Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 217513 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:20 pm »

Tolyk
NQT, what do you think about there being quite a few people here who won't go the "traditional" way (i.e. newbies/foreigners/whoevertheybe)?
It spices things up a bit. I don't think their scum reads will be that different. Do you?

Urist Imiknorris
If you had the power to initiate a private chat with someone, how would you decide who to aim it at?

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2013, 03:23:42 pm »

Tiruin:
Anyway.
TheWetSheep: How good do you think your chances of winning this game are?
I'd like to know how this helps at all, and why him of all people.
I've never played with him before, and I'm interested in seeing how he thinks. Depending on his response, it may or may not lead somewhere.

Toaster:
The Soldier:
Griff:
I would have to be very certain. The daykill couldn't be traced back to me (unless theoretical-Wuba got VERY creative), so there's no potential fallout for hitting a townie.

If you're town, why would you be worried about a kill being traced back to you?
If someone traced a daykill on a townie back to me, they may not accept that I was certain of their scumminess. This has a good chance of leading to a mislynch, and adding the NK, that means 3 dead townies. With no chance of tracing me, the town has a better chance of lynching actual scum.

Captain Ford:
PFP (Posting from Profession)

Hello everybody! How's everyone doing today?
The Soldier: How effective do you believe random-voting to be?
Random votes themselves aren't particularly useful - you're unlikely to make someone crack with them unless they're inexperienced or prone to paranoia/overreactions. RVS is a necessary evil to start discussion without a N0, but there's a reason we try to get out of RVS fast.

UI: Fair enough.

NQT: It's the night before LYLO, and you have an unused 1-shot alignment inspect. The remaining other players are myself, a chronic lurker, an experienced and hard-to-read player, a newbie, and an "average" player you're leaning town on. Who would you inspect, and why?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:59 pm »

. . . Wow, that's a lot of talking.  I'll post in a bit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »

Soldier
NQT: It's the night before LYLO, and you have an unused 1-shot alignment inspect. The remaining other players are myself, a chronic lurker, an experienced and hard-to-read player, a newbie, and an "average" player you're leaning town on. Who would you inspect, and why?
Probably the most experienced player: if they're scum then I might not have seen it (like I didn't spot Tiruin or Shakerag in the last BM) and if they're town then they've got a better chance of helping town to a win than anyone else, so I'll want to know I can trust 'em. What would you do?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:08 pm »

Urist Imiknorris: Sounds consistent.

Griffionday:
I'm flattered, but I'm afraid that answer doesn't help me. Which is probably the fault of the question so unvote
Why did you type this?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »

Okay, back from school, did some reading up, and have come to a few conclusions.

Deathsword: Firstly, i've never really been able to properly get out my thoughts when typing, and i'm not much better in RL. I have been known to spend an hour rewriting the same paragraph over and over trying to make it make sense to others and not just me. I'm also still getting used to Forum Mafia but i will say that it is no excuse for the random things i've been typing at times. I'm a random person, logical in my own right, but generally random. I hope this clears up a few things but i'm really just bad at getting my act together so sorry for any inconvienience... okay semi-rant over.

Tiruin: You've been on my case almost from the start of the day which, considering my mistakes and newbyness, is completely justified. I have small suspicions of you but non that warrant much other than gut feeling so... thats really it, sometimes i hate words.

Vector: Yeah, we went overboard. Several compliments about you though.

NQT: I have agreed with most of your statements thus far so i have little to suspect you on so far.

Captain: i have had little to know read on you so i can't really say i have any suspicions on you.

Zrk2: you have appeared to be the least scummy to me but i'm not nearly ready to start trusting players.

I have a proposition for everyone, Since this would only give everyone a vague hint, should we all say what element/object/thing we decided to have our role based off of? If four or more people agree to this, i'll then start with my element/object/thing just so i can form some sort of trust... in retrospec, this will probably just make me seem more scummy but i stick by this. atleast for now.

Also, thank you all for the tips to help with posting on my DSI. It really helps.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »

The Soldier:
I honestly have no idea. If webadict made a nice balanced setup, I'd say a bit less than 50%. Since I'm pretty new, and there are a few other new people, it could be a handicap to town. Also, the chance is even lower if there's a third party.

Zrk2:
TheWetSheep: If you were a third party what third party would you want to be? Why?
I'd be a Watcher. The wincon is just so different from all the others that it'd be a difficult and interesting challenge.

Tolyk:
TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
Hah. That, or, white fluffy barnyard animals. Who'll be lynched? Town, at a guess. It may sound pessimistic, but Day 1 you have very little to no concrete information to base accusations off of. Also, there are a few new-ish people in this game.

Hapah: Would you ever claim as a Watcher? If so, when?

UI: How do you choose your random vote target?

RangerCado: Describe the playstyle you think you'll have.

Tiruin:
Anyway.
I'd like to know how this helps at all, and why him of all people.
Why do you think this is a useless question? Since I'm new, it's a question that could cause me to stupidly reveal something about my alignment. Also, is there something special about me?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

Ranger:
I have a proposition for everyone, Since this would only give everyone a vague hint, should we all say what element/object/thing we decided to have our role based off of? If four or more people agree to this, i'll then start with my element/object/thing just so i can form some sort of trust... in retrospec, this will probably just make me seem more scummy but i stick by this. atleast for now.

I'm against this.  The roles we have are based on our elements, but orientation might not be.  So this would be essentially a soft role-claim which is less useful to town than scum at this point. 

One quick thing: you mentioned that you suspect me, but haven't questioned me at all.  Why not?

Ford:
I'm flattered, but I'm afraid that answer doesn't help me. Which is probably the fault of the question so unvote
Why did you type this?
To admit that my question was overly soft and unhelpful, but that I've decided to move my vote to someone else.  Not the best reason in retrospect. 

Deathsword:
Apparently there are zero questions to me.
How does being ignored feel?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:53 pm »

Toaster: it seems strange to me  that, unlike Tiruin, you've somewhat ignored my mistakes after clearing up my first couple posts. this seems odd to me as i thought more-experianced players like you would be pressing people on this... did i just critisize myself?                               WetSheep: Not to give anything away, but my role allows both aggresive and passive play. i'll probably play cautiously for now until we can get some useful intel.                    Griff: Whats your take on  who appears to be the scummiest and who appears to be the towniest?  (lol, asked why i'm not questioning you right before i post.)
[/quote]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »

Hapah: Are you or are you not a wizard?

What do you hope to achieve with this? He's obviously a wizard, that is, after all, the flavour. What are you aiming to get here? Couldn't you phrase it better?

Zrk2: Are you going to do anything differently to try to not get lynched again?

I missed this earlier. I'm going to try to post more and not waffle, as waffling is what did me in. Also hopefully my experience is beginning to aggregate and I should be slowly doing things better and better. I hope that at this point it's just a matter of playing enough to improve to the point where I'm not always giving off "scumtells." The only major thing I can do differently and immediately is to confront the case levelled against me head on and tear it apart piece by piece instead of only answering the question in it addressed specifically to me.

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.
That is a good compliment.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
Why are you assuming all of these?

I am assuming these due to the chances of lynching a town are much higher on day one, and i have rarely seen a mafia lynched on day one unless they made a slip-up. A no lynch allows anyone who can investigate to go off on their suspicions and see if their confirmed and any deaths could potentially give us useful intel.

These points show that a no lynch also can give us an extra day due to no death on day 1, depending on how the nights go.

I also agree that a Day kill is a definite possibility due to the nature of BYOR's as well as the chance that there may be abilities that stop this or even a lynch death.

The only thing i can really be positive of is that ,for the time being, a lynch won't help Town much unless there is definite proof. (i say Town as i will not confirm or deny me being mafia by saying we to put anyone thinking i don't add myself to suspicions at ease)

Sometimes roleflips are useful as well, even if the person lynched is town. Furthermore lynches D1 often boil down to who has posted/scumhunted the least, and that itself is beneficial because it means there is less dead weight dragging the town down later in the game. Are you convinced that a no lynch is the best bet for D1?

Since Vector has nothing to say i'll unvote her for now and focus on other things.

Woah woah woah. Not getting responses isn't a reason to change your vote, in fact it's a reason to keep it there, because they aren't being productive.

Speaking of which, Tiruin, you never answered my question here:
Zrk2
Griffonday: How will the abundance of roles effect your use of your own role?
Care to explain why this shouldn't be considered role-fishing?

Because I didn't ask what your role was, I just wanted to know how the abundance of roles will influence your actions. If you're really worried about possibly giving away your role treat it as a hypothetical. Consider a variety of standard roles. Mention one shots. Give me a big long paragraph of supposition. I wait with bated breath.
I'm beginning to wonder if grammarmancer is not your choice of pick. That, or how bated breath smells or feels like.

I wasn't sure if it was "baited" or "bated," so I guessed. And grammar is annoying, so there's that.

Anyway, you're poking at Griff's statement there, or helping him out? I understand he's a newbie -- in the way that we haven't seen him play before, but this seems more like you begging a question from him. More along the lines of making sense to his vote.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bolded part. Anyway, he seems to have misinterpreted my question, so I was clarifying for him.

Zrk2: you have appeared to be the least scummy to me but i'm not nearly ready to start trusting players.

Your confidence in me gives me the warm fuzzies.

I think it's a little early for that yet.

RangerCado, formatting in the text box does not translate into formatting on the page. As such you should use proper linebreaks to create new lines instead of just adding enough spaces to break it in the composition field. If that's what you're doing.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:22 pm »

>VECTOR< (yes thats a vote) why'd you just sit on my plate of pizza?

Because you can't seem to remember that I'm female, RangerCado.

Here is a picture.  Don't forget it.

i picked vector just that hes a good scum player and will remove when he posts.

So you're tagging me and will remove the vote regardless of what I say. . . fascinating.  Why did you think this was a good idea, again?

Just to be vague, one of my abilities is more viable to use the more i know about others.

My role isn't really suited for scumhunting

WetSheep: Not to give anything away, but my role allows both aggresive and passive play. i'll probably play cautiously for now until we can get some useful intel.

You sound nervous and somewhat obsessive.  Do you consider yourself useless outside of your role's powers?  Why or why not?

The only thing i can really be positive of is that, for the time being, a lynch won't help Town much unless there is definite proof.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

"Mafia is a game based on gathering information."

Currently i have no solid suspicions of anyone, but would like to see what those who haven't posted yet think. I'll take my vote off Vector when he either posts, i get suspicions, or when the day is half over and i need to stop trying to interegate someone not posting.

You have an interesting definition of interrogation.  Also an interesting way of encouraging lurkers to post.

Since Vector has nothing to say i'll unvote her for now and focus on other things.

Captain: Who appears to be the most scummy to you right now besides Hapah for not answering?

On my next post i'll say some of my suspicions since i can get a good 2-3 hours studying this mess of quotes. Also, i think for now i'll vote No Lynch as i still believe it to be the best course for now.

Why did you decide not to vote for Captain here as you question him (or, better yet, add some pressure to that vote on me)?  I'll also add that that list of "suspicions" didn't seem to have much suspicion in it.

if its an SK we may have saved ourselves a lot of trouble.

This is provided that you are able to find the SK.

Okay, i don't want to be a liar so i'll say a couple suspicions i have that may have no basis other than gut feeling.

NUMBER 1: I believe that there are atleast 2 roles out there that will investigating during the day. This is more gut feeling that anything else. One could also be that Truth-Finder role i mentioned earlier.

NUMBER 2: Atleast 2-3 of us currently talking (Death, Captain, Toaster, Zrk, Tiruin, Urist, Tolyk, Hapah, notquitethere) are Mafia. There are still 4-5 people who haven't posted yet or did and i forgot their name. There may be a 4th (or the 3rd) in those that haven't posted but i think 2 of those mentioned is a reliable guess. We don't know how many mafia we're looking for but 3 seems a good estimate for now.

NUMBER 3: Toaster and Griff have been trying to get the most reads on people with Tiruin not far behind. This leads me to believe that either their playing very good scum or 1 of them is. I don't think any two of them of together but all or one of them have me on edge. I can't shake the feeling that one of them atleast is subtely targeting someone.

More on all this in 2-3 hours. i have to finish the school day and then thouroghly read through all these posts. See you then guys.

Excellent description.  Please explain, in detail, how your theories are something more than a conjecture and smoke screen.  You seem to post a lot, but none of it has any substance whatsoever--the pattern is that you explain you can't scumhunt because of ~your role~, and then post a lot of statements with no data, and then tell us you want to no-lynch because there is no information to be had.

This is the question you should be asking yourself: why is it that everyone else seems to have a lot of data, and I have none?

Oh, and:

NUMBER 1: Gut feeling is usually based on a lot of experience, or rather the product of a lot of assumed subconscious data processing based on a large data set.  What is your data set on which you are drawing?  I would assume that it is the varied games you are reading, but they have clearly not taught you how to play.

NUMBER 2: 14 - 10 = 4 > 3.

NUMBER 3: People are trying to get reads => one must be very, very talented scum?

Bullshit.

NQT: I have agreed with most of your statements thus far so i have little to suspect you on so far.

What does agreement with statements have to do with level of suspicion?

Vector:  How does a relatively higher quantity of newer players affect RVS for you?

Hmm. . . I'd say it makes RVS more useful, or at the very least easier (all else being equal about the total headcount), though unfortunately my late entry into the game means that I won't be able to capitalize on this as much as I might have liked.  Most of the newbies seem to have had their trial by fire already, which means that it honestly shouldn't matter too much in terms of being incapable of determining alignment.

Vector: Who are you most afraid of as scum, and as town? Who would you like to be paired with most as scum?

Also, if you had a one-shot inspect, when would you use it -- regardless of alignment?

Town: Webadict, Pandarsenic, and Leafsnail.  Scum: Dakarian, Jim Groovester, Rysith.

As scum, I'd prefer to be paired with whoever feels like talking a lot in the scumchat and playing a magnificent game.  It's really more about feeding off each other's moods than it is about anything else.  Uh. . . actually, if I have to name names, top choices would probably be Solifuge and Free Beer, maybe Leafsnail.  They seem to be pretty consistently up for shenanigans.

If I were scum, I'd use the inspect when I thought I'd found a third party, preferably near LYLO.

If I were town, I'd probably inspect the strongest player of whom I was least certain on D2 or later, with the possible caveat of checking the newest or lurkiest players.  Basically, whatever gives the most information.

If I were a third party, I have no idea.  I very, very infrequently roll up third party, so I honestly don't know how I'd play one.

Vector: How do you think abilities not being revealed on flip will affect the game?

I'd possibly expect a role that give intel on dead players, as is common in Werewolf; or possibly there's a player that can siphon off of the dead, as in Totem 2.  Speculation aside, if we really have no way to access the abilities then this means that not only may we have more trouble with scum fakeclaims, but that it will be harder to do things like lynching folks to confirm night data.

Vector, what's our Victor? Err, whatever. Why do you think you were one of the leading roles in the flavor at the beginning, considering Wuba said it would be a medium-flavor game?

Hmm. . . my best guess right now is random.org, or maybe a welcome-back.  But let me just check something real quick:

Vector conjures a crown.

TheWetSheep: If you were a third party what third party would you want to be? Why?

TolyK: What is your favourite town role? Scum role? Third party?

What is the purpose of these questions?

Ranger: Why did you choose to ask a question unrelated to the game to Vector?

Deathsword, why is your major contribution to the game at this point a question that hops on other people's investigation and arguments?

Tolyk
NQT, what do you think about there being quite a few people here who won't go the "traditional" way (i.e. newbies/foreigners/whoevertheybe)?
It spices things up a bit. I don't think their scum reads will be that different. Do you?

Do you really think that there is no learning process involved vis-a-vis the epistemology of scumminess?

TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
Hah. That, or, white fluffy barnyard animals. Who'll be lynched? Town, at a guess. It may sound pessimistic, but Day 1 you have very little to no concrete information to base accusations off of. Also, there are a few new-ish people in this game.

Why didn't you answer the rest of TolyK's question?

If someone traced a daykill on a townie back to me, they may not accept that I was certain of their scumminess. This has a good chance of leading to a mislynch, and adding the NK, that means 3 dead townies. With no chance of tracing me, the town has a better chance of lynching actual scum.

You will play this game better when you have more self-confidence.

Random votes themselves aren't particularly useful - you're unlikely to make someone crack with them unless they're inexperienced or prone to paranoia/overreactions. RVS is a necessary evil to start discussion without a N0, but there's a reason we try to get out of RVS fast.

If you try to get out of RVS fast and there's been so many pages of data, why are you still asking RVS questions?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

Ranger: Why did you choose to ask a question unrelated to the game to Vector?
Deathsword, why is your major contribution to the game at this point a question that hops on other people's investigation and arguments?
I am not sure I understand the question. How does that question you quoted involves hopping on someone esle's investigation and arguments? I merely asked him there why he decided to ask something unrelated to the game itself, rather than a mechanics/meta-related question which are more common.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »

Two posts above you:

3. Your vote on Vector...isn't much of anything for her to answer to. Dude, its a flavor-based question. Flavor is what we use as a term for what the Moderator adds in his posts for Fun Details. Why do you want your vote on Vector...if it's purely about flavor? Aren't you going to poke at anyone else at the moment?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2013, 08:31:43 pm »

Okay, i need to stop jumping around this and just do something productive. Thanks Vector for getting me out of this... whatever i was doing. You look nice in the picture btw :) .
Toaster: you started with in the begginning but after a few more posts stop. you have since then completely ignored every stupid thing i've done which should have encouraged you to continue interigating me. Tiruin, Deathsword, and now Vector (since her huge post) have all pointed out faults in my logic and all my jumping the gun moments. I may be wrong here but it seems silly to leave off your first suspicion (i don't care if i'm a hypocrite) when they've acted as badly as i did and probably still will. You could argue that i'm harder to read because i'm new here and my mistakes can come down inexperiance, but thats not much of exuse in the long run.
This seems more like a way of keeping the attention of the strong players away from yourself to where i get lynched or NKed.
i may be overthinking this but i need to start somewhere.
[/quote]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »

TolyK: What is your favourite town role? Scum role? Third party?

What is the purpose of these questions?

Getting people talking. Stimulating discussion. Seeing the mindset of how people approach the game. No matter what someone's outlook on a game is shaped by their role. By askingt questions like  this I am provoking from them comments on seemingly irrelevant matter and thus lowering their guard, giving me a better idea of what they actually are.

G'night all.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 93