Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324985 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

It's been quite a while since I touched cloak/stealth blocks. Are they still a "nothing but power and one engine" build to run both?

yes. you'll need the maximal efficiency power generator (1000 block in x configuration) and with the resulting 1mil energy you can cloack around 6600 blocks (total, so subtract your power generation star)

not a small ship, considering you can dump a nuke to ruin someone day and escape trough warp

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I was just thinking about making an armored fast blockade runner in this style:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More of a 1-2 seater though. Long in front with power under the hood. I want the smallest dead on profile with the cockpit in the back. I'm not too worried about efficiency. It just needs to go fast, be silent, look good, and still take some flak.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:36:39 pm by BigD145 »

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I can't seem to log onto the server, but single player is working fine. Is there a problem on my end?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I can't seem to log onto the server, but single player is working fine. Is there a problem on my end?

Seems to be loading OK for me.

Edit: are you trying the server in the OP? Because that's long gone. check a few pages back for the one we're playing on now
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The weapons used to determine range, fire rate and maybe another bonus from their shape.

A 1mil e/sec ship can be made with around 4k power rechargers leaving 2k blocks for other systems I think. Smaller ships can support less since you can't use long lines of rechargers for the best bonus.

You're definitely right that a small ship will have a bigger problem since it'll have to devote more of its mass to generators, and they won't be as efficient.

For larger ships, 1000 power gen blocks in a single generator should generate 1m+ e/s (I'm calculating 1,008,486.01 e/s with EE's config). Of course, it would be pretty huge dimensionally to accomplish that (334x334x334) - and for a stealth ship almost all of that space would be empty. The generator would look like a 3D +.
On a smaller but still large scale, four 400-block generators (1200 total blocks), also optimally shaped (Arranged in a 102x102x102* cube with pieces missing in the corners to separate each generator), while less efficient in regen-per-block, would also generate 1m+ e/s. (1,005,445.28 with EE's config)

Getting holes in your generators from weapons fire because lag disabled your stealth remains a good way to lose cloak or jamming. (I had cap 10x more than my regen and still lost radar jamming 1km from a pirate station during the recent lagstorms)

* unless I'm failing at visualization
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Seems to be loading OK for me.

Edit: are you trying the server in the OP? Because that's long gone. check a few pages back for the one we're playing on now

Ah, that would explain it.

EDIT: is the ElwynEternity server the one you are currently using?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:37:52 pm by squidgen »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, that's the one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

When I logged out I respawned 10000 m away from my ship. Shoulda bought extra cores

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

You should always carry some ship cores, jump drives, and power reactors (and maybe thrusters too but that's less important). I learned that the hard way too.

If you're just in your space suit in the middle of nowhere with no ship cores you should probably just suicide, because the spacesuit is slowwwwwww.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I don't always keep jump drives on me, but cores, power reactors and thrusters are mandatory for reasons like this.

The very first time I played, I got my ass kicked twice by pirates, losing the only two cores I had, and got trapped on an asteroid in the middle of nowhere. I eventually just had to start a new game.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

The weapons used to determine range, fire rate and maybe another bonus from their shape.

A 1mil e/sec ship can be made with around 4k power rechargers leaving 2k blocks for other systems I think. Smaller ships can support less since you can't use long lines of rechargers for the best bonus.

You're definitely right that a small ship will have a bigger problem since it'll have to devote more of its mass to generators, and they won't be as efficient.

For larger ships, 1000 power gen blocks in a single generator should generate 1m+ e/s (I'm calculating 1,008,486.01 e/s with EE's config). Of course, it would be pretty huge dimensionally to accomplish that (334x334x334) - and for a stealth ship almost all of that space would be empty. The generator would look like a 3D +.
On a smaller but still large scale, four 400-block generators (1200 total blocks), also optimally shaped (Arranged in a 102x102x102* cube with pieces missing in the corners to separate each generator), while less efficient in regen-per-block, would also generate 1m+ e/s. (1,005,445.28 with EE's config)

Getting holes in your generators from weapons fire because lag disabled your stealth remains a good way to lose cloak or jamming. (I had cap 10x more than my regen and still lost radar jamming 1km from a pirate station during the recent lagstorms)

* unless I'm failing at visualization
If you're just trying to defeat a pirate station, assuming things haven't change for the worse for power regeneration and cloaking requirement since October to November 2013 (has it really been that long?), I managed to build a perma-cloaked/perma-jammed stealth able to fit between the rings of a pirate station where the turrets couldn't hit me, and from there I built another small ship that was mostly just guns and power to just break through the station's shield and destroy its faction module.

Later, I modified the stealth ship to be able to carry the gun ship on its back, and from there started work on a carrier ship to be able to bring the assembly to just outside the range of a station's turrets for proper deployment. It was an interesting concept, and I was able to make hangar to fit the cloak and gun and put in enough power and engines to get it moving and the beginnings of the interior (which included two escape pods) before circumstances (probably time irl) caused me to cease working on it.

If anyone wants to try reviving the concept, feel free. I was able to squeeze the whole thing into an 11x9x13 cube (or about 11x15x13 with the gun ship docked), but someone with a better understanding of how power works might be able to make it smaller, and maybe even add in guns without needing another ship to be docked (I'm not sure if that even works the same anymore). Plus, the carrier ship concept would probably work even better with the new jump drive system. And if anyone wants any of my old ship files, I'll be more than happy to upload blueprints, which you are free to use and distribute as you like. This equally applies to all the ships I've made that weren't based off of other people's blueprints, of which there are probably only about a half dozen at best not counting the cloak ship and such.

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, any good design for small anti missile turrets? the smallest I could get with the new rotation mechanism is huuuuuuuge - I'm especially bothered by the height they require to rotate upward

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been intending to do some experimenting in that area, but there's a distinct lack of missiles to test on unless I go fly to a pirate station, in which case my shields may not be sufficient (They're still fairly weak, but then they only gain capacity slightly less than linearly now, so...).

I haven't joined the faction yet, though, so we might be able to do some testing ourselves at some point.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Works for me. I?m all for testing. also, if you want to set up some trading, we can figure out something.

I set up with my bros at an irrelevant sector and we're strip mining stuff. we consume a planet a day and we can produce plenty of thruster and jump drives and other shit like that, also we have plentiful cannons and hulls, but we'd need shield. 

next time I'm in game I'll check who's there and if we can trade shit for giggles.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm getting an EOFException when I try to log in now, even though the server list claims the server is up (and that there are 19 people on).

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 181