Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 217595 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2013, 11:25:46 am »

Zrk2
Griffonday: How will the abundance of roles effect your use of your own role?
Care to explain why this shouldn't be considered role-fishing?

Because I didn't ask what your role was, I just wanted to know how the abundance of roles will influence your actions. If you're really worried about possibly giving away your role treat it as a hypothetical. Consider a variety of standard roles. Mention one shots. Give me a big long paragraph of supposition. I wait with bated breath.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2013, 11:35:48 am »

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.
That is a good compliment.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
Why are you assuming all of these?

I am assuming these due to the chances of lynching a town are much higher on day one, and i have rarely seen a mafia lynched on day one unless they made a slip-up. A no lynch allows anyone who can investigate to go off on their suspicions and see if their confirmed and any deaths could potentially give us useful intel.

These points show that a no lynch also can give us an extra day due to no death on day 1, depending on how the nights go.

I also agree that a Day kill is a definite possibility due to the nature of BYOR's as well as the chance that there may be abilities that stop this or even a lynch death.

The only thing i can really be positive of is that ,for the time being, a lynch won't help Town much unless there is definite proof. (i say Town as i will not confirm or deny me being mafia by saying we to put anyone thinking i don't add myself to suspicions at ease)

Currently i have no solid suspicions of anyone, but would like to see what those who haven't posted yet think. I'll take my vote off Vector when he either posts, i get suspicions, or when the day is half over and i need to stop trying to interegate someone not posting.

(ps. yes i am posting in school ;) )
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2013, 11:56:36 am »

Well, hello there.

“Yeah, almost as much as I love drinking poison!” shouts TolyK.
Poison! Yes, poison good! Yumm!

TolyK: Seeing the state of affairs, there is no roleflip. Given the situation that you're scum, how will you use this to your advantage, in theory?
If I were scum...
Well, I would probably claim inspects and such on various people that I know will die and with actions I know happened, which I could tie to them. Also, if I were to die (which happens to me a lot >.>) my fakeclaims would possibly be taken for the real thing.

TolyK: What is your favourite town role? Scum role? Third party?
Favorite town role is the person who doesn't get killed at night.
Favorite scum role is the person who arsons everyone.
Third party? Probably unkillable jester that can do fun things at night.

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.
That is a good compliment.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
Why are you assuming all of these?

I am assuming these due to the chances of lynching a town are much higher on day one, and i have rarely seen a mafia lynched on day one unless they made a slip-up. A no lynch allows anyone who can investigate to go off on their suspicions and see if their confirmed and any deaths could potentially give us useful intel.

These points show that a no lynch also can give us an extra day due to no death on day 1, depending on how the nights go.

I also agree that a Day kill is a definite possibility due to the nature of BYOR's as well as the chance that there may be abilities that stop this or even a lynch death.

The only thing i can really be positive of is that ,for the time being, a lynch won't help Town much unless there is definite proof. (i say Town as i will not confirm or deny me being mafia by saying we to put anyone thinking i don't add myself to suspicions at ease)
Ranger, that's illogical. You can't ever be suspicious of yourself, unless you are actually scum, in which case that's just silly. You typically should say that you are town, all the time. I remember trying to do something like this before... it didn't help me.

TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
NQT, what do you think about there being quite a few people here who won't go the "traditional" way (i.e. newbies/foreigners/whoevertheybe)?
TolyK, ... well, damn. I probably shouldn't have entered my name, huh. Well, okay then, next?
Vector, what's our Victor? Err, whatever. Why do you think you were one of the leading roles in the flavor at the beginning, considering Wuba said it would be a medium-flavor game?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

Ranger: You can use [­br] tags to break up your post into lines.
Nope.
It's
Code: [Select]
[hr]
And yes Griff, you can copy my "style". It makes me happy.  ;D

Hapah: Are you or are you not a wizard?
omg rolefishing.
"Yer a wizard, Hapah."
"omg rolefishing."

Seems to work in context. :P

UI: Now, I'd rather believe that was blatant rolefishing and that...the "knowledge" of witches would help (I mean, two people speaking about "knowledge", with the other being Ranger, and you being implied...still my assumption), but...wow. That would be a pretty strange way of action given the game.

Anywhoo, what was the purpose of that vote?

Zrk2

Because I didn't ask what your role was, I just wanted to know how the abundance of roles will influence your actions. If you're really worried about possibly giving away your role treat it as a hypothetical. Consider a variety of standard roles. Mention one shots. Give me a big long paragraph of supposition. I wait with bated breath.
I'm beginning to wonder if grammarmancer is not your choice of pick. That, or how bated breath smells or feels like.

Anyway, you're poking at Griff's statement there, or helping him out? I understand he's a newbie -- in the way that we haven't seen him play before, but this seems more like you begging a question from him. More along the lines of making sense to his vote.

Griffionday: Seeing your conservative stance, I'd like to know more about you.

Given the situation wherein you'd be gifting (giving at night) one-shots to others, what would you give first or prioritize, and how will you judge your target: One shot lists are a Kill, Block, Protect and Redirect.

PPE: TolyK/Ranger

Well, I would probably claim inspects and such on various people that I know will die and with actions I know happened, which I could tie to them. Also, if I were to die (which happens to me a lot >.>) my fakeclaims would possibly be taken for the real thing.
...Won't that be a one-off deal?
> You fakeinspect, people lynch. Lynch proves otherwise (unless you bus) > You dead.

Not a pretty advantage. Is this all you've got?

...Why?

> The first is a Bulletproof Role.
> The Second is an Arsonist-type.
> The third is Webadict. Because he's our lovely mod.

Why'd you want to screw with people as a third-party in that situation? That's against your wincon as a Jester.

TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
NQT, what do you think about there being quite a few people here who won't go the "traditional" way (i.e. newbies/foreigners/whoevertheybe)?
TolyK, ... well, damn. I probably shouldn't have entered my name, huh. Well, okay then, next?
Vector, what's our Victor? Err, whatever. Why do you think you were one of the leading roles in the flavor at the beginning, considering Wuba said it would be a medium-flavor game?
Your questions seem more of being a buddy to others than poking at them. Why is your question to Vector mainly about flavor? Why did...you insert yourself for more text? And why are all your questions going along the 'Investigate' line of interrogative gestures?

Ranger
Currently i have no solid suspicions of anyone, but would like to see what those who haven't posted yet think. I'll take my vote off Vector when he either posts, i get suspicions, or when the day is half over and i need to stop trying to interegate someone not posting.
1. Vector is female.
2. No suspicions of anyone? Have you been reading the posts as of late? As in, currently nothing? Why? Or did I miss something?
3. Your vote on Vector...isn't much of anything for her to answer to. Dude, its a flavor-based question. Flavor is what we use as a term for what the Moderator adds in his posts for Fun Details. Why do you want your vote on Vector...if it's purely about flavor? Aren't you going to poke at anyone else at the moment?

WHile I do get you're busy at school, I'd like answers to those questions above, thanks. (Word of Advice: Its the beginning of the first day...people are busied by timezones and won't post right after the Mod, muchly.)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2013, 12:32:04 pm »

Zrk2

I'm beginning to wonder if grammarmancer is not your choice of pick. That, or how bated breath smells or feels like.

I wasn't sure if it was "baited" or "bated," so I guessed. And grammar is annoying, so there's that.

Anyway, you're poking at Griff's statement there, or helping him out? I understand he's a newbie -- in the way that we haven't seen him play before, but this seems more like you begging a question from him. More along the lines of making sense to his vote.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bolded part. Anyway, he seems to have misinterpreted my question, so I was clarifying for him.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

Apparently there are zero questions to me.

Ranger: Why did you choose to ask a question unrelated to the game to Vector?

Could you clarify the part I bolded? It seems poorly-worded. Also, how is being concerned about saying you are town or not relevant to the fact that lynching townies is obviously bad (for town)?

Hapah: Are you or are you not a wizard?
omg rolefishing.
"Yer a wizard, Hapah."
"omg rolefishing."

This is excellent.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2013, 01:15:12 pm »

Griff
notquitethere: How do feel about being Ranger's pick for scum mate?
I feel warm and fuzzy inside. Ranger doesn't know that I've never won a game of mafia yet, no matter what team I'm on.

Deathsword, who's a bigger threat in this set up, scum or a third party?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2013, 01:35:24 pm »

...Won't that be a one-off deal?
> You fakeinspect, people lynch. Lynch proves otherwise (unless you bus) > You dead.

Not a pretty advantage. Is this all you've got?
Wait, what?
Oh. I meant inspects as in ability-inspects, not alignment-inspects. So that I could blame visits/kills/whatever on the dead person, and have a positive light on my actions. Can't currently think of anything new.
Quote from: tiruin
...Why?
1. I'd rather play more during the day
2. I prefer setting traps to outright killing people, as scum. If you remember a previous game (where both of us were scum I think >.>) that was a very funny tactic indeed.
3. Because that's just plain funny?
> The first is a Bulletproof Role.
> The Second is an Arsonist-type.
> The third is Webadict. Because he's our lovely mod.

Why'd you want to screw with people as a third-party in that situation? That's against your wincon as a Jester.
What? No, you would WANT to screw people over, then have yourself found out. When people see they can't kill you they'll try to lynch you. You can probably just quietly get yourself lynched, but it's more funny when you're causing chaos.
Your questions seem more of being a buddy to others than poking at them.
Why is your question to Vector mainly about flavor?
Why did...you insert yourself for more text?
And why are all your questions going along the 'Investigate' line of interrogative gestures?
Mafia is srs bsns, rite? :P
It's an RVS question, Wuba did say something about flavor, so it might be partially important, which is why I ask.
That was a joke, though I did actually roll myself in Random.org, which is why I thought it would be funny (at least to me).
There was only one investigate question, where does "all" come from?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »

Captain Ford:
Urist Imiknorris: You are often very quiet. Is this deliberate?
It's mostly a function of me not quite comprehending D1 play. I get a lot louder when I have actual leads.

Hapah: Refusing to answer is a sign of guilt, so I'm going to assume you are a wizard. And as we all know, all wizards are evil. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't be lynched.

Toaster: I said witch hunt because witch hunts were actual things in history.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »

PFP
Toaster
Griff:  Eh?  I've been addressing several people at once.  While I do try to spread my focus somewhat, I don't see value in spreading it to everyone.
It might just be that I'm spreading myself too thin attempting to get a read on everyone; but why is there little value in spreading your focus to everyone?

What answer would have helped you?
Any name you mentioned would let me know who you were paying attention to, and from there I could have seen you interactions with that person.

The problem is I honestly don't know.  I have no standard meta (outside of quickly racking up most posts and gaining the fewest reliable reads), and am dealing with each day as it comes.  My Mafia history is rather bland; I only have personal experience with doctors and cops.  I've seen how other roles are used but until I see them played in a game that I'm in I won't have an adequate feeling for how they effect the game.  Additionally most of the games on Bay12 (read "all the games I've  read") have an abundance of roles, so I tend to see more roles as the norm rather than something that will change my play, likewise the roles being hidden doesn't change much for me either:

So to re-answer your earlier question:

Scumhunting: Not much change if any: I trust Webadict to provide us with a game that will not be balanced significantly differently than a normal game; or at the very least to be balanced fairly.  The primary difference is that the town will have more information to work with, as we have far more power roles than a normal game.  The downside I see is that claims are easier for scum to pull off.

Use of my role: Again I don't really know.  I mean the actions themselves would gain more signifigance but I'm not convinced that the targeting would change, so unless you want to know how I'd target specific roles I can't really answer this.

The primary reason why I find your question suspicious is that as a new player "change" is absolutly meaningless. As such, the question becomes about my initial reads of various roles, which is limited to a small group.  To my mind this is role-fishing.  Could you further elaborate why that question is useful to ask a new player?

Tiruin:
Griffionday: Seeing your conservative stance, I'd like to know more about you.

Given the situation wherein you'd be gifting (giving at night) one-shots to others, what would you give first or prioritize, and how will you judge your target: One shot lists are a Kill, Block, Protect and Redirect.
Assuming townie alignment, and no special circumstances (someone trying to get someone lynched who I agree seems highly scummy) I would probably give the Block or Redirect first.  Both of these roles allow someone to protect themselves at night, so I could give them to the player I see as most likely to be a town leader directly, utilizing my primary scumhunt to target.  (Gifting protect is essentially a third hand protection, and thus harder for me to determine who I'd give it to).  I would also try to target a more experienced player, as the one-shot would be more powerful in their hands.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:29 pm »

Short post, kind of busy

Deathsword, who's a bigger threat in this set up, scum or a third party?
As always, scum. Scum can coordinate with each other and make more than one action per night (as in: one makes the kill, others use their abilities). Third parties are on their own.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2013, 02:26:34 pm »

Could you clarify the part I bolded? It seems poorly-worded. Also, how is being concerned about saying you are town or not relevant to the fact that lynching townies is obviously bad (for town)?
...not really sure... I think it has to do with something i saw in an older game...  I wonder if there's a truth-teller roll.

Deathsword: Just to get things started i guess. it was more a reaction question than anything else.

Tiruin: I have no suspicions that i can go off of at the moment. My role isn't really suited for scumhunting and i don't know the usual play styles of all of you yet. I'll probably have something later in the day. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around everyone addressing 3-4 people at once. And i keep writing he with vector because i can't remember as well in school.

Since Vector has nothing to say i'll unvote her for now and focus on other things.

notquitethere: ...i feel bad for you now! If your town i'll help you win this! lol So, back to business, who do you think has acted the scummiest so far and why?

Captain Ford:
Urist Imiknorris: You are often very quiet. Is this deliberate?
It's mostly a function of me not quite comprehending D1 play. I get a lot louder when I have actual leads.

Hapah: Refusing to answer is a sign of guilt, so I'm going to assume you are a wizard. And as we all know, all wizards are evil. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't be lynched.

Toaster: I said witch hunt because witch hunts were actual things in history.
Captain: Who appears to be the most scummy to you right now besides Hapah for not answering?

Toaster: how many people do you believe is a good number to be trying to get reads on D1? And if all survive the night, would you continue to focus on them or shift your focus from 1-2 of them for other things?

On my next post i'll say some of my suspicions since i can get a good 2-3 hours studying this mess of quotes. Also, i think for now i'll vote No Lynch as i still believe it to be the best course for now.
[/quote]

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »

...Dang it! meant to address Urist not Captain. Sorry for the confusion.
[/quote]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »

...not really sure... I think it has to do with something i saw in an older game...  I wonder if there's a truth-teller roll.
So you wrote all that and have no idea why? Really?

And why so eager for a no lynch? This is D1, not MYLO. A lynch gives the town information, and if the lynched player flip either town or scum (third party not so much) we are able to look at their interactions to find anything suspecious.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »

So you wrote all that and have no idea why? Really?

And why so eager for a no lynch? This is D1, not MYLO. A lynch gives the town information, and if the lynched player flip either town or scum (third party not so much) we are able to look at their interactions to find anything suspecious.
   True, but i don't like the risk of lowering the towns numbers if we mislynch. And the third party could be useful. if its an SK we may have saved ourselves a lot of trouble. A cult could also be present but i find that a little unlikely due to balancing. If there is a cult, we could be in huge trouble. (All hail the beloved god Webidict! lol)

Okay, i don't want to be a liar so i'll say a couple suspicions i have that may have no basis other than gut feeling.

NUMBER 1: I believe that there are atleast 2 roles out there that will investigating during the day. This is more gut feeling that anything else. One could also be that Truth-Finder role i mentioned earlier.

NUMBER 2: Atleast 2-3 of us currently talking (Death, Captain, Toaster, Zrk, Tiruin, Urist, Tolyk, Hapah, notquitethere) are Mafia. There are still 4-5 people who haven't posted yet or did and i forgot their name. There may be a 4th (or the 3rd) in those that haven't posted but i think 2 of those mentioned is a reliable guess. We don't know how many mafia we're looking for but 3 seems a good estimate for now.

NUMBER 3: Toaster and Griff have been trying to get the most reads on people with Tiruin not far behind. This leads me to believe that either their playing very good scum or 1 of them is. I don't think any two of them of together but all or one of them have me on edge. I can't shake the feeling that one of them atleast is subtely targeting someone.

More on all this in 2-3 hours. i have to finish the school day and then thouroghly read through all these posts. See you then guys.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 93