Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517689 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2985 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »

Genuine less-snide question: Would you look at people who 100% jRPG's the same way?

And I know you guys weren't talking about me, I'm just being a shit. No actual flame intended.

If you don't want to enjoy videogames, you simply need to stop playing them. You should come play forum games with us, instead, because videogames are dumb.

I've considered it, tried to run a TSG once. It failed because I'm bad at forum games.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:55 pm »

It's difficult to describe what it is I mean. Buying games (any genre) just to get the achievements is bad juju, since I think it defeats the purpose of playing games: for enjoyment.

I mean I've bought games just for the achievements (WatchDogs and Shadow Of Arkham Mordor, specifically) and I was just left feeling really dirty and stupid afterward, but that could've just been 'cause those games aren't particularly good, and I bought them when they came out, so expensive.

I hate feeling like I've wasted my money on a game, which could be why I prefer strategy games and RPGs.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: February 09, 2016, 11:55:59 pm »

These last few posts are the first time I've ever even considered the possibility of buying games just for achievements. Is that a thing that happens often, in general? A lot of the games that I own don't even have achievements on Steam.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:05 pm »

I think I'm just being an elitist snob.

"buying games just to get a little sticker that says you beat it!? Back in my day you had to leave the machine on to prove to your friends you beat it!"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: February 10, 2016, 12:04:32 am »

This game has serious concequences, except it doesn't!

I am getting tired of games pushing that every choice has a consequences to try to fill your head with ideas. Yet in the end it really doesn't matter ESPECIALLY for the ending ESPECIALLY when it counts.

Life if Strange is a HUGE one. A lot of faux choices disguised as important ones.

Now I am not going to criticize "Until Dawn" because that is more a flawed concept then a deceptive one.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: February 10, 2016, 05:55:07 am »

Genuine less-snide question: Would you look at people who 100% jRPG's the same way?

And I know you guys weren't talking about me, I'm just being a shit. No actual flame intended.

If you don't want to enjoy videogames, you simply need to stop playing them. You should come play forum games with us, instead, because videogames are dumb.

I've considered it, tried to run a TSG once. It failed because I'm bad at forum games.
But you should PLAY games.  You don't need to RUN them.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: February 10, 2016, 07:22:33 am »

These last few posts are the first time I've ever even considered the possibility of buying games just for achievements. Is that a thing that happens often, in general? A lot of the games that I own don't even have achievements on Steam.

More common then it should be on a reasonable world.
I know several guys whose entire games collection on PS3/XBOX consisted of games that are "easy platinums" (or whatever the XBOX live equalivent is called), so they could show off how much plat they've "earned". That they "earned" by reading a guide about a game that has 7 trophies.

I also know one guy who only buys games on Steam if they are easy to get 100% on, because he doesn't want his oh-so-great achievement showcase to drop under 90%. He even wrote a very angry email to Valve once because he bought a game, finished it and a few months later he received the upgraded re-release for free (which had some new and rather hard achivements, so it damaged his precious stats).
Yes, you read that right. He threw a major fit because Valve gave him a present.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:41 pm »

I think I've only 100%ed all the achievements for one game, Skyrim on the 360 (PC version was unplayable at the time; I borrowed the console version), and of course it's not 100% anymore because Bethesda released DLC and added new achievements for it. So...

I could be wrong about that being the only one. I usually don't care about collecting all the achievements.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: February 10, 2016, 03:59:07 pm »

NV is so far the only game I've 100%'d on. I couldn't last in Skyrim because it gets so bland with the zero weapon variance, broken useless mechanics, and some parts of the plot being asinine (Ulfric is a moron. I sided with the Stormcloaks once and can't make myself do it again).

I was also never able to strike a good balance with XP mods to make the game progression feel right to me. Shame, I really did like it for the first few playthroughs...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: February 10, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »

(Ulfric is a moron. I sided with the Stormcloaks once and can't make myself do it again).
That reminds me of this sorta related screenshot I took. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542155053 I mean do you need more proof of Ulfric's complete incompetence?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: February 14, 2016, 07:58:20 am »

Awesome, deep and rich features/mechanics that ultimately contributes to NOTHING.

Example ? Galactic Civilizations 3 ship designer... Tactical combat in this game is a simple coin toss/random number god act, so why the hell would i bother with making my own ships ? And on top of that - i get flooded with example designs everytime i upgrade my techs so why bother ?? If that game would feature fully interactive tactical combat with 3d movement, positioning, weapon fire arcs etc then fuck me i would spend more time in the ship designer than in the actual game.

Abstractions and lack of micromanagment in strategy games.

Gal Civ 3 again but MoO 2 also comes to mind ( and couple others ) - ships that can see everything in the entire Solar systems ( MoO2), refinery taking the same amount of resources as the single small ship ( Gal Civ 3), auto ammo replenishment ( Star Ruler 2) etc etc etc ..

Suffice to say - Distant Worlds and Aurora 4x are the only space 4x i play.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: February 14, 2016, 08:45:13 am »

PROCEDURAL GENERATION A MILLION BILLION ZILLION QUINTILLION GOOGOLIION UNIQUE DISTINCT NEVER SEEN BEFORE WORLDS

games advertising procedural generation and an insane amount of "unique" worlds, and everybody buying into it despite the fact that all the worlds almost always end up feeling incredibly samey. Starbound is a good example of this, No Man's Sky will probably be the same and people will be disappointed.

df has this too but it's not so bad in df because it's more or less designed for players to tell their own stories, and a fort ends up making its own stories that give the player a starting point to explore the stories of the world. (i think?)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: February 14, 2016, 11:02:16 am »

PROCEDURAL GENERATION A MILLION BILLION ZILLION QUINTILLION GOOGOLIION UNIQUE DISTINCT NEVER SEEN BEFORE WORLDS

games advertising procedural generation and an insane amount of "unique" worlds, and everybody buying into it despite the fact that all the worlds almost always end up feeling incredibly samey. Starbound is a good example of this, No Man's Sky will probably be the same and people will be disappointed.

df has this too but it's not so bad in df because it's more or less designed for players to tell their own stories, and a fort ends up making its own stories that give the player a starting point to explore the stories of the world. (i think?)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: February 14, 2016, 03:59:27 pm »

Slow motion but fast moving

A simple one. Anytime a game animates a creature/vehicle/person as moving slowly... but in reality they are speeding across the battlefield by moving multiple squares.

It is tedious to watch AND hurts my logic centers.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »

Overall damage that has no effect until death
In many games, even if you only have 1/100 HP you can still function perfectly normally unless that 1 HP is lost, killing you. Why? If a soldier has been shot all to hell, why hasn't his accuracy or speed decreased? nuCOM somewhat suffered from this (soldiers were more likely to panic, but their stats never decreased unless you enabled a second wave option called "red fog", but in order to do that you need to first beat the game, if I remember correctly which is another peeve. In first person shooters, generally the most debilitating issue you face from low health is a faded/bloody screen. That's really immersion-breaking for me. If I'm taking a hailstorm of bullets, I very much doubt I can still accurately fire my rifle.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 324