Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51638 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:44 pm »

Yeah, my population is currently holding steady simply due to silly accidents and summertime food shortages when people happen to be moving into a new house; currently in year 7 or 8. Though at this point I've managed to get my village of 15 adults 10 children producing a surplus of around 2000 food per year.... or approximately a full year's supply extra. People die from mining accidents, people die from fishing accidents, people die from childbirth; people die a lot in general. A nice setup thus far is 4 fields, 1 orchard, and a forestry/gatherer/herbalist/hunter encampment off to the south away from the two settlement centers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:50:41 pm by alway »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:55 am »

I found something interesting : sometimes it seems that smaller fields are more efficient. A max size (15x15) field seems to take at least 2 farmers, and produces up to  1200 food/year inconsistently, while a smaller size (10x10 I think) only used a single farmer and produced 700 food consistently. From my experience the game will often assign more people than actually required, for all buildings, not just farms. So make sure that the buildings with more than 1 guy actually need more than 1.

Right now I'm around year 25 in this settlement (playing at 10x speed with frequent pausing) and everything seems to be going well. I removed the disasters though, and the weather is set to mild (medium start).

The only thing that I find annoying is merchants. They don't come very often, and I had to build my trading post far away from the village because the building is so big that it requires a very specific terrain near a wide enough river. I managed to get cherry seeds and a couple of chickens, but since then it's always the food guy...

The biggest issue is that you need the right merchant to get sheep or cattle for leather and wool (for clothing), and you need also the right merchant to get tools/iron/stone. I don't really like the fact that you can't remove quarries and mines and that they eventually run out of resources. Sounds like at some point if you play long enough, you'd eventually run out of place for more mines and quarries (unless you manage to get those resources from the merchant consistently).

Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far.

Edit : I noticed something weird by the way : for some reason, the cemetery seems to be the main gathering place for idling people O_o
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:38:02 am by Sirian »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:08 am »

I noticed that too. I figured it was either a simulation of mourning, or because it's one of the few un-used open spaces in fairly built-up areas.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:18 am »

I noticed that too. I figured it was either a simulation of mourning, or because it's one of the few un-used open spaces in fairly built-up areas.
This game need plazas, parks or other open public spaces which people could gather around.
Perhaps someone should suggest that to the dev for future updates/DLC/whatever.

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2014, 06:59:57 am »

And gardens, fountains, statues and plop-down tree saplings for decoration; and two-story houses, three-story houses, larger houses (bigger in structure, not capacity), stone bridges, a theater, a tavern, a sheriff and court/jail house, a bank and whatever I forgot.

But I guess this goes for any city-builder, including DF.

As soon as I finished the tutorial I quit the game very excited to begin modding some of this in, but then I found out the contents of the game are hidden inside an impenetrable package file. I got so sad, look at my sad face: :-(

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:32 am »

The dev have stated that modability is planned, the question is only when.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2014, 07:23:16 am »

My main issue with Banished it that even on the flattest map setting large portions of the map are unbuildable.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2014, 09:58:44 am »

I haven't been terribly enamoured with it, I'm just happy a friend of mine gifted me a copy in return for a game I'd gifted him a while ago. I'd be annoyed had I paid for it, as 18 hours in and it just feels astoundingly repetitive with very little to 'work towards' - mainly due to all buildings being available from the start.

Added to that the fact that each character is just a sprite, there's no personality like you'd have with Dwarf Fortress etc...and the game just feels shallow.

Not a fan, hoping the mod community shakes things up.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:37 am »

I still agree with the developer in opening everything up from the start. I'd rather us my own judgement for progression rather than feel "Oh well, now I'm ready to place th- Wait, I can't? Why not? "Need 50 people"? What."
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:04 pm »

I still agree with the developer in opening everything up from the start. I'd rather us my own judgement for progression rather than feel "Oh well, now I'm ready to place th- Wait, I can't? Why not? "Need 50 people"? What."

I completely agree with this.

As for the replayability and stuff? It currently is lacking but playing on hard difficulty certainly makes for a harder and more enjoyable experience in my mind. I honestly would not have bought the game on account of pretty much all city builders getting stale...but there is modding and modding opens up tons of options. I have a hard time buying a single player game that doesnt have modding nowadays.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »

I agree that modding will make or break the long-term survivability of Banished.

Someone suggested adding coinage or just bulk gold as a means of "saving up" by buying stuff from traders until you can afford to buy cattle or seeds, and I have to agree.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

yeah it has all the mechanics and workings of a tiny village in place...not sure the DLC plans but if he really wanted he could expand this a huge amount by adding end game content like coinage as well as parks and other recreation services...

I would like to see happiness be a little more volatile or something...I have never seen my average happiness really go down...during mass die offs it still flots around 4 stars...even without a graveyard

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2014, 12:38:33 pm »

What does health do anyway? I have an average health of 1 and a lot of people have 0 health. Nothing special is happening to them though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2014, 12:52:32 pm »

They die earlier.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »

For such a super hand-holdy tutorial, the game should give you more info. Locking me out of the build menu while waiting for things to build is boring. Let me browse but not place or something. I want to read about a building or click on people as they do things because that should be important and necessary info while you play. Yes, I "demo'd" it. I'll wait for more content. There's not that much to do now.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28