Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324980 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)
« Reply #2640 on: December 18, 2016, 02:22:07 pm »

star made npc update is here boi boi what do I do what do I do!
It's cool to see how Starmade has gone from just Minecraft with spaceships to Minecraft mixed with Dwarf Fortress (at least the economy simulation part) and Civ with spaceships!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 18, 2016, 03:18:50 pm »

This new update is indeed fun. You can now be a literal pirate, raid trading fleets en route and steal their cargo.

Still working on my own ships and stations. I get distracted easily.

However, as for dorf space; I think the megalithic idea is interesting, more so than animal mimicry (dwarves don't respect animals or nature quite that much)

Still, if this is assuming the dwarven culture in spess, think about how players usually build forts. Often one big mass surrounding important things, a single entrance, little or no public space. All work and no play
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 18, 2016, 06:01:10 pm »

Still, if this is assuming the dwarven culture in spess, think about how players usually build forts. Often one big mass surrounding important things, a single entrance, little or no public space. All work and no play

You know, it might be good if someone makes a very basic core with what would amount to the basic functions of a real world spacecraft, then everyone builds off it as they wish, keeping it mostly intact.  Pretty much have it serve as the wagon equivalent of the space age.  Capture the spirit of 'every fort starts with this same thing, but all go in wildly different directions.'
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2016, 08:03:56 pm »

got server up with the latest [0.199.351#20161218_184613]. ip is 198.12.81.39:4242 - good performance so far - pm me your star made user name it's whitelisted.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:53:40 am by LoSboccacc »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 19, 2016, 01:44:01 am »

got server up with the latest. ip is 198.12.81.39:4242 - good performance so far - pm me your star made user name it's whitelisted.

Sent. Lets see what this new update is about. Hell, I'm going to have to relearn everything since I haven't played in ages and never got really far.  Is there a way to attach your ship to an enemy ship without using docking blocks/ports? I'm wondering if it's possible to make a small craft that launches a warhead to punch a hole through a ship's armor and then just attaches itself to it while you board so you don't end up leaving your ship floating behind in the middle of nowhere, never to be found again.

I have no experience making effective ships in this game so it should be a !!FUN!! experience.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:04:01 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:55 am »

checking at the game files there are only three faction templates. scavenger, outcasts and the trading guild - I don't know if they get reused multiple times to populate the galaxy and I don't know if a faction can 'spawn' after being added on an existing world

edit:
from the news

>  this update doesn’t require a universe reset and instead adds the NPC factions to all your existing universes without touching player created content.

ok that's good

> This means that there is now an actual economy in the game. However, the old stick shops are still there for now. They will change into trade node access hubs when we release the update that requires a universe reset.

oh crap, I thought that part about resetting was gone now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:25:39 am by LoSboccacc »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 19, 2016, 06:17:32 am »

I'm not sure how to tell where the factions are, the map look the same whether or not I check the "faction territory" box on the map.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 19, 2016, 06:21:53 am »

it seems they spawn as you go

> edit

watching server logs is almost as entertaining as reading Follet books. Omg beware the pirates spawned on you! run! run little Throwaway mining craft!

################# SERVER NO MORE WAITING FOR PLAYER WARP (ACC RECEIVED)

yes! good job there!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:34:10 am by LoSboccacc »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 19, 2016, 06:40:18 am »

Yeah I was mining in a ship I took 2 hours or so making, not so throwaway in the end but I'm not sure how to rename it. Pirate showed up as I was about to return to the shop and turned the shieldless ship into swiss cheese. At least I got way more credits out of the ore I sold than it will cost me to repair this. Too bad I have to go over the whole thing manually replacing every block :/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:45 am »

Yeah I was mining in a ship I took 2 hours or so making, not so throwaway in the end but I'm not sure how to rename it. Pirate showed up as I was about to return to the shop and turned the shieldless ship into swiss cheese. At least I got way more credits out of the ore I sold than it will cost me to repair this. Too bad I have to go over the whole thing manually replacing every block :/

you can reboot at shops iirc, missing blocks need to be replaced tho

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 19, 2016, 07:52:10 am »

Well, I'm done repairing and upgrading it with some shields and a jump drive. I also created a faction so I could rename the ship with the faction block. Now I'm wondering what I should do next. Find a quiet spot and create a faction home? Is it better for it to be a station or a planet? The shop I started next to ran out of jump drives(only had 7) and the system has a bunch of "undiscovered stations" could some of those be shops? I'm guessing things won't end well if I just go see in a mining craft.

Any specific rules I should be aware of for the server?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:55:42 am by Ygdrad »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 19, 2016, 08:15:13 am »

Any specific rules I should be aware of for the server?

don't be an ass is the only rule I usually go by :)

that covers pretty much everything from creating monstrously laggy ship to abusing the rail system causing physics stutters for everyone else.

I'd say don't attack people that aren't in a faction or aren't in a faction you're at war with and that'd be it, we're all in for a jolly good time.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 19, 2016, 08:34:21 am »

Something funky happened. I was flying at about 500m/s towards a waypoint a few systems away and decided to install some of the jump drive modules I bought in a store on the way. After placing the modules and exiting build mode my ship was suddenly going at untold thousands of m/s on a totally different trajectory, zooming through systems until I hit a wormhole, got some popup about time and space followed by what must've been getting teleported. I managed to eventually slow down after that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:46:02 am by Ygdrad »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 19, 2016, 09:16:36 am »

Something funky happened. I was flying at about 500m/s towards a waypoint a few systems away and decided to install some of the jump drive modules I bought in a store on the way. After placing the modules and exiting build mode my ship was suddenly going at untold thousands of m/s on a totally different trajectory, zooming through systems until I hit a wormhole, got some popup about time and space followed by what must've been getting teleported. I managed to eventually slow down after that.

ouch. are you lost in space?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 19, 2016, 09:56:59 am »

Nah, I managed to get where I wanted to go after a bunch of slow jumps. I've started building a station with a shipyard and am currently trying to figure out the docking and turret systems.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 181