Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51649 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »

Classy.

And yeah, despite what I think about the overall game, it IS quite a technical achievement for one guy. And I'd be interested to see what he does next because he clearly has a lot of talent.

Just not very interested in Banished.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »

Just for reference, if you have 1 food worker per 2 people, and you can't feed everyone, its probably because you put your hunting huts in the middle of your town. Its not like an Impressions game where you could build a town around a spawn point and have boars spawn in what is basically an urban center.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »

I've got a hunting hut that gives 800 food a year, right in the middle of town (barely any trees).  I'm not sure if it's a bug, but the deer seem to just wander by and get killed.  I've also seen hunters that just walk around even when there are no deer, and spawn venison/leather on the ground.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »

Hard to say without a screenshot or video whether its a bug. The 800 food a year I mean.

The other thing does sound weird.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2014, 03:40:17 pm »

I find the interface quite effective, actually.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:47 pm »

I like that fire is just as deadly in this game as in DF.
It spread soo fast before your goon realise Hey its on fire! Then start moving to the well... Also i think only laborers will use the well to extinguish fire.
I agree.  I had a well and one house caught fire.  Almost nobody did anything about it until I took a bunch of people off their jobs.  Then they all carried buckets of water to the burning house.  The fire was contained to that one ruined structure.  Which I replaced for free using a bug, but that is another story.  The contents were lost, regardless, as was all the productivity of the people whose jobs went undone while they were putting out the fire.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:44 pm »

Edit: By the way, I accidentally discovered a method to control births in Banished.  Don't build new houses for people who have newly turned adult.  They will continue to live in other people's houses, even after an apparent marriage has taken place, and no children will be born to any of the four people living there.  I am sure it is a bug, but it certainly was convenient for me.
I'm pretty sure this is intended. If not, there would be no way to control your populations leading to mass starvation cycles every few years.

Would be FUN though :P

I did that cause lack of resources and by year 15th people started to die of old age, I went from 50 to 25 citizens and stopped playing after that as most of the remaining guys where 65+ years old.

Needs a Sinister biome, will try a harsh mountain next.
I was watching for the "no house" symbol to appear over people's heads and time got by me when it never appeared.  In the ninth year or so I realized I had an aging population and no new children for some time.  The timeframe, aging 4 years for every real year, also took me by surprise.  My second town is doing much better.  I split the groups in about the third year, going from five houses to 12.  I think I will hold it there until my log production catches up.  I made a bunch of silly mistakes in the first town, anyway.  I wasted quite a few resources moving buildings because I didn't realize what a pittance of material you got back when you demolished something.

One strange thing I discovered happening was that if you build six houses, one of your original pairs will split.  I thought I saw this happen in the first town but I didn't really know what I was doing.  I had an intermediate town that I did not keep because it only came with one type of crop seed.  Now I wish I had saved it, because maybe it had some kind of livestock instead?  Anyway, I had built six houses, and again one of the couples split.  The funny thing is that the old guy who had split from his mate in the first town eventually, in about year ten, got a new one.  Or maybe he got his old one back.  Three of the oldest had already died by then and I had not kept track.

Another thing that can ruin the food production is the food limit.  I realized there was one in my last year playing the first village, when the fishing wharf got that symbol over it that said it was full.  I wondered how the heck that could happen when I had recently built a second barn.  That was when I noticed the limit, and raised it.  The thing is, I think that limit could make your crop fields give less produce each year without showing any symbol over them.  So if you had a lot of fish in your barn, then you might not be getting the grain and vegetables that your people need to go with the fish.  I noticed in my second village that my yields from the crop fields were poorer than they had been in the first village, with twice the fields.  I went in and doubled that food limit and the crop yield went up dramatically.  I now have it set to 10,000, with two barns.  Little things like this can really ruin someone's experience with a game if they don't bother to read everything that can be displayed on the screen.  There is a reason why I play mostly at 1x speed.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

qurvax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

Pairs, if they do exists, anyway (i very much doubt it) do split for various reasons. One of them - worker get's reasigned to some hellhole like woodsman cabin in the middle of nowhere. AFAIK this doesn't affect birth rate. I.e. single female <40 years old living in a house all by herself will usually give birth, provided there's room for another child left .  Because of such oversimplified game mechanics,  my wife acused me of making "village of pervert's":D

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:21 pm »

After losing a few towns, I finally managed to produce enough food... but still had people starving ! After close inspection, I realized that some houses had hogged all the food.  :o

I guess next time I'll build that big boarding house first, instead of nice individual stone houses... >_<

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »

Will probably pick up this game, but I have one question. Is it possible to make a wretched hive chock full of crime and the worst humanity has to offer?
I LOST THE GAME

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »

No but you can kill everyone rather easily.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2014, 06:59:45 pm »

Will probably pick up this game, but I have one question. Is it possible to make a wretched hive chock full of crime and the worst humanity has to offer?

There are screenshots showing that murders in the town happen when happiness is low enough.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2014, 07:22:35 pm »

I finally managed to get a working settlement, with nearly 100 people. The ratio to keep in mind is something near 50% farmers and 20% foresters/woodcutters, with approximately one woodcutter place per forester lodge. I don't really understand how materials are moved around, so I'm currently trying to see if I can improve my woodcutters productivity by placing them directly near stockpiles close to the lodges.

I also decided to completely abandon tool crafting, because I'm keeping the iron for the buildings. I trade for tools, iron and every basic materials (logs, stone and firewood!) when merchants bring some and for the time being it seems to be working good enough. And by the way, you can trade even if the game is in pause! I'm just sad that the sheep merchant doesn't want to trade my ale for some of his sheep. :( :P

I also nearly lost this settlement to an aging population, so don't forget to build houses regularly, and early, to promote population growth!

Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:46 pm »

I also nearly lost this settlement to an aging population, so don't forget to build houses regularly, and early, to promote population growth!
Still trying to decide if I want to get this now or not.  Can you get people killed on purpose?  Like a way to weed out some of the older people every now and then...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2014, 08:22:53 pm »

Still trying to decide if I want to get this now or not.  Can you get people killed on purpose?  Like a way to weed out some of the older people every now and then...
I don't know of a direct way to kill people, and they die so easily that it may not be really necessary. There may be some ways to cull and kill old people by banishing them to recluse parts of the map, but it's kinda difficult as all characters are exchanging their jobs and sometimes houses depending on the situation.

Hrm, kinda difficult to explain if you did not play the game. You really should "try it" before you decide whether or not you'll buy it. The "demo" version is only 80mb. ;)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28