Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324965 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2370 on: June 04, 2015, 03:32:28 pm »

this just in: evicted from the server during pirate station attack. My bomber is vulnerable, with all my sweet loot in it. it's at 23,-26, 60. there was a hell of a lot of loot floating near the bow, and pirate fighters nearby. If someone can warp in and bump it to safety, maybe take out the station/pirates, that would be awesome. Collect the loot if you find it; it's probably worth a lot.

However, I have a new strategy for looting pirates! When the server doesn't drop you!

Here we go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also this thread:

http://starmadedock.net/threads/tips-tricks-ideas-and-r-d.7907/
I totally stole his idea :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:55:39 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 04, 2015, 04:04:41 pm »

Whoa, when did it get upgraded to do 50k damage? Is that in vanilla? Why didn't I see it in the blockbehaviorconfig?  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 04, 2015, 04:25:38 pm »

I have no idea whether that guy is working on vanilla or some servers' config, but it worked on that one pirate I killed on EE just a bit ago (8k or something shields). I can't parse the bloody config files myself, so I can't find the warhead's behavior...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 04, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »

this just in: evicted from the server during pirate station attack. My bomber is vulnerable, with all my sweet loot in it. it's at 23,-26, 60.

server is restarting. I'll be playing this evening, I can taxxi you there if you plan to be online.

Did you get nuked during server lag spike?

no I just got pinched by a linebacker and a hellhound, shield recharge wasn't enough for both of them.

woah. that is a big hole.

edit: by the way, I am building a ship, but I am still unsure on the weapons. What do you suggest?

well, currently missile are the dps king. missile missile if you play solo are good at swatting those pirate fighters, but you'll need a bigger missile+pulse combo for taking out capitals.

I'm experimenting with cannon... stripping shields it's actually easy; getting damage to the core so so. I'm having success both with big cheesy cannon of mincemeating arrays - cannon+cannon (50%)+explosive(100%), tuned so that each cannon of the array does 1000dmg/projectile - and stupid big cannon+cannon (50%)+punch trough (100%)

I do cannon cannon because it helps aiming. cannon+pulse has actually a bigger dps per block, but the 8 second shot rate of fire is boooooring

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 04, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »

this just in: evicted from the server during pirate station attack. My bomber is vulnerable, with all my sweet loot in it. it's at 23,-26, 60.

server is restarting. I'll be playing this evening, I can taxxi you there if you plan to be online.

Actually, what would be awesome is if you could go there, cloaked or not, and just verify whether or not the pirate fighters are still in the vicinity. If they aren't, I should still be out of range of the station's guns, so hopefully I don't get killed. I think the station guns on the Eta pirate station are only basic cannons, so it would be as simple as knowing the default range of basic cannons and how far away my ship is from the station (I dont think I was moving at the time)
I make Spellcrafts!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 05, 2015, 12:15:44 am »

...it's at 23,-26, 60...

Your stealth ship and an overheating strike fighter wreck were in the area 4020-4060km from the pirate station. No fighters. Recovered remaining space loot, brought both ships back and docked them to home base. Accidentally hit Zanzetkuken's ship with the warhead sticking way out there while trying to dock but it's home based 8D Dock your dang ships everybody!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 05, 2015, 12:32:27 am »

Can't dock a ship when the server won't let you log back in :P

Thanks, though. Glad to hear there was even still loot around.
I make Spellcrafts!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 05, 2015, 02:32:32 am »

No prob, it was much-needed content.
I understood your ship's situation for being adrift, I was referring to the ships floating un-secured and vulnerable around home base while I was weaving your ship around and through them looking for a dock without knowing what that one peculiar, red-ish, warheady-looking block out front was until accidentally and inevitably knocking it into something.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 05, 2015, 02:48:18 am »

speaking of which, I'm using this pattern now for docking, and it could be nice if we standardize on this so that rescuing operations are easier... and classier

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

note that punch trough on elwyn goes up to 1, so when effect is 100% projectiles just pass trough the enemy ships.. without leaving any damage behind

found it hard while fighting a couple linebacker and a hellhound, luckily this time I got some backup from my brother silly battleship

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 05, 2015, 07:09:24 am »

I suppose I am guilty of the undocked ships. I really need to take a look at docking, so I can properly secure my ship ( and perhaps get a shuttle)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 05, 2015, 11:23:12 am »

Yeah, the USD type-1 design should work in most cases.

I so wish I could play properly, but the laptop I borrowed and the server just don't get along, it seems.

The warhead bomber thing totally works, though. There's no cure for lag and crappy servers, but now there is a cure for pirate fighters and lack of loot.
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 05, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »

well as I expected Edo messed up with one of the old and powerful server factions, and now we're fugitive XD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 07, 2015, 01:28:30 am »

I was messing with the dev build, and it looks like the hit point/armor system is coming up next version. Its not looking real great right now; each individual block is just as fragile, so it doesn't take any more effort to drill into someone's core. However, after destroying the core (damaging it to 0 HP), you must continue on to destroy the rest of the ship, to eliminate some greater portion of it, before the target overheats. Missiles will be even more important, since eliminating blocks is the name of the game, and cannons/beams will be even more useless. Way to go, devs.
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 07, 2015, 01:34:52 am »

Missiles will be even more important, since eliminating blocks is the name of the game, and cannons/beams will be even more useless. Way to go, devs.

that sounds very bad, but I guess good server admins will just nerf missile damage/block and explosion range, or increase shield and other weapons dps, and people will migrate

edit:
are turret shenanigans fixed? that's what annoy me the most. missile have always be very strong, but anti missile turret were also really effective previously.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:44:34 am by LoSboccacc »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 07, 2015, 01:50:09 am »

Wait, wouldn't being able to make turrets to shoot down missiles be a good thing, if missiles are so much better than the other weapons? Missiles being dominant, you'd want them to have an effective counter.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 181