Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51634 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:04 pm »

Seems that if you build the communal longhouse and a storage house, the villagers store all their stuff in the former.  This is nice except that the counters for average firewood/food doesn't take into account the inventory in the communal longhouse.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/banished-review/#more-190327

RPS's take on it.

Generally, I think they've got the right of it. This is a game for players seeking an unforgiving survival experience. For everyone else, there's not a ton of joy to be found, just endless stress. Kind of like if in DF, you never really got your production chain under control and were always 1 season away from starvation/sobriety. While I like survival and I like sims, that seems not a lot of fun to me. Hopefully they address some of these concerns later on in development, at least to some degree. Not being able to dictate who learns to do what seems to be a crippling flaw in the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

The comments on that article do indicate that other reviewers really seemed to have enjoyed the game though, and that the UI is nowhere near as bad as they make it out to be. Dunno.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

The UI is great.  You're always two key presses away from any building/designation/informational table you need.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2014, 04:33:48 pm »

Hmm. I'm torn. It sounds like it's pretty good, and I might enjoy it, but I also have a feeling I might get it only to have it languish in my library after a single session. That happens far too often these days.

On the other hand, it might be worth getting just to encourage the developer. This is exactly the kind of game I want people to continue making.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2014, 04:44:55 pm »

The comments on that article do indicate that other reviewers really seemed to have enjoyed the game though, and that the UI is nowhere near as bad as they make it out to be. Dunno.

Not saying it's a bad game by any stretch. Just seems like a game tailored to a very narrow aesthetic. There's plenty to like about games that are uncompromising, but Banished kind of sounds like....I dunno, like the Survival equivalent of playing for a high score. RPS laments the lack of feeling like there's a pay off. Which really dissuades me from trying it.

Although I suppose TotalBiscuit basically already addressed this when he compared Anno to Banished.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »

Surviving isn't too hard. I'm only in year 8, and while during winters I periodically run out of food, no one has starved to death. I've set up enough houses for everyone now I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to afford to import cattle because a breeding pair is like 1600 value.

And how do you get different crops? Do you just have to wait until a trader carrying the right seeds shows up?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:44 pm »

Yeah Nenjin, the feeling of no outside thread in the form of bandits/enemy villages diminishes the feeling of survival.  It sucks also that on the main forums, there's a fairly large and vocal group saying that there should never be combat put into the game.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:33 pm »

And how do you get different crops? Do you just have to wait until a trader carrying the right seeds shows up?
I think that's the only way to get more seeds.
One trader wanted to sell me pear seeds valued 2500. I'll stick to my potatoes and chestnuts for now..

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »

Darn, That RPS review really put me off from buying it.

After you beat its "production formula", what makes for its challenges?  are there random events?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2014, 05:53:44 pm »

Darn, That RPS review really put me off from buying it.

After you beat its "production formula", what makes for its challenges?  are there random events?

Seems to be a feedback loop. Being successful causes your population to expand, which puts pressure on your resources, forcing you to adapt your current model to the new demands. Once you reach something approximating equilibrium, population goes up again and the cycle repeats. Other than that, disease sounds like a semi-random factor you have to deal with by having healers and the appropriate building for them.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »

Is there any trade in the game?  Could you have a bunch of blacksmiths and trade goods for food?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2014, 05:59:23 pm »

I've played to year 16 (then it crashed when I saved the game manually - think I still have an autosave though) and so far I'm not seeing the challenge part of this - I've not had a single stressful moment, no crises, no running out of food, no mass deaths (I've had about 25 deaths, but all just either to old age or stonecutting accidents).  I maybe need to try on Hard though, as I started on Medium.

I'm also not sure about longevity as it doesn't take too long (year 10ish for me) to have almost every building type built - all I'm missing at this point is livestock and the various different seed types.  Beyond that it looks like it's just a case of get your pop as high as possible without screwing up, and maybe chase achievements.  Which I suppose isn't too much different from other city builders, but I did find that I have "everything" faster than I would in, say, Tropico, and not with any more difficulty.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2014, 06:12:06 pm »

My main problem is impatience. I keep building too many houses :/

I've also noticed that the bigger you are the less efficient everything gets, making food a real problem.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:33 pm »

This to me looks like a game that doesn't necessarily need an endgame, but just more variety. It would be cool to make a village in a frozen area where they rely entirely on something crazy like whale oil exports to buy food, or an area with extremely dense forest and hordes of murderous wildlife. Maybe I'm just wanting it to be more like DF... I'll probably wait for it to go on sale, but the prospect of modding support sounds great.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28