Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324950 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2400 on: June 08, 2015, 01:37:24 pm »

Very well, thanks, I'll do that just in case

IGN: Neutromancer

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 08, 2015, 04:45:40 pm »

my ship's getting some shape finally

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(that thing in background is my brother's, he'll never finish it)

building in survival with that server lag is slooooooow

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 08, 2015, 07:08:14 pm »

The only thing I'm worried about with this idea is that it might penalize ships that aren't perfectly boxy, or that have outspread wingy-bits. On the other hand, if the stealth bubble extended to rail parts, you might have a legitimate reason to have weapons pop out, so that you could switch between stealth and attack forms.

There's a suggestion thread on the forums about mass-based radar signatures. (and a link in that thread to an even older one! And yes, I, and a couple others apparently, think its better to have it depend on something other than dimensions, because "doom cubes" are lame and going by dimensions would make a cube the ideal form. I would go for mass.
Yeah, though people still make non-"doom cubes", even though their not optimal, but the current system means you can't make anything but a bare skeleton ship.

But maybe a compromise comes from another suggestion in the "similar threads" thing at the bottom of that page you linked. It's actually about turning speed, but it applies, since it suggests taking mass and size into consideration.

Although maybe all this won't be such a problem when we finally have different masses for blocks, and possibly a stealth system that isn't binary. Though it would be good if a giant hollow sphere isn't as easy to detect as a smaller sphere with the same exact mass.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:56 pm »

What about using the silhouette area averaged between three directions, rather than a bounding box size? That way a hollow ship will have more size than a dense one, but also you can have a ship with spikes sticking out that don't effect the size much.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:51 am »

It also need to be not cpu intensive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:59 am »

calculate the area once whenever the ship changes shape. Done.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 09, 2015, 01:23:15 am »

meet the cannon cannon combo, (or the beam for that matter) now ship changes shape every .1 second

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:51 am »

I think you are overestimating the time it takes to flatten a 3d grid onto a 2d grid.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:10 am »

probably you're right.

anyway, interestingly, you can have a measure of compactness also by counting open vs closed faces, and that's directly stored in the ship structure.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:48 am »

Does the game still crash the server if you crash a ship into a planet, or you buy a ship and it ends up being so big it crashes it? I imagine that be fixed has that was a while ago.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 09, 2015, 07:45:17 am »

Does the game still crash the server if you crash a ship into a planet, or you buy a ship and it ends up being so big it crashes it? I imagine that be fixed has that was a while ago.

It's been fixed. In general, the game runs better than it did 6-12 months ago.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 09, 2015, 08:15:30 am »

Tried combinating stuff. 4 separate missile+ missile are making pretty clouds of !FUN!
 Missile + pulse just removes things from existance, but the flight speed is so slow, that captain of pirate ship manages to get three phds, marry, build small villa, grow tropical forest  around it, make movie about his pirate adventures, win Oscar, start piratepedia for beginning pirates and to finally die. When his ship is sold by second in command and  turned into museum of space piracy, only then your missile suddenly hits.
Missile + beam has nice damage and is fast. Cannons and beams seem to be just support weapons to weaken hostiles before/ between missile salvos. Pulse, well, in theory, you can make invisible ship with ram made from warheads, break through someones powerfields and armour and to activate your pulse array to blow someone from the inside. But I bet, that cloaker ship of nearly same design, but with small missile + pulse for pointblank shot after ramming would be x 10 better.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 09, 2015, 09:01:06 am »

and you can do even more with effects

try cannon+cannon+explosion for vaporizing blocks, or cannon+pulse+punch trough to leave massive scars on anything you encounter

remember, more than 1000 damage per shot on any weapon is effectively overkill for blocks (but not for shield) so dps favor massive number of weapons in parallel (except punchtrough, then you want a huge damage so it actually punches trough)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 09, 2015, 09:09:54 am »

Remember that ratios of less than 50% are also workable, both the upsides and downsides will change proportionally. So a 10 missile+5 pulse will be averaged between the speeds of a pure 10 missile and a 10 missile+10 pulse, same as damage, radius, fire rate, etc. Binary effects like guided or heatseeking will still work tho.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 09, 2015, 04:44:59 pm »

Tried playing on the server from a desktop at a computer lab. Although the game runs great, I have 10000 ping or something. I lost my stealth ship when I tried to bump a pirate, the server decided I had warped through the pirate or something, so instead of having the pirate off my bow, it was stuck in the aft section, and there were no less than four large holes in my ship, including one centered around the core. Oh, and the warhead? Still right where it had been. So apparently laggy warheads spawn ghost-explosions.
I didn't get any loot either, because I couldn't get back in time; whenever I tried to move the ship with the thrusters, the server would send me off several sectors away. And of course you cant jump to another point in the same sector.

That was the least productive two hours I've ever spent in a game.

Before wandering off to die horribly I added more plex storage to the station, next to the factory, and moved a bunch of stuff from the old planetary base over, including our warpgate computers and modules. When I checked the recieving gate at the station out in the middle of nowhere, I found it partially destroyed. All that's left is a little block with a computer and faction module, so I grabbed the computer.
We can just throw the warpgate back down on the planet if we ever decide we need to be able to warp onto the surface, I guess? The remainder of the equipment is all in plex storage.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 181