Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324928 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I've run into that problem when blocks/ships aren't all pointing the same direction. I'll try to draw a picture here in a sec, but to ensure I don't run into the problem I do this; on the mother ship, the turret axis block's arrows don't actually matter as far as I know, but I always have them facing forwards, towards the bow of the ship. On the turret base (horizontal axis) I place the rail docker that will connect to the mother ship facing the bow of the turret, so pointing out ahead of the core. When it lines up with the axis on the mother ship the base ends up pointing towards the bow, so from the core of the turret base in flight mode I'm facing the direction the arrows on the dock and axis are pointing. I do the same for the barrel: the arrows on the vertical axis block I point forwards, towards the bow of the base, and the docker on the barrel is pointing to the bow of the barrel piece, so that once connected, the view from the core of the barrel in flight mode is showing me the bow of my turret base, and the parent ship.

Granted, you could be facing a different problem, but mismatched arrows is the only reason I known of that would cause the two pieces to rotate independently.

Also, to answer the previous question; to "defeat" a pirate station, you have to blow up the faction module. Once destroyed the station will revert to neutral and also become "decayed." To do it efficiently, you'd want to know where precisely the faction block is. You could practice in single player, like blow a hole in the station, enter, and scope it out until you've found it. Or you could just nuke the entire thing, that works just as well, and you wouldn't get anything out of the station anyway.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:51:09 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got them working now, but it seems like there are only a few possible orientations where the rotation mapping works, and the system wasn't designed to handle anything, uh, non-standard (initially I was trying some quite different things than what I ended up with here).

I basically had to rebuild my test turret so that:
1. The first rotator was pointing up from the ship it was on
2. The barrel's docker is below its core, pointing down
3. The barrel's rotator is above the core, pointing off to the side
4. The gun has its docker behind its core, with the arrow on the bottom face of the docker block (pointing forward) so that the gun ends up horizontal rather than on its side.
5. The gun's gun-stuff is to its left, right top and bottom, and forward. It's relatively small though, and the only thing causing collisions currently is the camera I placed some 10 blocks or so behind the gun itself.

I think you're right that the barrel's arrows don't matter, and that making the arrows line up matters. For the record, I have placed four of these now on power lines bars rails, with the arrow on the base rotator facing away from the ship's core on each. Then the barrel's arrow is facing back toward the ship for no particular reason, and the gun's is facing away from the ship regardless of where the ship's "forward" is.

(That said, I ended up with one on its side with vertical and horizontal rotations swapped before this, but that was because I had the gun's gun-stuff and docker in the wrong orientation/location)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:55:35 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Tried logging in on a borrowed laptop today. All was lag. Lost my stealth barge when the client crashed. Keep an eye out for it, will you?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:40:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lost as in lost track of, or as in pirates blew it up?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I'm guessing it went floating off into the void at 250 mps. Where it stops, nobody will ever see it again. :P

Speaking of losing crap in situations like this, there's a suggestions thread over on the starmade forums that needs some support:
http://starmadedock.net/threads/ship-tracking-bacon.7797/

Bacon not included.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:50:18 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Wot. This is wow.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Reconnecting now. Apparently it was a server malfunction...

Ship is completely immobile, next to me. Better than I'd expected, honestly.
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

server is doing a cycle of restarts right now, apparently it's being crashed on purpose

and that's why we can't have nice things

edit: in an unrelated news I was trying to build a space mothership filled with drones and ready for war, instead I got this

Spoiler: space lamevan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:41:39 pm by LoSboccacc »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I'm guessing it went floating off into the void at 250 mps. Where it stops, nobody will ever see it again. :P

Speaking of losing crap in situations like this, there's a suggestions thread over on the starmade forums that needs some support:
http://starmadedock.net/threads/ship-tracking-bacon.7797/

Bacon not included.

For future reference, as long as you don't reflexively jump into a ship core there's a button (on the navigation screen... I think... not sure) that tells you where the last ship you were piloting is located.

Just mash that till it stops moving, write it down, and then hop in a ship core and go pick it up

Edit: Also apparently it's relatively easy for admins to find lost ships if you named it and remember the name, so if you find one in a good mood they'd probably tell you where it was.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:47:57 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

damn lag - got all turret stripped while still having 100% shield to a lagged missile from that damned missile corvette.

killed it in retaliation (having bigger nukes) still, having all turret killed like that is hella annoying

also server crashed (again) and ship is lost in space (again).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This server seems increasingly unstable.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am finally building a biggish ship, but what kind of power generation should I aim for? I got 600k, maybe can push to 700k, but am I going to , for example, be able to fight a pirate ship with that kind of power generation?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I am finally building a biggish ship, but what kind of power generation should I aim for? I got 600k, maybe can push to 700k, but am I going to , for example, be able to fight a pirate ship with that kind of power generation?

You should plan the rest of your ship first to figure out how much power it needs. Keep in mind, there's a soft cap of 1 million power generation (after that, you get a lot less per generator). So once you hit the cap, you will probably want to add lots of power capacitors and only add more generators if you really need them.

From what I understand, fighting pirates is more about shields/shield regeneration - I read somewhere you should try to have 2 million shields and 200,000 shield regeneration but that's insane and requires a massive ship so I don't know if it's true. I've never actually fought the pirates so I don't know exactly what you need.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

consider turrets are very very bad right now. you can see all the known issues collected here:

http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/2117

they work okish for default ishant pirates, since engagements aren't very long, but on the server we all moved now they will have time to exhibit all those behaviors and more.

note that there are going to be many pirates coming at you at any given time, so the key for now is going to be killing them fast enough to prevent accumulation of waves after waves.

your main weapons need to be able to punch to their core effectively. If you are alone, a ion cannon plus missile missile main weapon works well, if you play in group that's gonna be annoying, and I'd suggest instead missile cannon dumbfire, as pirate AI is not going to dodge stuff anyway

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Missile missiles have been nerfed into the ground on EE, though. I'd probably only use them as chaff to distract anti-missile turrets. (And I'd only use one missile block on each computer)

In stock starmade, missile missiles fire 20 missiles, each of which has 1/3 normal blast radius, 1/2 normal speed, is heat seeking, and has 2x normal damage per salvo* or 1/10th normal damage per missile, for a cost of double the normal power per salvo.

* Damage in blockbehaviorconfig.xml is per salvo, and the game divides by the number of missiles in the salvo to determine how much damage each missile should do.

On EE, missile missiles fire 21 missiles, each of which has 1/3 normal blast radius, 1/2 normal speed, is heat seeking, and has 1/10th normal damage per salvo or 1/210th normal damage per missile, for a cost of double the normal power per activation. They changed it from <Damage style="skip" linear="true" /> and <Split style="buff" value="19" /> to <Damage style="nerf" value="20" linear="true" /> and <Split style="buff" value="20" />, effectively adding a missile while nerfing it into the ground. I don't know if it was intentional or if they didn't understand what they were doing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:46:09 pm by Shadowlord »
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181