Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Frigate Commander  (Read 5564 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frigate Commander
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 05:33:25 am »

I like the idea of drilling them, but agree that we could go to far. We literally just walked out of the academy, so let's not try to go too far. I want to meet with some of the ranking NCO's to get a feel for the crew, before introducing a slightly above standard drill procedure.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:55 am »

I like the idea of drilling them, but agree that we could go to far. We literally just walked out of the academy, so let's not try to go too far. I want to meet with some of the ranking NCO's to get a feel for the crew, before introducing a slightly above standard drill procedure.
Obviously. The only reason we could introduce hard drilling early would be because nobody in the whole crew is more experienced than us (which is very possible). Or that the (rare) veterans agree with us.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:52 am »

Alternatively we start REALLY HARD for a short period, then when the crew inevitably protest we soften up to the level we originally planed. The idea is that humans are way more likely to accept the unnacceptable if it is proposed as an alternative to something even worse.

Beware the old boy who cried wolf scenario.
you forgot the "this is not an exercice" part. Plus, it is their duty to never get lazy and slack off on the pretext "it's only an exercice"...
I also forgot that the boy who cried wolf didn't get to be old.
 I would rather not terrorise the crew, but it worked for the victorians, so it may as well work for us too. And if everything they do is automatic then they will be less likely to think about orders to blow up defenceless merchantmen and such. But I have concerns about fatigue, the term "unacceptable" shouldn't be used lightly, if we really mean that then the best-case scenario will probably be that our crew are permanently on auto-pilot.
 Whether or not it is an exercise will be dependant upon the discipline of the crew, and it could take us a long time to get them there. If we drill them too hard they will likely look for easier ways of doing things which could come back and bite them once they are in the habit of doing things when they don't really matter. If we do decide to go victorian, expect to have to perform some extreme reprimanding or a regular basis...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:36 am »

Which is why I'm against that. We can be a bit of a hardass WITHOUT going full-on Victorian
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:33 am »

It's enough to go Nelsonian.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »

You get comfortable in your chair, and order a hyperspace route to the destination of your mission; a small system, with no habitable planets, or otherwise noteworthy planets. It has no stations, too. The system itself is only used for trade routes, which attracts a small amount of pirates every now and again.
During the transit, you familiarize yourself with some of the NCOs. The most notable ones at the moment are your Weapons Officer, Training Officer, and the Engineering Officer. They're all fairly dedicated, and were successful in their respective classes. The Weapons Officer finished his training 2nd in class, the Training Officer fairly high, and the Engineering Officer 3rd. They're all agreeable with a stricter drilling regime, and appear to actively encourage the occasional drill alert.
You also consider creating a new ship motto, like "Only Death Ends Duty", but you'll have to put some more thought on that.
---
You arrive at the site. Sensors indicate the merchant ship you were sent to investigate, floating in space with it's engines offline and some hits on its hull. Sensors also indicate life signs on board. You can always query the sensors operator for more information if needed.
However, sensors detect one more ship, a small battle corvette, of an empire design, but doesn't appear to be registered. Life Sensors also indicate life signs on board.
It appears that the corvette has detected you and is now moving towards you, with weapons charging. They seem fairly suicidal to take on a frigate, though. It would appear the cause of this is that they're a fairly aggressive variant of pirates, and diplomacy would be a bad idea. You better start moving now if you want to take it with minimal damage. What do you do?

Spoiler: Battle Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Soldiers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Syllarn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tallarn Syrt, Captain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:36:38 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »

Charge weapons, hammer the ship with so much active targeting we boil the paint off the outside, issue a warning, and if they continue, blow the ship into its constituent atoms. demolish their engines, sensors, and/or fire-control.

Give no mercy, but don't confuse this for "no quarter."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:39:41 pm by Ross Vernal »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:57 pm »

Show these idiots the error of their ways. Try to knock out either engines and/or weapon controls with laser fire and send a squad or two of marines to board their asses(we could use a corvette for defense :P). Then send a salvo of marines to board the merchant ship(after pulling of a crew manifest of the ship in question to point out to the soldiers who NOT to shoot, of course!). I'm pretty sure the penalty of piracy is summary execution, and since these are particularly STUPID brand of pirates who are charging use weapons blazing, I don't think anyone would reproach us for not giving them a trial first >:D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:58 pm »

Show these idiots the error of their ways. Try to knock out either engines and/or weapon controls with laser fire and send a squad or two of marines to board their asses(we could use a corvette for defense :P). Then send a salvo of marines to board the merchant ship(after pulling of a crew manifest of the ship in question to point out to the soldiers who NOT to shoot, of course!). I'm pretty sure the penalty of piracy is summary execution, and since these are particularly STUPID brand of pirates who are charging use weapons blazing, I don't think anyone would reproach us for not giving them a trial first >:D

+1

With the stipulation that we also take anyone that actually surrenders, throw them in the brig and haul them back for a quick trial and public execution. Rehabilitation.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:17 pm »

Lets disable the pirate engines and weapons and board them I want to start clogging our halls with random alien tech as soon as possible.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:01 pm »

Try to manoeuvre behind some caver, drop off some boarders for an ambush, and then continue using the obstacle for cover to draw them closer.

Although I also support Ragnarok...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:18 pm »

I have a question; Do people feel that combat should be "fight! x won", "Fight by marines + lasers, x won" (or something like the basic strategy beforehand, and fighting), more of a tactical combat? ("lasers!" "you have hit X's systems for moderate damage!", etc.), or something else?
And quick IC:
---
You remember that you've taken combat training as well in the Academy, and could definitely come with one of your boarding parties to give it a huge bonus in combat effectiveness. You also note that when boarding, you need to choose a boarding method. Before issuing the order, you keep in mind that a dropship usually holds 3 squads (5-7 marines each), while a boarding pod holds 1 squad. You can launch a lot of boarding pods a 'turn', though.

Sensors and Optics have revealed that the Corvette has only one open hangar for a dropship to land in, while the Merchant Ship has a large amount of open hangars, some of them with dropships that seem to be from the corvette inside.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 11:26:07 pm »

I feel like it should be tactical.

ALRIGHTY.

Boarding is no right now, insofar as the corvette goes. Too much danger of them being shot out of the black if we aren't careful.

I'd recommend boarding the merchant vessel by dropping a few dropships behind us, deliberately runing dark so their emissions don't tip off passive sensors. Then we go about kicking the corvette's ass, aim for those weapon signatures that are charging up, then the engines. Try our best not to destroy it entirely. Then launch a salvo of drop-pods into the ship.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »

I suppose we may as well send some troops to help the merchantman.

Hrmm, leading the boarding action would prevent us from commanding the ship, cut us off from most of our command and communication facilities, and risk losing the highest-ranking member of the crew, all to support a battle against what should be a fairly poorly equipped and trained opponent. Let's do it! We can march around, ignoring enemy fire, and picking off pirates one by one with our pair of ornate pistols!

Hrmm, well, the more intricate system gives a chance to feel that your choices have some measure of quality, rather than just dictating the plot, as there are known values to consider and specific results of good or bad decisions. On the other hand, it means more bookkeeping, slower updates. Lets take a lesson from D.F. and have "The laser beam hits the armour at location 124x253 3 inches below the 448837593th rivet. ... ... Some dust is kicked up in the 4326th ventilation shaft which causes a .00000043% reduction in the heating systems for the 3rd crew quarters."
Read the First Post!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:39 pm »

The immediate priority is incapacitation of the threat, followed by securing of the merchant vessel and then the securing of the enemy vessel.

So let's hold off on deploying troops until
a) communication is attempted
b) the pirate is defeated

Why send our soldiers out to a sitting duck and expose them to un-needed risks?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7