Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324937 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

aaaand server's gone while I was mining some stuff in a random sector - hope I haven't lost my ship finally got to the mythical 2mil shields

edit: found a custom trading station! awesome! I thought only pirates were upgraded

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:53:01 pm by LoSboccacc »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

I think i'll be firing this back up since I haven't played in a while and I feel like making a cool ship. Question is, anyone know of any servers more focused on building cool stuff/rp rather than survival?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since the server was crashing so much, I decided to finish my planet miner in Sandbox.

I just finished it, and attempted to jump to a planet to test it... and Starmade crashed. I reloaded it, jumped again, and it crashed again. So much for that, I guess.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Missile missiles have been nerfed into the ground on EE, though. I'd probably only use them as chaff to distract anti-missile turrets. (And I'd only use one missile block on each computer)

kind of - they mostly extended the range of tweakability: xml exposes 100% mod, but all values in between are valid, if you aim at 50% the results are close to the vanilla game.

here is my swatter anti fighter launcher:

700 blocks, 21 missiles (7 x 3 tubes) @1000 damage each and I have yet to add the explosion effect.

the only drawback is that heat seekers love to hit you and your turrets, so they are mostly useful in cruiser to fighters combat.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2359 on: June 01, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »

I think i'll be firing this back up since I haven't played in a while and I feel like making a cool ship. Question is, anyone know of any servers more focused on building cool stuff/rp rather than survival?
I haven't been on it to see what it's like (only know of it from Youtube videos), but Mushroom Fleet might be more to your liking. They mainly focus on building ships and testing out game mechanics, and, looking at the server rules, PvP is banned everywhere but the triple negative sectors (-1,-2,-3 and the like), which has tougher pirates and better loot. I don't know how much roleplaying they actually do, but it is something mentioned in their server tags.

I figure I should also mention they have their own website.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:24 pm »

Thanks Kadzar, i'm still on the fence on whether I really wanna start on a project right now. I have the same gripe with this game as I do with MC about building x10, at least on MC there's a huge community to peddle your skills to. Starmade's community is pretty small and seems to be way more focused on survival rather than building besides a few, dedicated, really awesome builders. Which makes me sad. I would like a game that is essentially EVE-like, or really just focused on missions and PVP, etc. but you have all the shipbuilding tools of Starmade and design your own ships. Nuthin' I hate more than flyin' around in my awesome ship alone, not doing anything in SP.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: June 01, 2015, 06:26:20 pm »

There's a "Battle Mode" - if there was a server running that with uploaded blueprints turned off (to prevent just uploading a ship from the starmade site) and perhaps scheduled tournaments or something, that might be interesting.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:40 am »

Is there any way to make beam weapon truly devastating? All my experiments with beam + pulse + weapon overload/ explosive/ punch through/piercing  computer end up with no real effect on target, just 3-4 blocks removed.Meanwhile missiles even without support systems just make enemy ships to vanish in giant explosion.
Also is there any way to make several  beam arrays  fire in the same time from different output zones, like cannons do that?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: June 02, 2015, 09:16:34 am »

I've tested my missile turret, which shoots up to 6 missiles (each tube consisting of 10 blocks split between missile tubes and damage beam for guidance. Even one damage beam makes it 100% guided) and my experience is that it digs into the core of the stock pirate ships, probably overheating it, but doesn't exactly blow up the whole ship, just a medium-sized hole.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:41 pm »

The missile-pulse combo+explosive makes for an impressive blast radius, certainly.

As for beams, beam+explosive is actually the most destructive against hulls. it works like this when the hull is struck: +; damaged block, |; edge of hull, -; undamaged block

So assuming an immobile target, you'd wind up drilling a hole and damaging a good deal of the blocks directly adjacent to it. Not as good as missiles, but that's still pretty destructive for vessels with only a single layer of armor over their soft, squishy internal mechanisms.

However, beams are known to be pretty damn ineffective at actually hitting the target. Problems with latency between clients and server, damage occuring in ticks as the beam is concentrated on a block, rather than an instant hit and a delay between the next, the beams just not hitting anything at all beyond two kilometers... Beams are effectively the worst weapon on servers at the moment. I've never heard of anyone actually using pulse weapons, though. Cannons, okay, but people still only use giant machineguns. Missiles everywhere.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:40 pm »

Is there any way to make beam weapon truly devastating?

try beam + cannon + explosive. fairly short ranged, but the continuous explosion will shred just anything - you optimize it to get 1000 exactly damage per tick and build more tubes to reach for bigger absolute dps, possibily in a 'salvage cannon' pattern

ooooor you go for a massive beam+cannon combo with enough ion % to have the dps per tick reduced to 1000 (i.e. cannon that does 100000 natural damage per tick + 99% ion will deal 1000 dps to cubes - enough to core ships in a straight line, while doing massive damage to shields.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: June 04, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »

Here's a diagram using in-game blocks (I said I'd make one) in case anyone is still having trouble with rail turrets.

The only part that I'm aware of that you can change however you want without breaking anything, is the direction/location of the turret axis on the parent ship; Instead of facing forward on the top face, it could be facing left on the rear face, for instance. But you wouldn't have to do anything to the turret itself (the base or the barrel) to effect that change,just relocate/reorient the axis block on the parent ship, if that makes sense.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: June 04, 2015, 02:42:37 pm »

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: June 04, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »

Did you get nuked during server lag spike?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: June 04, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »

woah. that is a big hole.

edit: by the way, I am building a ship, but I am still unsure on the weapons. What do you suggest?
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 181