Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51661 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:15 am »

A revised king of dragon pass? I'd be fine with that...but there is quite a bit missing before the game could be called that...and I don't think the game is going that route.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:41 am »

I'm not sure its better to "fix" the game than to either make a mod or make a separate game, but definitely magic. Magic makes everything better. And I mean using magic in economic or everyday circumstances. Although magic in combat is cool, too. Also, magical disasters would be cool.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2014, 01:40:24 am »

Hrm, apparently you shouldn't try to upgrade a wooden house to a stone one. What it really means when it says "Upgrade" is "raze to the ground, then get around to rebuilding the new one at some point." Resulting in 5 of the 6 inhabitants starving to death during the time of the year when my villagers need to depend on the stores in their pantries. And during this time, all the other villagers kept ninja-looting the food to put in their pantries which already had about enough to last through another winter. So that's the first big AI thing that annoyed me. The second was related to hauling. As you grow your town, they walk increasingly far to stockpiles or resources to put in stockpiles or use. tbh, it kinda seems like it needs DF's hauling update (assuming I'm not missing something entirely, and they could do something like grab them from markets).

All that said, those are really my only big gripes thus far with the AI. The housing and path AI is quite good. Since they have no skills and are interchangable, they swap jobs based on where they live, resulting in nearly the most efficient commutes possible with the available housing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2014, 02:10:05 am »

According to the FAQ on the dev's website, he ain't adding any more features.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2014, 02:14:15 am »

Placing markets is really important. Much like Impressions games its pretty critical to a successful town. People will prioritize the market over nearby storage barns assuming they are in radius. Markets will draw resources in, I think they can only push them out to houses.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16:20 am »

According to the FAQ on the dev's website, he ain't adding any more features.

This FAQ?

Will there be more features added to Banished in the future?

It’s possible, but undecided at the moment. I have a lot of ideas for expansions but I also want to prototype and make new games as well. The focus after release is going to be on the mod-kit and ports to other platforms. After that’s done I’ll decide what’s next.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:01 am »

A revised king of dragon pass? I'd be fine with that...but there is quite a bit missing before the game could be called that...and I don't think the game is going that route.

Yeah, it's mostly wishful thinking on my part.  There's so much soul to the characters and tribe in Kings of Dragon's Pass, whereas here when your population gets big enough, they're all just faceless numbers.

Will there be more features added to Banished in the future?

It’s possible, but undecided at the moment. I have a lot of ideas for expansions but I also want to prototype and make new games as well. The focus after release is going to be on the mod-kit and ports to other platforms. After that’s done I’ll decide what’s next.

There's already discussions on the main forum about what to put in DLC.  Basically huge arguments for and against combat.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:17 am »

Putting combat in is not going to work. There are many reasons but the main one is that the creator of the game has no desire to do so. Thus the combat will inevitably be disappointing. I hope he doesn't capitulate.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2014, 03:21:44 am »

Capitulate?  Why do you make it sound like it's going to be the end of the world if he adds combat?  It could be a toggleable option so that those who don't want combat can turn it off.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:59 am »

Because its his game and he doesn't want to do it? Because he has his own plans and combat would suck up dev time? Just because you can toggle it doesn't mean it has no effect on the rest of the game.

Why does the game need combat? Its not the end of the world if he doesn't add combat either.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:27 am »

The little story of an unfortunate little village.

A group of settler finaly found a nice valley to begin anew after being outcasted from they old town due to overpopulation, they were the *winner* of the infamous lottery. Slowly working to land, clearing out swaths (patch?) of lands to erect their futur building. All was goind well during the first summer and autumn sadly, they underestimated the amount of work ahead of them and that valley was treacherous due to early winters, wich they did not know....

Good thing they had enough gatherer and hunter to provide enough food to last the winter, they tought food would be the most important. At the begining of the winter they only had 2 house, the forester hut, the gatherer hut and the hunter lodge built. One familly was still homeless and sadly did not make it to the end of winter....

Spring arrived and the new year could start and while grieving they kept going and working the land, they also had their first baby, hope was on the horizon. They kept building and improving the land arround them, builder was working hard and fast to make sure they would have all the necessary workshop to support they slowly growing village.

One villager died to old age today, was the woodsman, Alla took over only... to be killed by the first tree she fell... That was bad luck. The elder said the town was cursed but nobody really listened to them and kept moving forward even tho it wasnt easy. We had a massive shortage of stones, ressource was getting harder to come by, the gatherer and hunter had a little trouble to keep up with stocking the barn.

First trader came and they purchased seeds to start agriculture to be able to sustain the growing village. They kept working hard and non-stop, population was growing steadily, from 20 when they first came they were now 40.... but the horror was awaiting them..... Late autumn of the 8th year a fireplace inside a civilian house caught fire in a way it wasnt supposed to, at least they had a well close... but by the time they could extinguish the fire it had spread to the barn.... burning all the stockpiled food they was supposed to be used for the winter.... slowly they all fell on by one to hunger and cold, all the tools were lost, the extra clothing too, a little was still at the market place but they were bought out and did not last. The whole village died the night of the fire, even tho their doom was coming they kept surviving untill the last one died.

So even tho there is no combat, one badluck or mistake such has building the barn to close to houses can be disastrous if it strike at the wrong time. But good thing i adopted the *loosing is fun*(tm) motto hehehe. I hope you enjoyed this little writing of me, i am horrible at writing but i tried to convey my badluck in a new way for me hehe.

I am enjoying this a bit too much i think, i wil put it on ice untill i can ecord and make some videos. Have a nice day!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:09 am »

I like that fire is just as deadly in this game as in DF.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2014, 08:04:52 am »

I like that fire is just as deadly in this game as in DF.
It spread soo fast before your goon realise Hey its on fire! Then start moving to the well... Also i think only laborers will use the well to extinguish fire.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2014, 08:46:01 am »

Had a quick go. can't really see what's the fuzz about the bad interface. sure, it can be improved and become a bit more colorful to better distinguish the icons and not tire the eyes, but its more than Ok. it serve its purpose and you can access most of the options in about 2 clicks (although, some of the options should be one click away, or at most, a mouse hover and a click)

My town has almost completely starved and i  know exactly why and what i should do in a new town so it wont happen again, i am also pretty sure i got the hang of the simulation enough to have a sustainable and thriving town for a long period if there isn't some completely random event. however, i am very doubtful i will even attempt to do so. when winning is not fun, losing is just a chore.

All in all, this game is an extremely high technical achievement and its developer deserve every praise you can give him, and while i can clearly see what draws people into it and why they love it, my response to the game, blandly staring at me asking why we probably wont play together again: Sorry lad, its not you, its me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:50:25 am by burningpet »

qurvax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »

Well, this game isn't so bad as i was afraid it will be. Reminds me of Settlers. Or "super-easy-mode" Caesar III.

Unrelated lol:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:11:20 pm by qurvax »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28