Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51312 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »

This thread is circling the drain, and needs locking OP, before people start saying really stupid shit and end up muted or banned. A reasonable and fair consensus was reaced on the first few pages. Most of the rest of the posts (some of mine included) are pretty much redundant and repeating the same bad arguments over and over. So, yea, please take this out back and shoot it.

Given that I am trying to make sense of things with absolutely no information... this is going well

For example I don't know what the test is based off of, how well women generally do, what parts of the test they fail, how much work it takes for a female cadet to succeed, how much value there is to more soldiers.

The reason this thing is circling the drain is because you have no choice but to talk out of your butt.

So I am testing out every assumption possible.

For example what determines the 40kg a soldier must carry? What is that 40kg based off of?

you don't know what the hell you are talking about so it makes sense to you

Psh, no. But conversations are the best time to test out assumptions and see if someone out there knows more then you.

However given that you have presented absolutely no information yourself quote marine I have to ignore you.

The fact of the matter is that I've read everything people have put and I still don't know a single thing about what this conversation is about.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:08:19 pm by Neonivek »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2013, 04:05:36 pm »

If you genuinely believe that diversity of input is more important than quality and integrity of output, all I can say is I disagree, but some earlier statements make more sense in context of that perspective.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »

Shaping up and keeping on topic:
Really, if you think that requiring women to pass the same test as men is wrong, then you know next to nothing about warfare.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2013, 04:08:29 pm »

Okay, then.  We don't learn about any particular mathematician's life, because that's considered unimportant (with the exception of my history of math class, where we learned a little about some 40 mathematicians, none of whom were female, some of whom were Arab, Egyptian, Chinese, whatever).  I'm talking about learning their contributions, or, you know, that they existed at all.

What about Muhommad al-Khawrmzi (probably spelled that wrong), who discovered much about quadratics and gave algebra its name?

Gauss, Newton, Thales, L'hopital, Lagrange, Jordan, Riemann, Euclid, Euler, Leibniz, Descartes, Stieltjes, Sylow, Poincare, Kuratowski, Godel, Erdos, Cauchy, Liouville, Stone, Weierstrass, Abel, Dedekind, Kronecker, Galois, Artin, Pythagoras, Archimedes, Diophantus, Fibonacci, Fermat, Dirichlet, Hilbert, Turing, Stokes, Fourier, Lebesgue, Darboux, deRham, Sard, Klein, Ibn Al-Haytham, Al-Khwarizmi, Hookes, and I'm just getting started.

If you genuinely believe that diversity of input is more important than quality and integrity of output, all I can say is I disagree, but some earlier statements make more sense in context of that perspective.

I genuinely believe that diversity of input improves diversity of output, which is invaluable.

There's really no way around teaching Maxwell's equations.
Let's whine about not learning every detail about him!

Excuse me, are you saying that I'm whining?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

Really, if you think that requiring women to pass the same test as men is wrong, then you know next to nothing about warfare.

I know that 4 good and 4 Not as good soldiers easily beats 4 good soldiers.

Them military is certainly not in the position where it has as many soldiers as it needs.

Mind you where I live that may be why women integration in the army has been going smoother. We are desperate for soldiers to the extent where we will even pay for schooling.

Now if you are worried that the 4 not as good soldiers are going to be in the way, then make them a specific platoon and use them in situations where their detriment does not get in the way.

I just beat your army. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:11:16 pm by Neonivek »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »

Excuse me, are you saying that I'm whining?
Just a tad, yeah. You are making a good argument, though, so I don't really care.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »

From a cost standpoint I'd have to take the former.  And if I assume we are talking about the American military than cost is always a hot button.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »

And as someone who spent a long time in a university physics department as an undergraduate and postgraduate, I have to say that what Vector is saying sounds about normal to me. We had substantial numbers of women as both students and professors but they were still dumped on and treated substantially differently (to their detriment) than the men.

All it takes is a sprinkle of subconscious misogyny to put the blinds on to this, though. Example, this topic.

I think this needs to be closed. We're in dangerous territory.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »

From a cost standpoint I'd have to take the former.  And if I assume we are talking about the American military than cost is always a hot button.

A soldier costs about 100,000 thousand dollars to field.

For a soldier who is 100% as skilled but only 72% Athletic, I think I've used the cost.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:43 pm »

Be civil, and don't instantly dismiss others points, or kill the thread.

tahujdt, I don't want any more of this.
Lets argue about how life is discriminating against men because women live longer on average. We must tell life that he must treat everyone equally!

Don't make me regret that compliment, but I'm having less hope.

Also! I'm going to suggest that sarcasm notes are used from now on. Also! Vector was talking about a distinct lack of opportunity, in comparison to others. It would be better to have a even keel, yes? Keep going on about it and i will have this thread locked.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2013, 04:13:03 pm »

Okay, then.  We don't learn about any particular mathematician's life, because that's considered unimportant (with the exception of my history of math class, where we learned a little about some 40 mathematicians, none of whom were female
Must be discrimination then.

>_>
<_<

Only in China's ridiculously large ground people's army, where quantity is the assurance of quality.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The argument is settled. Raise standards for girl scouts.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »

Sometimes, diversity is important to quality and integrity of output.

In certain areas there is an inherent value to having a diverse population for various reasons. When you are talking about police then you need people who will be trusted in otherwise distrustful and insular communities, which usually means members of that community. When talking about colleges it's well founded (just first two links I grabbed, going deeper will put me way behind in the reply flood right now) that minority students perform better (and frankly apply more often) when there are already a critical mass of people 'like them', and that everyone performs better when there is a diverse community surrounding them.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »

Okay, then.  We don't learn about any particular mathematician's life, because that's considered unimportant (with the exception of my history of math class, where we learned a little about some 40 mathematicians, none of whom were female

>_>
<_<

Only in China's ridiculously large ground people's army, where quantity is the assurance of quality.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The argument is settled. Raise standards for girl scouts.

Given the context Loud Whispers? You're going with that as your armor-piercing question?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:18:19 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »

Them military is certainly not in the position where it has as many soldiers as it needs.

Mind you where I live that may be why women integration in the army has been going smoother. We are desperate for soldiers to the extent where we will even pay for schooling.
1) Actually nope. Stealth plays a large part in tactics. A single incompetent person can get the entire group killed. This isn't the 1800, when everyone stood in a line and shot the enemy at 30 meters distance.

The US military certainly is. They focus on high tech warfare, not zergling solutions. IIRC, the US military budget is 40% of the military budgets of all countries in the world.

Anyway, why do we even need humans in armies. Automated drones are much easier.

edit: ninja'd *6

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:06 pm »

>_>
<_<
It is probably due to historical discrimination.  But there's not much we can do now about the fact that most important theories with names attached to them have male names attached to them.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24