Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324935 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not many of these games like it. While it has the same style as Minecraft, you can design your own ships and travel through space (all seamless). I've been looking for a game like this ever since I played spore space. I love being able to travel to planets and travel on them and do stuff on them. Not many games let you do that. There is of course Shores of Hazeron, but that is a different topic...its an example.

Official website: http://star-made.org/

The B12 official server for StarMade: 68.55.212.49:4242

The PvP zones for the server are in sectors 10-20, 10-20, 10-20 (can always change if needed). This means the PvP zone starts at 10, 10, 10 and is any combination of 10 to 20 in each category. 10, 10, 8 would not be a PvP zone. Keep in mind, people can shoot into the next sector.

Blueprint fix (file is usually named wrong when you save a blueprint, but this guide tells you how to fix it. What happens is, you buy the ship, it takes your money and you don't get the ship due to the misnamed file. Be sure to leave the 3.0.0 at the end of the name (or whatever number it is, mine always works with that): http://star-made.org/content/fixcatalog-issue-baught-ship-blueprint-wont-spawnfix

First heard about it from the Yogscast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHgcttS39w

And features (copy pasted from website)

StarMade is a minecraft inspired 3D sandbox space shooter.

Explore: Explore space generated in real time around you
    Design: design you own ship or space station.
    Customize: create customized weapons, harvesting elements, shields and docking stations for your ship. Combine elements to groups to make your modules even more powerful.
    Multiplayer: full multi player: share control of your ship or design a ship together
    Destroy: destroy your enemies with your powerful weapons or just infiltrate an enemy ship. There already is a big arsenal of destructive modules: Missiles (normal, heat seeking and target chasing), Lasers, and Explosive modules that detonate on impact
    Salvage: salvage the ships of your fallen enemies to gain credits
    Physics: fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions
    Stealth: use radar jamming and cloaking modules for a surprise attack.
    Multiplatform: runs on windows, mac and linux
    Share: save, import & export your own ships as blueprints. You can upload your blueprints to any multi player server
    AI: fight your own creations alone or in coop mode
    Tutorial: interactive tutorial to learn the basics

There are probably better videos to get an idea of what the game is like, but you can check out the website and what not for yourself. Keep in mind, alpha is alpha.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:55:53 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »

Heard about this today; giving it a try now.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »

It sounds a little too good to be true. I'm wondering how long it'll take before it crashes and burns.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »

Why do sandbox games such as these 'minecraft clones,' as I'm sure people will dub them, try to constrict themselves to merely using blocks? Is it just easier to make the game that way, or are they just too afraid that players will get confused if they have more elaborate options available to them?

I'm just sore because I remember seeing some pretty awesome stuff in Tribes 2 construction mod, and that mainly used beams and pads.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »

Two particular reasons that I can think of is:

1. Because Minecraft was successful.
2. Because level generation with blocks seems to be easier to make, and have it look half-decent.

But probably the former, to be honest. From what I saw of that video, however brief my viewing time was, I saw trees that looked exactly like the ones in Minecraft, with slightly different textures...

Anyways, downloading now. Building spaceships? Yes, please.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44:23 pm »

Not entirely fond of what looks to be flat worlds.

But it's certainly not a deal breaker.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »

Not entirely fond of what looks to be flat worlds.

But it's certainly not a deal breaker.
I believe he said they did it to make gravity interaction simpler, which I can understand.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:55:53 pm »

The worlds are basically disks; one side is boring and featureless, the other is the 'top' with gravity and such. TBH, it's a good design decision. Spheres made out of cubes and with radial gravity would just be bad, as most of the world would have non-flat terrain and be really terrible looking.

Trying to figure out crafting, but unfortunately all the interface stuff for that is absolutely wretched. The only recipe guides I can find are poorly formatted plaintext massive lists. :P

Anyway, so far it's seeming pretty good; better than most of the other alpha-state games I've seen with the idea.

On crafting: Best I can tell, it seems to be a tech level system, with the goal being the creation of higher level 'schemadyne' modules... Though I may be wrong about that; these lists are impenetrable.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:00:11 pm by alway »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »

Yeah, the lists turned me off as well. Some proper documentation would save the game in my eyes, but I haven't played in a while just because it's kinda pointless trying to play something you can't figure out.
Nothing important here, move along.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:04:52 pm »

I'm running through the tutorial as well and will set up a dedicated server later on. Looks neat.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

He seems to want to create a wiki on his site; it's terrible. Put one together here instead: http://starmade.wikia.com/wiki/StarMade_Wiki

Because, y'know, it's an actual wiki.

Here's the master list of recipes and such; toss those in if you've got some spare time: http://star-made.org/content/master-recipe-list-factories-and-production

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:33 pm »

Pretty neat for an alpha, from what I saw in a half hour or so of giving it a go. Controls are alright. Bit of a bitch to actually hit something when both things are moving around quick (need lead indicator :P), but eh.

Stresses my computer like a wozzname, though :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »

Dear gods, this dev has the most sadistic item naming conventions ever.

Quantanium, Quantacide, and Quantagen are 3 different types of very different mineral.  >____>

Edit: Just finished creating all the mineral pages on the wiki. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:58:22 pm by alway »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »

Dear gods, this dev has the most sadistic item naming conventions ever.

Quantanium, Quantacide, and Quantagen are 3 different types of very different mineral.  >____>

Edit: Just finished creating all the mineral pages on the wiki. ^_^

Nice to see contribution already. :) The game is rather hard to learn lol. That should make it easier to add more details about minerals and what not for people to add.

I thought the flat planets were a bit weird too, but the poster above does make a good point. If they were actually square , they probably wouldn't look as good. But, I don't know, don't really know much about the techy stuff.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »

Hrm, first circular crafting dependency found and noted on the wiki. The BOBBY AI Module (referred, rather confusingly, just as BOBBY in the crafting list), is both built from and required for the schemadyne 3000. Buy one or more from a shop before you leave.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 181