Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Frigate Commander  (Read 5567 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Frigate Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 07:38:09 pm »

You are Tallarn Syrt, of the House Syrt. You've always had a knack in mechanics, and tactics, along with experience of adapting new, old, or just otherwise different technologies. This was able to get you to the top of your class in the Fleet Officers Academy. You were sent here to serve your house, and serve you will. In due time, everyone will respect and honor your house, as they did generations ago.
"Tallarn Syrt, please come up"
You get up from your seat and make your way through the masses of stationary Trainees. You reach the podium, and stare into the crowd, which seemed to consist of millions of people. Maybe it did. You also look back into the mass of Trainees to see your friend, Galahad Sisarn. He came you with here, sent by a friendly house. You then turn your head to look at the speaker.
"Tallarn Syrt, for your dedication to the Academy, and your observed skills, you have graduated from the Academy. You will be given a ship and crew, the finest the Empire can offer. Good luck, Tallarn Syrt."
You are handed a large piece of what seems to be Papyrus, from tradition. You decide to read it later, and thank the Academy before going back to your seat, and sitting down. Watching all the other trainees becoming the supposed future Glory of the Empire.
---
You slowly trudge your way to the Head Director's office, where you hope to become a real Commander of the Galian Empire.
"Ah, Hello..."
"Tallarn, Sir."
"..Tallarn. Congratulations on your Graduation from the Academy. I hope you'll bring the enemies to the knees, if you even see them before you kneel over and die."
The Head Director chuckles to himself before continuing.
"Anyways, Tallarn. As you already know, you will be granted a ship. You're quite lucky to graduate in this time, you know. Take this, fill it out, and bring it to the shipyards."
He proceeds to hand you a small form.
"Congratulations, Trainee. You have been an asset to the Academy and will eventually be one to Galia itself. Good day."
"I wasn't given a ship when I graduated."

As you walk across the halls to the exit, you look at the form, and start to attempt to decide what you'll fill in.
The form appears to require a "ship type", "ship name", and "preferred role."
Good grief, you think. How many ships have they been mass producing to completely bypass the regular ceremonies?
But remembering upon your early days at the Academy, you note there are three major frigate types.
There's the Battle Frigate, which would be your generic guns-and-shields ship.
The Troop Carrier, designed to board enemy ships itself, with pods, shuttles, and other methods, with masses of marines.
Then there's the 'Ship' Carrier, another frigate which holds a remarkably large amount of very small ships, like fighters, which it uses to combat the enemy. There may also be Other Ships that you don't recall at this specific moment.
But despite this, you'll certainly need to fill it out before you get to the shipyards.

Spoiler: Tallarn Syrt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:33:11 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:40 pm »

Troop Carrier Capturing stuff would mesh well with our skills.
Syllarn Because we have an ego but aren't certain about tart...
Disrupting supply routes.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »

Troop Carrier Capturing stuff would mesh well with our skills.
Syllarn Because we have an ego but aren't certain about tart...
Disrupting supply routes.
+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »

+2

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 11:09:58 pm »

During the transit to the Shipyards Ground Office, you decided to go with a Troop Carrier, name it Syllarn, and to disrupt supply routes with it. Hopefully you will see at least a decent amount of action. Only time can tell, as always.
---
You step out of the transit station, to look at a small office in a Government Skyscraper. It's fairly underwhelming. You push your way past the revolving doors, to see a bustling workplace, with office workers chatting, designing, attending calls, and more. You walk up to the desk to see a middle aged attendant talking through the phones to someone else. You didn't think that phones were still used this much, in this day and age. Despite that, you put the form on the desk, and start waiting.
The attendant eventually puts the phone down and starts inspecting your form. Afterwards, she quickly operates the computer, and after a short delay,
"Your 'ship' is waiting for you in Hangar G7. Your commanding officer will contact you once on board. Good day."
She deposits the form in a nearby box and waves her hand at you in a condescending matter.
---
You walk down the halls, almost running out of excitement. A frigate probably is extremely expensive. It's a great honor that the Empire sees to fit you with such expensive technology. You see a door in the distance with a large "G7" label on it. You walk towards it, and wave your hand past the security mechanism, which causes the door to slide open, revealing a huge hangar, with multiple workmen just coming off the ship, with a "work well done" look on their faces. You acknowledge your presence to a nearby manager, who tells the crew over the radio to 'get in positions.' This must be what it feels like to be important. Before coming onboard, you take a good long look at Syllarn.
It's a magnificent piece of time and work, with the empire insignia painted on the sides, and what seems to be countless dropship hangars and troop pod launchers. At the front, you see the bridge, which is just barely visible by a thick amount of transparent material (glass?) serving as a window inside. At the back, there are three gigantic thrusters which in total, fill up almost the entire back of the ship. You know these thrusters to glow bright blue, emitting a faint contrail when online. On the bottom of the sides of the ship, you see large coolant containers, used for maintaining the reactor.
It's not bad for a fresh Captain.

You slowly walk up the rails to the airlock, admiring the beauty of the Syllarn.
Once inside, you make your way into the bridge, with a mental map of a standard Troop Carrier present in your mind. Once at the bridge, all the new crewmen, from their respective academies, rising to you and saluting. You salute back, before making a short speech to the new crew over the intercom, talking about the strength of the empire, the houses involved in this project, and of course, your House. You lounge back on the Captain's Chair, right before a hologram of the Fleet Commander appears on the bridge, with a yell coming from one of the crewmen stating his presence.

"Hello, Captain. I see that you've made yourself home here already. As you're still fresh from the Academy, I'll cut you some slack for now. The Empire does not wait forever, noble or not. Your ship is equipped with some of our earlier cryotube technology, which will allow your soldiers to fit in a smaller space, waiting for duty. You have access to crew and soldiers freely here. We will grant you equipment based on your value to the Empire. As for your duty, the same 'green' philosophy applies. We have no upstanding priorities at the moment, but we could use you in two different missions by yourself. They may not completely match perfectly with your equipment and set of skills, but we don't have many other 'openings', you could say. They have been uploaded to your ship computers.

Good day, Captain. The Empire does not wait long.
"

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Soldiers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Syllarn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tallarn Syrt, Captain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31:57 pm »

Hmm, the distress signal sounds like an opportunity for a boarding action, something we're well suited for.
I Vote for distress call
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »

Hmm, the distress signal sounds like an opportunity for a boarding action, something we're well suited for.
I Vote for distress call
Me too.

EDIT: If someone ask, the name is the first thing that came to our minds, and once we realised it was pretty much a mix of our name and our friend's, it was written and registered. Well, I hope it's a common name in the setting or something.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:59:22 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:50 pm »

I Vote for distress call
Me too.
Me three.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 12:32:34 am »

Sure, distress call. Also an opportunity to meet another noble.

One thing, though. As soon as we leave orbit, we beat the men to quarters and inform them that we run a tight ship and will be holding drills randomly en route. We expect gunners to man their posts quickly and perform gunnery practice on nearby space junk or remote buoys, and we will lower our inertial dampers to simulate battle damage and have the crew performing their duties while the ship is pitching and shuddering. Simulate casualties and replacements, etc.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53:52 am »

Sure, distress call. Also an opportunity to meet another noble.

One thing, though. As soon as we leave orbit, we beat the men to quarters and inform them that we run a tight ship and will be holding drills randomly en route. We expect gunners to man their posts quickly and perform gunnery practice on nearby space junk or remote buoys, and we will lower our inertial dampers to simulate battle damage and have the crew performing their duties while the ship is pitching and shuddering. Simulate casualties and replacements, etc.

THIS.

Tell the crew that we don't want them to be good. We don't even want them to be great.

We want them to be the best damn crew in the fleet.

We want them to be remembered, not only by their children, but by their children, and their children, until the end of time!

We want this crew to be a symbol, a glorious symbol, of what the Empire can do!
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:28:03 am »

And I want it to be filled with exotic odours and assorted scraps of varied levels of functionality from dozens of different alien vessels...

But being effective also works...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:17 am »

I agree with the program, but be sure that the crew understand. We dont want a mutinous crew... I say we start relatively easy (I stress relatively), and ramp up the difficulty progressively. Maybe random battles alert to begin with, and later on almost permanent red alert (with the "casualties" being the one in recuperation. Hence ship's motto: "only death ends duty", or more casually "you'll slack off when you're dead")
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:39 am »

I agree with the program, but be sure that the crew understand. We dont want a mutinous crew... I say we start relatively easy (I stress relatively), and ramp up the difficulty progressively. Maybe random battles alert to begin with, and later on almost permanent red alert (with the "casualties" being the one in recuperation. Hence ship's motto: "only death ends duty", or more casually "you'll slack off when you're dead")

I'd agree to the drills while we go to our mission(we do need to shake down the crew after all!), but I'll stop short of permanent red alert. That's a surefire way to kill crew morale and breed mutinous thoughts. Regular drills and exercises, though is another thing entirely, is expected, and is something I'll support

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 02:24:41 am »

Beware the old boy who cried wolf scenario.
Read the First Post!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 02:24:58 am »

Alternatively we start REALLY HARD for a short period, then when the crew inevitably protest we soften up to the level we originally planed. The idea is that humans are way more likely to accept the unnacceptable if it is proposed as an alternative to something even worse.

Beware the old boy who cried wolf scenario.
you forgot the "this is not an exercice" part. Plus, it is their duty to never get lazy and slack off on the pretext "it's only an exercice"...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:27:21 am by kaian-a-coel »
Full Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7