Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Frigate Commander  (Read 5562 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Frigate Commander
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02:36 am »

I say we should first disable the corvette, then send troops to board the merchand ship.

-Ensure the corvette isn't on collision course
-Shields up, full power! concentrate on the front and portside.
-Issue a warning ("Imperial frigate Syllarn speaking, to unidentified corvette. Identify yourself, kill your relative velocity and drop your weapons, now. If you don't cooperate, you will be disabled.")
-Use laser fire to disable its engines and/or whatever system we can, until it stop moving and firing.
-Board massively
-Arrest survivor
-Deal with them as your instructions dictate (what is standard procedure? Arrest and cryogenisation? Cold blooded execution, following or not a trial?)
-Contact the merchand ship
-Board and rescue.

And yes to tactical combat. Not "The laser beam hits the armour at location 124x253 3 inches below the 448837593th rivet. ... ... Some dust is kicked up in the 4326th ventilation shaft which causes a .00000043% reduction in the heating systems for the 3rd crew quarters.", but "The laser beam hit the armour, it is ineffective" or "the life support systems are nowslightly damaged", something like that.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 12:24:12 am »

The ship immediately springs to life with yells of weapon statuses, shields, and other statistics about the ship.
The Syllarn's energy shields are deployed successfully, almost right after the enemy started charging.

Before firing, you state a warning to the Corvette, which is promptly ignored. What idiots to engage against a superior ship.

You quickly order a barrage of burst lasers to what appear to be the corvette's main weapons. The first barrage misses the weapons, hitting the hull of the ship, doing a fair bit of damage to the unarmored hull, but no hull breaches seem to be reported. The second barrage hits perfectly on target, heavily damaging the main weapons systems. They probably won't be able to fire for a while.

The ship quickly retaliates, it's smaller forward railguns fire at your ship's bridge. Most of the shots are stopped by the shield, but multiple shots bypass the shield and explode near the bridge, causing almost everyone in the bridge standing to collapse, as the bridge is shook from the explosions.

Your laser turrets position themselves for another barrage at the enemy engines. Their position is moderately aimed, not providing any benefits or consequences to their damage. They then fire at the enemy, the first barrage hitting precisely on target, rendering the enemy engines completely disabled for time being. The majority of the second barrage hits the enemy engines, damaging them even further.
The Spinal Beam will be ready soon; not that you need it. The bridge crew starts cheering for what appears to be their first successful battle.

The Corvette has been rendered almost completely disabled.

Spoiler: Battle Stats (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:11 am »

Take aim and fire a salvo of drop pods at the morons >:D

As well, have several drop shuttles depart and board the merchant ship
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:56 am »

Congratulate bridge crew for a job well done. Order calibration of lasers to point defense for future projectile-based attacks. Launch troops to both ships and prepare for towing, additional folk aboard, and/or whatever else is done for salvage operations on a ship with surviving friendlies.

Communicate to Pirate Ship that mercy will be meted out in proportion to cooperation, and hail the merchant.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:04 am »

Congratulate bridge crew for a job well done. Order calibration of lasers to point defense for future projectile-based attacks. Launch troops to both ships and prepare for towing, additional folk aboard, and/or whatever else is done for salvage operations on a ship with surviving friendlies.

Communicate to Pirate Ship that mercy will be meted out in proportion to cooperation, and hail the merchant.

This.

Then this.

Also have orders to immediately fire upon any signs of energy buildup within weapons systems in the corvette. Don't want them trying any funny business with our men.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 02:55:54 am »

This.

Then this.

Also have orders to immediately fire upon any signs of energy buildup within weapons systems in the corvette. Don't want them trying any funny business with our men.
+1 to all of this
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:41 am »

No parties until the fat lady is done with her solo. So -1 to the celebration.
The Corvette crew seem rather determined, and likely have some experience with boarding actions. Don't split our forces much, send as many dropships as we can quickly, or half our forces, whichever is less, to the corvette, take careful aim and fire a few parting shots at anything that would threaten a dropship. Then fly the Syllarn to the merchant to deploy our remaining forces.
The merchants may be dying as we speak, and a frigate should be faster anyway. We shouldn't be needed at the corvette for now and can return once we have an update on the merchant.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 03:51:08 am »

Yeah, -1 to congratulations. "I understand and share your joy, but job's not done yet. Back to business! Prepare for boarding! Ensign, report on lifesigns." *to the marines' commander* "[appropriate title], how many men would you require to safely secure the corvette? And the merchand ship?" *answer* "send [appropriate numbers of dropships and pods]. Good luck marines."
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 03:55:43 am »

Yeah, -1 to congratulations. "I understand and share your joy, but job's not done yet. Back to business! Prepare for boarding! Ensign, report on lifesigns." *to the marines' commander* "[appropriate title], how many men would you require to safely secure the corvette? And the merchand ship?" *answer* "send [appropriate numbers of dropships and pods]. Good luck marines."

+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 07:04:34 am »

+1

+2

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 07:40:07 am »

little edit I forgot something:

"I understand and share your joy, but job's not done yet. Back to business! Prepare for boarding! Ensign, report on lifesigns." *to the marines' commander* "[appropriate title], how many men would you require to safely secure the corvette? And the merchand ship?" *answer* "send [appropriate numbers of dropships and pods]. Boarding group alpha's mission is to take full control of the ennemy corvette, and subdue its crew. They will then be [insert standard procedure], as dictated by the Imperial Navy Law. Beta's mission is to rescue secure the merchand crew. Both squads should retrieve the ships' logs. Use of lethal force authorized. Good luck marines." *salute* *marine commander salute back and depart* "Pilot, once the boarding troops have departed, bring us in a position from which we can easily cover their approach, should the ennemy try anything. Meanwhile, the engineering should take a look to the damaged equipment. Captain out."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:42:30 am by kaian-a-coel »
Full Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 07:41:17 am »

Meh, seems plausible.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

I think the official motto should be "Only in Death does Duty End."
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 06:55:10 pm »

After calming down the crew, you quickly get back to work.
Ordering the Combat Officer up to the bridge, you inquire about the force that you would need to capture an average corvette.

"It's hard to tell, sir. With life sensing equipment like the stuff we have, it could vary heavily, as these ones can only really tell whether we have 'a lot', which is a huge range, 'a little', which is more like an abandoned ship with a few souls on board, and 'none', which, of course, means absolutely no one on board. The Corvette itself is fairly sizeable for a corvette, and could even be considered a very small frigate by some. Taking in the fact that some of their force is docked at the merchant ship, I'd say about 2 squads could secure a corvette."
"And the Merchant Ship?"
"Well, that thing is bigger than our own ship, but I'd also say 2 squads, since the pirates probably aren't stupid enough to put more than half their soldiers on it. Our marines will also have the help of on board guard."

Acknowledging this data, you order a salvo of four boarding pods, to not put all your eggs in one basket, and a dropship to the merchant ship. All filled with regular marines, with their orders known. It would appear both the dropship and pods have a navigation malfunction, so they can't tell you their coordinates. This will damage your ability to cover them.

While waiting for the marines to arrive, sensors indicate a salvo of missile fire coming your way, originating from the Corvette. This would appear to be their "dying gasp," but there's no way to tell for sure. The missiles will outrun your ship, and if they hit your hull, they can do a fair bit of damage. You have a few moments for an action beforehand.

Engineering has reported there are no problems with the frigate at the moment. The Spinal Beam is charged and primed.

Spoiler: Battle Stats (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »

Use the lasers to interdict the missiles. Order the boarding crew to show no quarter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7