Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517617 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2955 on: February 08, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »

Yeah, that definitely is a peeve of mine too, especially if the only way to get what you need to beat that boss is to restart from the beginning of the game and build your characters differently.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:55 pm »

Very much so.  I usually experience that peeve in character creation and leveling up.  I worry that I *might* be unable to beat a boss or challenge later, because I have no idea which skills are required and which ones are useless traps.

It's a little bit thrilling to master a system like that, but it's also incredibly frustrating.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves; names breaking immersion rant
« Reply #2957 on: February 09, 2016, 03:39:59 am »

Aside from the [previously covered in this thread] other obvious things everyone dislikes, such as;
stuff that does't make sense (bugs, enemies that level with you, cut-scenes, bad hitboxes, invisible walls etc), bad controls,
games made just good enough you won't know it is not till you've spent the money and put hours into it... etc,
TLDR: here's my 2 cents rant on immersion breaking names.

Enemies that can only be defeated through cheese or optimized strategies... in an RPG.[/b]  Okay devs, when I play an RPG it is to be immersed in the role I am playing, not to ram my head against enemies built in such a way that you have to abuse game mechanics or use one singular "best" strategy to beat... snip...  What I should not be doing is searching online to find out how to actually bring an enemy down, and find an entire community of players who have the same issue I do with a given enemy.  This is bad design, the meta should never overtake the gameplay.
Yes.
Immersion breaking; it is all over the place.
In multiplayer games, people naming themselves without regard for immersion is rampant,
and is the pet peeve which is a bigger deal to me than you might think.
I wish more devs would make a name filter of some kind, and/or some other way(s) to avoid this form of immersion-rape.

Example of a naming policy in the spirit of anti-immersion-breaking... for the most part, is in spoiler below.
Minor changes made by me for emphasis on the immersion-related bits; see original text at the quote link.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: February 09, 2016, 06:32:48 am »

Low-framerate scummable games
Ahh, the joy of doing timing-heavy things in slow motion when there is no slowmotion there... putting the fps into very manageable levels (such as half fps). This is more of a balancing concern than a pet peeve, through... unless you put multiplayer in it, in which case, noobs.

I had the opposite problem in Saints Row 4: My laptop could handle it in a low-but-manageable framerate at a low-but-acceptable resolution. However, one sequence had you fly a space ship trough a corridor with moving walls and gates, and the timing of some of the obstacles depended on the framerate, in such a way that below 20 fps, a gate would close a few frames too early. This made the whole segment impossible and I spent hours thinking I was just terrible at it, before looking up a guide. At very low resolution and 25 fps, the level was suddenly easy.
Not sure if this is a pet peeve though, as I haven't had similar problems in any other games.

So here's another one, last instance of that would be GTAV:
Vehicles that autotrigger side missions when entered
I would like to fly that plane without having to deliver packages. As it is now, you have to enter the plane and complete a mission before you actually get to play with it. If you end or fail the mission, you get back to the hangar and can't enter again without restarting that same mission. Something similar to the taxi/ambulance thing where you get in and may choose to start a mission would be much better.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:01 am »

Can't remember if I already posted this here, but...

Multiplayer-only achievements / trophies

Those are the reason why many times you just don't care about those things. If I buy a game like, say, Assassin's creed: Revelations a few years after release (it was a while ago, something like late 2014, but still, the game was already old) you can't get all the trophies, because you need to play the multiplayer. And either you don't find anybody, or the only 3 people playing it already know everything about it and are so much better than you, so you can't really play and learn anything because you just die constantly.

Whenever you see something like this, the only answer is "don't even care about trophies, you won't complete those anyway".
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: February 09, 2016, 10:13:42 am »

I only find achievements fun if I didn't expect there to be an achievement. Like "Hey, you did something neat, here's a little doodad for you!"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: February 09, 2016, 10:18:40 am »

Well trophies in and of themselves are a bit pointless.

They're essentially "you played the game! well done!" though there are some that are slightly ridiculous "you did something you never would have done if there wasn't a trophy for it! well done!"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: February 09, 2016, 11:00:05 am »

When well thought-out, trophies can be an incentive to play in a different way then usual, or an extra challenge. Unfortunately, they're usually of the "Congratulations for playing normally!" kind, which is pretty pointless indeed.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:53 am »

They often seem to just add grinding and boredom into otherwise fine games. I'd hate them if it wasn't so easy to just ignore their existence. Just looking at Shadow of Mordor, you get achievements for doing all rescue missions (the ones that get old halfway through or earlier), same for survival missions (except those got old in ten minutes). Even something as cool as "execute a burning berserker" fails to attract since I've already burned and executed and executed burning orcs a ton. There's nothing inherently special about executing a burning a berserker specifically, and I'm not going to grind one to tick an imaginary box.

Achievements are right up there with Busywork Simulator 201X. Clearly there's a market for them, even if I completely fail to see the attraction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:25 am »

They often seem to just add grinding and boredom into otherwise fine games. I'd hate them if it wasn't so easy to just ignore their existence. Just looking at Shadow of Mordor, you get achievements for doing all rescue missions (the ones that get old halfway through or earlier), same for survival missions (except those got old in ten minutes). Even something as cool as "execute a burning berserker" fails to attract since I've already burned and executed and executed burning orcs a ton. There's nothing inherently special about executing a burning a berserker specifically, and I'm not going to grind one to tick an imaginary box.

Achievements are right up there with Busywork Simulator 201X. Clearly there's a market for them, even if I completely fail to see the attraction.

The only achievement from Shadow of Mordor that was kinda different was saving... 10? I can't remember the specific number. Anyway, saving however many hostages it was while on riding one of the cat things, in 90 seconds. There was literally no reason for you to even try to do that unless you were going for the platinum trophy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:51 am »

I think in Deus Ex: Human Revolution there's an achievement for getting the ball in the basket in Detroit, which is actually referencing an easter egg from the first Deus Ex game. That's the kind of achievement I'm into. I've already got tons of achievements in WH40K Space Marine for just completing chapters and killing enemies, which is rather annoying because that's just playing the game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:51 am »

I'm trying to think of good achievements.  I actually use the Achievement Showcase in Steam, but mainly to show off difficult optional-challenge achievements.  And as a way to show off games I really liked.

So yeah, progression achievements seem like pointless spam (except for "finish the main game")
Optional-challenge achievements, I like.  It's a log of my achievement.
Clever achievements are a treat, and hard to do right.  Like... In Cave Story, you get ambushed by a cute little Mimiga at one point.  She runs back and forth with her eyes closed, and only takes one hit before calming down...  But she actually can hurt you, and eventually kill you.  There's an achievement for that, and I think it's funny.

I like achievements when they serve as reminders for fond gaming memories, or neat surprises (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: February 09, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

Yeah, "Completed level 2 / 3 / 4!" Achievements bother me too. It's fine to give those for important/memorable moments of the story, but in this case it seems pointless...

Also, "You started the game!" Achievements only work if they are intended as a joke (and even then, not really, it's kind of getting old...)

Those two cases ruin the concept of achievements and trophies. You should be at least a little happy to get those, as a "reward" for your ability. Yeah, it's all just for bragging rights, but those are not even good at that!
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: February 09, 2016, 02:04:36 pm »

I like the EUIV/CKII achievements because they usually give me an end or mid-game goal for the nation/dynasty I'm playing as.

Progression achievements are interesting because you can use them to see how far people actually get in games by looking at the global achievements stats for the game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: February 09, 2016, 02:13:51 pm »

Progression achievements are interesting because you can use them to see how far people actually get in games by looking at the global achievements stats for the game.

This ^
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 324