Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51311 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »

Only in China's ridiculously large ground people's army, where quantity is the assurance of quality

Well we aren't talking about Women in the Military we are specifically talking about "Women in the United States Military"

Since in my country for example... this conversation is ridiculous. We don't even have different exercise amount requirements for our fitness test, we just put weights at different ends. As well any recruit is one we need.

So this conversation is about what the United States is requiring for their soldiers.

A single incompetent person can get the entire group killed

You added incompetent to it, I never said the less good soldiers were incompetent.

As well why are you putting someone who can't do stealth into a stealth group? Put them into the vanguard and have the stealth group flank them.

Remember the good soldiers and less good soldiers both have 100% skill.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »

I know that 4 good and 4 Not as good soldiers easily beats 4 good soldiers.
Why not lower the standards, then? to get those 8 soldiers

Why less physically fit male soldier than current male norms should be discriminated comparing to women that can't reach male norms either?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »

Must be discrimination then.

>_>
<_<

Look, we went over the first mathematician (Thales!  Cool dude), and we went over a whole bunch of really unimportant people who basically did nothing but sit on some committee or whatever, or who were straight-up physicists and not really mathematicians at all.  In that environment, it would have made a lot of sense to discuss Hypatia's contributions to geometry.  I'm not saying that that in and of itself was sexist, but rather that if we're going to have a simple brief mention of Noethur and nothing else at all in some four and a half years, that's a bit unbelievable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:24 pm »

I know that 4 good and 4 Not as good soldiers easily beats 4 good soldiers.
Why not lower the standards, then? to get those 8 soldiers

Why less physically fit male soldier than current male norms should be discriminated comparing to women that can't reach male norms either?

Because the test is to make sure you have healthy and fit males.

No medical examination is going to do that to the extent they want to see.

Males who fail the fitness test are unfit or have other physical limitations beyond that of other males. Females who are fit can still fail the test.

The point was not to discriminate against fitness :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »

Excuse me, are you saying that I'm whining?
Just a tad, yeah. You are making a good argument, though, so I don't really care.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this.

It's only whining if what I'm talking about isn't real.  I'm not exactly sure why you think I'd make up something like this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »

Given the context Loud Whispers? You're going with that as your armor-piercing question?
Aye
Why haven't girl scouts been put on the front lines yet? Cookie boxes are str 10 AP 1 pie templates. Wins every time.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2013, 04:26:38 pm »

Given the context Loud Whispers? You're going with that as your armor-piercing question?
Aye
Why haven't girl scouts been put on the front lines yet? Cookie boxes are str 10 AP 1 pie templates. Wins every time.

Oh well, that i can't get behind. Everyone knows UNLIMITED badges is the way to victory.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:29:06 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2013, 04:28:00 pm »

Do we mention the founder of computer science in computer science classes, Ada Lovelace? 

Not to detract from the rest of your commentary but in my computer science curriculum, Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage did get pretty similar amounts of discussion time... less than an 20 minutes each.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »

Ooh, I'm happy for you, then.  Like, legitimately and non-sarcastically.

In mine, we covered Babbage but not Lovelace.  One of the TAs also posted a writeup on etiquette for forum usage, which included something about how one "should be sure not to come off like a girl unless one wants sex instead of answers."  A student cherrypicked the quote, laughed about it and talked about how awesome it was, and a second TA came in to say that the original author of the article really had a good understanding of hacker culture.

Oh, and I was the only woman in a 300-person lecture class to answer or ask questions, for about 2/3 of the semester.  Plenty of men felt free to do the same, but the women stayed silent.  Lots of 'em.  Just didn't seem to feel free to speak.  I wonder why.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2013, 04:34:57 pm »

So they choose not to speak.  I do hope I don't sound unsympathetic but they chose not to.  They have every opportunity to, and chose not to.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »

Oh well, that i can't get behind. Everyone knows UNLIMITED badges is the way to victory.
It's all about lumberjacks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She scoffs at your notion of lesser testing. Replace tree with MANPAD.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

So they choose not to speak.  I do hope I don't sound unsympathetic but they chose not to.  They have every opportunity to, and chose not to.

When someone creates a hostile environment, there are signs.  That's one of them.

Why would you speak if you know you're just going to get ignored, discredited, and publicly humiliated?  Or, if you get things wrong, contribute to the notion that your entire gender is incompetent?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:39:55 pm by Vector »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »

Why do/did you?

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »

Why would you speak if you know you're just going to get ignored, discredited, and publicly humiliated?
Why would you let it stop you, especially in a center of education [where if you are able to ask questions knowing the answer you really don't need to be there]?

Or, if you get things wrong, contribute to the notion that your entire gender is incompetent?
That's your own insecurities to deal with. Anyone who believes an entire gender is incompetent isn't going to [even need to] look for proof, it's an assumption based off assumptions.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »

Or perhaps all the women were that much smarter than the men and didn't need guidance. It's pretty easy to jump to conclusions.

Ps. If asking questions is seen as incompetence, there are some serious issues with your ('murica?) entire educational system.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24