R9. S2]
You spin the wheel and turn the ship left, all the while fending off advances from Vlad, who seems to think you need help piloting. By the time you finally talk him off you and look back to what you're doing, there's little time to react. The blue ship has it's cannons aimed at you, You can see the shell coming in, a black speck, like a gnat on the wind shield. You just enough time to step to the right before it hits. The next seconds are a blur. You remember standing there, in the wind. The Windshield is gone, the control panel looks like it's been cut in two. Your arm is gone and there's blood in your face from the cuts on your head.

Vlad grabs you and forces you down the ladder. You keep trying to grab with a hand that isn't there, bashing the stump against the ladder. It's strange; it doesn't hurt.

BLUE

Dariush:  Turn us left and slow us to speed 1.  We'll get some shots off (At the front, but it's still a shot.)

Anyone:  Load up that port (left) cannon!

Me:  Toastarrr:  Fire the cannons at the ship!  Shoot at the cockpit till it's hit, then aim for the MGs/MGers on deck
There are only two loaded cannons, so you take one and Steven takes the other. You aim at the cockpit, aiming for the windshield at a 45 degree angle.
[T3. R10. S3]
You fire and move, sidestepping the cannon's recoil as you go to watch the shell fly. You catch a glimpse of it just as it hits and the windshield explodes into a million tiny, sparking fragments. You can see people inside scattering and heading below. Seems like you failed to kill the pilot. Oh well, the controls are dead, and that's almost as good.

Steven,Blue

If possible shoot at enemy machine gunner with a cannon, if not, move to a machinegun with the ability to spray them, and return suppressive fire.
You take the other left cannon and take aim at the center right machine gun of the other craft.
[T3. R7. S5]
Your shot flies true, an the machine gun shatters into pieces as the shell tears through it. The gunner seems to have survived though; you can see him crawling away.

ENGAGE MATRIX MODE!
You run out onto the deck, sprinting for the stairs down.
[T9. R4. S2]
There's no real time for recognition of whats happening; not with bullets this big and this numerous. You feel yourself suddenly pushed forward, there's a burst of red, and then everything goes black before you can even hit the deck.

GENTLEMANE IS DEAD

Dariush:  Turn us left and slow us to speed 1.  We'll get some shots off (At the front, but it's still a shot.)
Shush, I know what I'm doing.

Vowel: turn left (SW), keep speed.

"If you blue... uh... blueberrylubbers don't hit with at least one shot, I'll LOAD THE CANNONS WITH YOUR BODYPARTS. This applies specifically to Damien, whose bodyparts I'll load while he's still alive. And the bodyparts are still attached. Get moving, is what I'm saying. And aim at the cockpit and its nice glass wall. And man the machineguns while you're at it."
You turn the ship west and smile as you feel the shudder of her cannons fire. The news of their successful hits is tinged with regret as you watch Gentlemane fall in a burst of red mist. 

"And it looks like we have our first fatality, Cael. Gentlemane tried to imitate Keanu Reeves and end up just as soulless. But despite the loss of one of their crew, Blue did some serious damage of their own, destroying red's controls and injuring both their pilots. Without those controls, the Red ship is gonna stay on it's last heading, turning left at speed 3. Unless red manages to do something, they're literally going to be going in circles. "

Oooh, let's have airstrikes that hit a specified tile let's say two turns from now.
Thats basically what mortars are. Fire them at a specific tile and they fall there on the next turn. They have great range but require a good degree of predictive work to use.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »

Good trade.   Maybe?

Dariush, they'll be at B-15 next turn since they can't move steer, so move accordingly.  Remember to PM your teammates if you PM in the movement (much less important now since they're totally boned, what with being unable to steer.)

I say we turn in behind them and totally MG strafe everything they know and love.

Piecewise:  What happens if someone tries to go off the map?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:54:43 pm by Toaster »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »

Pilots, get down to the lodestones! There's more than one way to turn a ship!

Man the rightmost gun; fill the enemy cockpit with bullet holes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2013, 04:05:14 pm »

Good trade.   Maybe?

Dariush, they'll be at B-15 next turn since they can't move steer, so move accordingly.  Remember to PM your teammates if you PM in the movement (much less important now since they're totally boned, what with being unable to steer.)

I say we turn in behind them and totally MG strafe everything they know and love.

Piecewise:  What happens if someone tries to go off the map?
Right now, I'd basically just shift you all over to the center of the map; keeping your relative positions. Later, when this is real, they'll probably hit something and either scrape against it or just slam to a stop.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »

((Who else thinks we may be screwed?))

"What's...they het the cntrols...huh. Why isn't my hand grabbing stuff?"

Head down the ladder and see if I can help somewhere, possibly the cannons. Avoid getting killed by a traitorous idiot, violently if need be.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:41:37 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »

Dohohoho.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »

Steven,Blue
Change to the loaded canon, and attempt to hit the machinegunner on the deck. Then think "Why am I so good at shooting cannons? I don't even know how I got here!"

If there is no loaded cannon, switch to a machinegun and strafe their deck, tryign to hit that pesky machinegunner.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55