Poll

Am I qualified to run this game?

No.
- 5 (17.9%)
Hell no.
- 23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIII: Its back  (Read 24963 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Sparkgear XIII: Its back
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 08:33:27 am »

Tuesday is indeed close enough to a motherfucking Wednesday for me! 8)
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:07 am »

I'd like Tuesday the 16th please. This should be amusing.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:18 am »

I've signed people up where requested. I did found the fortress, but I had to go into the backup worldgen file to get the other details. For example, history, the world map, and local maps. That took a while. I don't know why the save file is so huge, because I've had large worlds with longer history that were smaller.

Does anyone have any dwarfing requests?

Time to get this going.

It was the dawn of the third age of dwarves in the World of Cyclones, 8 years after the end of the elven war, and 23 years since the goblins of The Cruel Evils were defeated and their towers pillaged. Confined to mountain ranges since the beginning, dwarven civilizations began to look to new lands. What lurks beyond the pillars of rock they call home?

The Everseeing Boats dominated the mountain range known only as The Horn of Ravens, but had constructed roads across grassland to human settlements. In the year 100, the queen of the Everseeing Boats made arrangements for an expedition to establish a dwarven fortress in the middle of The Somber Hills, between The Horn of Ravens and The Points of Gifting, which contained the mountain halls of the Mortal Treaty, The Gorge of Lightning, and The Staff of Emancipating. The fortress was sited next to the brook Leakfyconstruct, to ensure a supply of fresh water. After a small rebellion in the circles of the imperial guard, suitable settlers were found to establish a fortress that would live on in legend, the fortress of Sparkgear.

Diary of Female Caligula Squashorb
Exiled Ex-Usurper King

Note by CaptainArchmage: Damn, that should have been Squashedorb. RNG didn't do as well as it should have done, and I had to intervene. No wait, I planned that all along.

1st Granite 101

Dear diary,

The uprising failed, and I have been stripped of my rank in the imperial guard. I have been exiled to establish an outpost in a tropical grassland north of the domain of Iluskogan, The Everseeing Boats. Did I mention this is the first time any dwarven civilization anywhere in the world has established an outpost not in a mountain range? I’m absolutely terrified. We were forced to journey for TWO WEEKS out in the open. For the first five days I couldn’t manage solid food during the day. This is cruel and unusual punishment!

I am still an ardent believer in traditional society. The monarchy overstepped their bounds when they built roads out of DIRT of all things, and I had to intervene. I’ve had a setback, but we will construct a new society out here in the middle of this thing called “tropical grassland” with a “brook” running through it. The brook is called “Leafyconstruct” We will construct a new and great society that upholds traditional values, one which will outlast the decaying Mountainhomes.

The year is 101, and I am now the leader of a dwarven outpost, by a brook in the tropical shrubland, the first of its kind ever. The outpost is named Sparkgears, and we are The Massive Fist. We shall bring glorious dwarven justice to the world! Now let’s get me a fucking room. I want my old room back, with the diamond-studded platinum statues and marble well.

2nd Granite 101

Dear diary,

The moment we stopped the wagon, an enraged beast that came charging out of nowhere and attacked us. It mauled one of the dogs before they took it down. It was terrible! Blood everywhere. Were we sent out here to establish an outpost, or were we sent out here to die?

The land is covered in two distinct layers of a material known as “soil”, which has green things growing in it. The very top level of “soil” looks like a mixture of mud and horse dung, but it does not have the same vile smell. The Logisticians inform me that if we hollow out this “soil”, we will be able to grow crops in it without water. That’s a good thing, right? Maybe I can get back my room service after all. I miss my gourmet dwarven syrup roasts at all hours.

The miners hit the bedrock a few hours ago. We’re going to have a nice new fortress in proper rock. I don’t know whether the rock is the same as the stuff we call “rock” back home though. The rocks around here are strange. They are pink. At this rate our rooms will look funkier than the Pink Elephant Club on hard rock night!

Diary! The Logisticians say the rock is “pink diorite”, and is “igneous intrusive”, so we will have no iron! I feel like I’ve been diagnosed with fatal demon blood poisoning. All the iron ore we have is in the wagon. We may get out 16 bars of steel, and that’s it. 16 bars. My hopes of a properly equipped standing army just evaporated. Are we supposed to fade out into obscurity here?

CaptainArchmage: Right on embark, massive honey badger incident. Fortunately, nobody was injured. I'm expecting the only breeding pair of dogs to die from infection.

5th Granite, 101

Diary,

Because I am one of only three dwarves who have a mining efficiency rating, I have been spending my time underground. Our mason, ‘Saint’ Athelazin the Dark Templar, is constructing some rock tables for us to use. ‘Argembarger’ îtonadas the Woodworker is making us beds to sleep on. Ashtar and Korgoth are gathering plants and putting the food into storage, since we don’t have any metal or fuel around for them to use.

The creature that attacked us is called a "honey badger", and it has been turned into some meat and leather.

10th Granite, 101

Dear Diary,

This grassland is covered in strange webs. They are gigantic. ‘Argembarger’ is collecting some right now. They’re supposed to be produced by something called a giant brown recluse spider. I wonder what that is.

Underground, ‘Saint’ has just finished an exceptionally beautiful table. We're going to put it in the dining room.

12th Granite 101

Diary,

We’ve dug out a room in the soil layer for farming. I hope this will work. We didn't bring much food or booze and I fear we will run out.

There is a pack of strange creatures roaming around in the north. I wonder what they are and where they came from? Are they dangerous? Are they the giant brown recluse spiders?

CaptainArchmage: I can confirm we haven't seen any giant badgers. Yet.

1st Slate 101

Dear Diary,

It is mid-spring now. We dug out two rooms in the soil layer, one for farming and the other for food storage. I’m told we can’t grow cave wheat until next season though. Where am I going to get those dwarven syrup roasts now? I can’t believe we’ve come to this.

Fortunately, we’re going to move on to digging out some new lodgings deeper down now. I think we can get some plumbing set up too, because the lack of running water is intolerable. Intolerable, I say!

21st Slate 101

Dear Diary,

I finally have a bedroom! Ashtar is going to be our manager for now, so he will have an office too. I think I’ll give myself an office too since I’m a leader around here.

It is getting very hot, and the grass outside has started to go yellow. Is it really supposed to do that? I also heard when the weather gets hot, water is supposed to evaporate, but I haven’t seen the pool of honey badger blood drying up. I’m worried.

2nd Felsite 101

Diary,

We will finally have running water around here. The lodgings are mostly complete, save for one, but water takes priority. We may be able to have a security system to flood the main stairwell in case of an invasion or something. I'm told we need to have a "drain" to do that safely. What is a drain?

This is what the entrance level looks like, with the dining room.

These are our lodgings. A well room has already been dug out.

1st Hematite 101

Dear Diary,

The first crops have been harvested! We now have sweet pods. We may survive after all.

The plumbing has been dug, but we need mechanisms and a bucket to finish the well and connect up the plumbing. We also need to build a screw pump and a generator for the pumping station. We may have to wait for some more migrants. Meanwhile, I’m having Saint build the foundations for the pumping station.

I expanded the lodgings so we can now support 12 dwarves, and 4 can also have an office. One of our miners, Titus Drake the Daemonhunter says that he wants to do some more research on the Giant Brown Recluse Spider things, so I’m giving him one of the offices.

19th Hematite 101

Dear Diary,

The miners finished digging out the rooms, so we started smoothing up the place. I then noticed we have some hematite around after all. That’s right, we now have a source of iron! I am told there is some flux further down, so we’re going to have proper steel!

Unfortunately mining the gold vein did not produce that many gold nuggets. Is competency around here really that low?

21st Hematite 101

Dear Diary,

I knew they were out to get me. Seven of us came to found the fortress of Sparkgear. We are now 19, with 6 children. Oh well, some are nearly adults.

8th Malachite 101

Dear Diary,

The pumping station is done, and the floodgate installed. I got some of the new migrants to do some of the masonry.

We got a bit of dwarven syrup, and something called raspberry jam. I wonder whether that tastes as good as dwarven syrup.

As the year draws to a close, I will have a tomb built for myself. It will contain the controls to the plumbing system.

13th Malachite 101

Diary,

I can confirm the strange farmer who came is not a vampire. That was a close one!

My tomb is taking shape. It is built right over the other stairwell going down into the ground.

28th Galena 101

Dear Diary,

One of the dogs gave birth to puppies! My tomb is nearing completion and I have put some of the levers to control the plumbing in there. The plumbing is smoothed up and I just need to attach the second floodgate to the well pipes. I've also dug out two new rooms for workshops and storage, so we can start working safely underground.

During the summer we ran out of booze because nobody thought of building a still. We now have a still running in the dining room.

6th Sandstone 101

Dear Diary,

My tomb is finished. The Dark Templar is still making doors for the rooms underground, and we have some new storerooms.

12th Sandstone 101

Dear Diary,

Once again, we are flooded with migrants. We are now up to 30 dwarves, with 12 children.

14th Timber 101

Dear Diary,

The caravan is finally here! As they were arriving, a creature called a "kobold thief" was detected and cut down by the guards. Another honey badger then charged in and was also cut down. Today is a great day for Sparkgear!

5th Moonstone 101

Diary,

The power station is finally built and running! We will now be able to get running water.

Ashtar sold the caravan some prepared meals and the clothing from the dead kobold. In exchange we got a lot more food, and some metal bars.

7th Moonstone 101

Diary,

Udil Shagogdeduk, an Engraver, just withdraw from society. I am told he needs a craftdwarves’ workshop. I will get one built as soon as I can.

20th Moonstone 101

Diary,

Udil just made Atotidok Enseb Usen, "Choppedpoints the Basis of Helping", a native gold toy pickaxe. It has an image of the Mato Talkedtorments the orc being struck down by the minotaur íci Matchedmolten in The Somber Hills in 83. It is worth 75,600 Suns. Apparently we can now get sieges by goblins and other creatures. We aren’t even prepared for that! I will salvage some of the kobold weapons for the trap corridor, if I can.

The event depicted on the artefact happened in The Somber Hills? That's where this fortress is! Maybe we can capture the minotaur if it shows up around here.

26th Moonstone 101

Diary,

Sure enough, more kobolds showed up. Damnation. Fortunately they didn’t take anything.

4th Opal 101

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

6th Opal 101

Diary,

The weredeer transformed back into a human. Two creatures outside were attacked but no casualties.

25th Opal 101

Dear Diary,
I met with the liason and organized a contract. He told me Griffinpup will be taking over my duties running the fortress, so I can do more important things. I wonder what they are?

We started moving stuff down underground. I’m going to keep things going until we’re all safely underground.

We also got Ashtar a new tomb.

7th Obsidian

Dear Diary,

Today I’m officially handing power over to Griffinpup. We have built a reasonably-sized fortress.

These are the rooftops of the tombs, the pumping station, and the power station.

This is the surface, including the pumping station and the tombs of Caligula and Ashtar. The wagon is still to be emptied.

This is the underground entrance and dining hall. The entrance hall is supposed to be trapped.

This is the residential level, with two well rooms. Only one has been finished so far. The lever by the statue shuts off the floodgate on the level below, which supplies water to the wells, but I think I forgot to label it.

This is the workshop level. Two rooms have been built, one for wood storage and the other for furniture storage.

This is the status of the fortress at the end of my reign.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7810
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:49:06 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 11:34:54 am »

Dwarf me as an insane Ex-adviser to the king! Call him Ashtar The Great!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 11:37:39 am »

Dwarf me as Saint, Dark Templar, please.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:52 am »

Dwarf me as Argembarger. I have no preferences save it be a dwarf.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »

I would also prefer to be a dwarf.  :o Korgoth Stormbringer please.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »

Lets keep this on the first page, OK? Because I've set the changeover at midnight Tokyo Time, unless you are in that part of the world, the changeover will almost certainly happen on Sunday.

I think this is the most pink fortress I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:10:14 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »

Good lord. Giant brown recluse spiders? I forget, do they have SuperDeadly Brown Recluse Venom?

I also just realized... I'm not sure exactly how the changeover works, given that we're going off of Tokyo time.

Since most of us (I assume) don't live in Tokyo, it's going to be, let's say, Wednesday, in Tokyo, but it'll still be Tuesday in Not-Tokyo. If 12:01 AM Tokyo Time on Wednesday is equal to 8:01 AM Local Time on Tuesday, and I take my turn on Wednesday, is that Local Time Wednesday, or Tokyo Time Wednesday?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:44:07 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

Pink Fortress??? I smell Emperor's Children...

Please if you can, Dwarf me as "Titus Drake" with the glorious profession of "Daemonhunter" (an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor). Try to pick an interesting dwarf and if possible, get him to start working as a Doctor while training his military skills.

Great start to the fortress by the way, I will investigate these 'Brown Recluse Spiders'... I sense Daemon...
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 07:40:16 pm »

Pink Fortress??? I smell Emperor's Children...

Please if you can, Dwarf me as "Titus Drake" with the glorious profession of "Daemonhunter" (an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor). Try to pick an interesting dwarf and if possible, get him to start working as a Doctor while training his military skills.

Great start to the fortress by the way, I will investigate these 'Brown Recluse Spiders'... I sense Daemon...

At the moment we have two unclaimed miners, and nobody else. I can dwarf someone from the next wave, or I can dwarf you as a miner. The mining squad will have to double as a military squad, since we have no other weapons. Also, the expedition leader (Caligula) is a miner.

The fortress is pink because the first few layers are made from pink rhyolite, which is pink. Pink rhyolite is from Dig Deeper.

I don't think anyone here uses Tokyo time, unless they live in Japan or in parts of Australia. Previous Sparkgear games made a point of timezones, so I decided to make it a meta-game in itself.

Edit: Dwarfed Titus Drake, Daemonhunter as a miner. Unfortunately, I missed the "interesting dwarf" bit, but he is one of the starting seven.

As to updates, unless there's a damn good reason I will edit already posted stuff to add to the journal. Damn Good Reason involves posts becoming very long and exceeding the character limit (do we have one?), or the fortress entering what is a clearly new era. For example, transitioning between the era of deep exploration into the era of magma floods.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:49:25 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »

At the moment we have two unclaimed miners, and nobody else. I can dwarf someone from the next wave, or I can dwarf you as a miner. The mining squad will have to double as a military squad, since we have no other weapons. Also, the expedition leader (Caligula) is a miner.

The fortress is pink because the first few layers are made from pink rhyolite, which is pink. Pink rhyolite is from Dig Deeper.

I don't think anyone here uses Tokyo time, unless they live in Japan or in parts of Australia. Previous Sparkgear games made a point of timezones, so I decided to make it a meta-game in itself.

Edit: Dwarfed Titus Drake, Daemonhunter as a miner. Unfortunately, I missed the "interesting dwarf" bit, but he is one of the starting seven.

As to updates, unless there's a damn good reason I will edit already posted stuff to add to the journal. Damn Good Reason involves posts becoming very long and exceeding the character limit (do we have one?), or the fortress entering what is a clearly new era. For example, transitioning between the era of deep exploration into the era of magma floods.

Thanks for dwarfing me, a miner sounds great! He can also double as a dabbling surgeon...
Anyways, I live in Australia so timezone wise its pretty much like Tokyo.
Also, your ideas on the journal seem good. I like the idea of new eras: "The Age of Arrival", "The Age of Fiery Floods", "The Age of &&&&&&&"
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 01:54:48 am »

Character limit is definitely a thing.

Also I guess I"m just gonna have to log in every day at 8 AM and see if it's my turn or not.

Which I pretty much do already.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 10:29:03 am »

Griffinpup let me know when you're ready to take over the save. Its a big one so uploading will take time.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »

Alright, the save is up and I think the logs are done. The artefact just bumped us into goblin siege territory, so the next pkayer, griffinpup, should probably start fortifying fast.

If you didn't get the save link, it is
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7810

Sorry it took a while to get this up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14