Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 217557 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:18 am »

The Soldier:
I'm assuming anyone who voted on weak or obviously scummy grounds would be dragged over the coals the following day, so killing them would be a waste.  I would rather target someone who might be able to slip by on the following day as the steam of the miss-lynch wanes.  So I would target the second most likely scum.  (Depending on critical I feel the town is playing.  If they would likely question two people closely I might target the third most likely scum).

If the day kill resolved at the same time as a lynch, couldn't you vote one way to lynch and kill the other to win at the end of the day?  And if you're 100% sure, why would you not be able to get a lynch?

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2013, 02:40:42 am »

Griff:
Fair enough reasoning.

I haven't seen many daykills, but they're generally resolved whenever the mod sees the message in their inbox. Even if it did happen with the lynch, it would only work in a 3-player LYLO. And even if I'm 100% sure, that doesn't mean I'll be able to convince the other townie(s).

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:29 am »

Soldier
I don't recall seeing any day kills in my reading, can you think of memorable examples? 

And even if I'm 100% sure, that doesn't mean I'll be able to convince the other townie(s).
Fair enough.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2013, 02:58:10 am »

Griff:
There was definitely one in the ongoing Roguelike Mafia 6, and I vaguely remember there being one in an older BYOR - maybe BYOR 9? Both happened in the middle of the day, and reset the votes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2013, 03:40:28 am »

Ranger
Tiruin: typing fast? i'm esentially finger typing lol. yeah i figured out the colo bold thing. i picked vector just that shes a good scum player and will remove when she posts. i will accept Ranger, and with regards to scumhunting: your role can impact that a lot. Just to be vague, one of my abilities is more viable to use the more i know about others.
FTFY. Vector is female.

Why is she a good scum player to you? Did others' words persuade you and you bought it point blank? Or did you do some snooping yourself?

Why are you soft claiming...and why are you telling that?

Griff
Tiruin:  Thanks for the welcome; I'm glad to be here! Assuming otherwise standard roles (BM or unknown) I would protect as it is less likely to inhibit the positive effects of other townies.  In a similar vein, in what situations do you think a tracker would be more useful than a cop?
Depends on the player actually. If we're talking role value only, the cop can be confuzzled by godfathers, that's a main point. The Tracker can know if someone acts or not at the night -- still variably worse (IMO, because on the concept of tracking) from a cop as he can be redirected without (or with? Unsure) knowledge. The parenthesis question is due to the (informal?) rule that inspects get knowledge on their use/who they were targeting and who they were redirected to.

Meaning: Trackers are fun and all, and if we're talking out of role value, a tracker can claim cop and easily spill scum if they panic back.

notquitethere: How do feel about being Ranger's pick for scum mate?
How will this question, and his answer, help you?

The Soldier
Griff:
There was definitely one in the ongoing Roguelike Mafia 6, and I vaguely remember there being one in an older BYOR - maybe BYOR 9? Both happened in the middle of the day, and reset the votes.
Somewhat of a day kill...

And it was a day kill, mind you.

Anyway.
TheWetSheep: How good do you think your chances of winning this game are?
I'd like to know how this helps at all, and why him of all people.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2013, 04:33:53 am »

Tiruin:
(Mind if I borrow your formatting?)

I think I see how trackers being at least equal in power to cops works.  It's all about what happens in the morning; if A acts on B and B is dead in the morning, the possibilities of what A did are limited.

How will this question, and his answer, help you?
I am hoping to get more opinions on Ranger; due to the pedestal Ranger created, NQT is in a unique position to view him from.

Soldier:
After reading the examples of a day kill, it seems far too flashy to be untraceable.  I'm honestly glad I'll probably only very rarely see it.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2013, 08:10:39 am »

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2013, 08:49:54 am »

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.
That is a good compliment.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
Why are you assuming all of these?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:21 am »

I must have just missed this last night.

Griffonday: How will the abundance of roles effect your use of your own role? How will it effect your scumhunting?

TheWetSheep: If you were a third party what third party would you want to be? Why?

TolyK: What is your favourite town role? Scum role? Third party?

Zrk2: Seeing the large quantity of players, will it have any effect on your...playstyle? What would be your first priority of the day?

My... playstyle, will be effected in a couple ways, but nothing enormous. Obviously it's harder to get good reads on everyone when there are more people to keep track of, but that just means that I'll have to put extra effort into my cases, but also try to avoid tunnelling someone, which is actually rather hard to do because the meta around here hates backing off from any vote, in my experience.

zrk! who would be your ideal team member (totally trustworthy) as town and why?

As town? On the whole forum I'd take Jim Groovester, if he's still around, and in this game I'd want Toaster or Vector, because they are both very experienced.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:00 am »

Ranger:  Fair enough.  Unvote Ranger.

Griff:
Toaster: Which of the newer players would you most like on a mafia team?

Probably you.  From the intro thread, you seemed engaged and interested in learning, so you'd likely make a good ally.

The Soldier:
Griff:
I would have to be very certain. The daykill couldn't be traced back to me (unless theoretical-Wuba got VERY creative), so there's no potential fallout for hitting a townie.

If you're town, why would you be worried about a kill being traced back to you?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2013, 10:06:51 am »

Tiruin:
UI: If you had the power to kill, as a townie, how would you rate your target and pick em out for the kill? Also, if abstaining from the kill, when and why will you do so?
I learned my lesson from Totem Mafia 2. I wouldn't kill someone unless I was damn certain they were scum but they didn't get lynched.

The Soldier:
Urist Imiknorris: What's more valuable: inspects or kills?
Considering there are more townies than scum, I'd say an inspect is. Killing scum is an amazing feeling, but killing town is more likely and means shortening the game for no good reason.

I vaguely remember there being one in an older BYOR - maybe BYOR 9?
That was me, setting Shakerag on fire and getting shot by him in return, then stealing his mafiakill to use on Bookthras. Fun times.

Witch hunt time!

Hapah: Are you or are you not a wizard?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2013, 10:46:11 am »

Toaster:
Is there a reason you and several others seem to be focusing on one player at a time?

Probably you.  From the intro thread, you seemed engaged and interested in learning, so you'd likely make a good ally.
I'm flattered, but I'm afraid that answer doesn't help me. Which is probably the fault of the question so unvote.

Zrk2
Griffonday: How will the abundance of roles effect your use of your own role?
Care to explain why this shouldn't be considered role-fishing?

Griffonday: How will the abundance of roles effect your use of your own role? How will it effect your scumhunting?
I've no baseline to estimate from yet, although I feel I'll try to be more conservative in my play in both cases.  It will also be important to keep in mind the possibility of a 3rd party; considering the size of the game and lack of limits on roles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:40 am »

Griff:  Eh?  I've been addressing several people at once.  While I do try to spread my focus somewhat, I don't see value in spreading it to everyone.

I'm flattered, but I'm afraid that answer doesn't help me. Which is probably the fault of the question so unvote.

What answer would have helped you?

Urist I:  If you're hunting witches why are you asking about wizards?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:23 am »

PFP (Posting from Profession)

Hello everybody! How's everyone doing today?

Urist Imiknorris: You are often very quiet. Is this deliberate?

The Soldier: How effective do you believe random-voting to be?

Zrk2: Are you going to do anything differently to try to not get lynched again?

Ranger: You can use [­br] tags to break up your post into lines.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:15 am »

PFP

Hapah: What are your favorite shenanigans to pull as mafia?
I guess it would be putting my saintly aura to work and looking like the good guy. If I play my normal town game as scum, I usually don't get much focus. Though it's so tedious to do when scum.

Hapah: Are you or are you not a wizard?
omg rolefishing.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 93