Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42034 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:24 am »

To me the big improvement of the demo in comparison to the alpha is that you kill monsters faster, the alpha way of monsters hyper resistant that you needed to shoot for too long was just ruining the pace to me (and if you didn't found the damage increasing items, it was quickly becoming boring to spend several minutes killing 3 enemies in world 3).

But a bad point is that indeed the difficulty is way lowered, mostly because the enemies for some reason are even fewer than in the alpha (regular enemies, not the ones spawning by dozen when you open a portal), that's not much fun as the enemy should be more numerous if you can kill them faster to make the game more frantic.

Wouldn't be a problem if it was in the lowest difficulty level ( casual ), but it's unfortunately like this in normal difficulty. It seems the hardcore difficulty has the old spawn rate (though it spawns more advanced enemies)

But the main problem , that was worse in the alpha, is the repetition of the levels.
I completely agree they should have gone to the Spelunky route instead, with some more randomisation because in this state even if there are a few alternatives to some locations when you replay, playing again and again in the same places, same platform, etc ... that's just introducing boredom, never something good for an action game when it is one supposed to be very replayable

EDIT : just noticed there's a 1.0.1 version of the demo released
Risk of Rain Demo v1.0.1:

* Fixed a glitch where the difficulty would reset after beating the 2nd level
    * Fixed a glitch where boss health did not scale correctly
    * Fixed a glitch where the difficulty change on entering a level only lasted one minute
    * Changed coefficients for health and damage scaling on enemies
    * Changed coefficients on bonus spawns on late-game teleporter activations

edit 2 : just gave a quick try to 1.0.1 and it seems the monsters are spawning faster, unless it was just me "lucky" on that specific run, but it's better that way with the enemy dying faster than in alpha.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:24:06 am by Robsoie »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:00 am »

Oh yeah, 1.0.1 has a difficulty curve again! Hooray!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:34 am »

Sweet, I'll have to try the new version. That makes sense, I did get the feeling that the demo was broken and I guess I was right. And I know those items are gone and they are just locked for the beta but still I thought it strange to remove items that were in the alpha. Even with the new update to difficulty I imagine I will still be sticking with the alpha until the closed beta starts.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:19 am »

I think the difficulty is definitively fixed in this version, after defeating a few bosses, i noticed that the difficulty reached impossible, then in the next world, my 800 health points were gone in only a couple of seconds while trying to jump over so many monsters running after me to poison them

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »

That's cool. It's just going to be hard to play the demo and miss out on all the items from the alpha. Which is why I'll be sticking with the alpha. I need my jetpack yo.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 02:04:36 am »

Interesting that there errors were showing up.
The broken difficulty is kind of indicative of high coupling in the games code that makes changes messy and harder to properly test, but this game was made is GameMaker wasn't it? Does GameMaker actually give you enough rope to hang yourself?

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »

Finally got around to trying out the patched demo and it is way more fun. Definitely harder and maybe even a little more so than the alpha now, mostly because in the alpha you have access to many more items and therefore can become practically invincible whereas in the demo now you lack key items like the jetpack, the shackles, the cooldown reducing items etc..  and that basically caps your progress as it becomes hard to keep up after about 45 to 50 minutes or so. Still going to play the alpha until the beta starts but my faith has been restored since they updated the demo. I even unlocked a cool new item that allows you to stop time for 10 seconds. It stops the music too and its' really fun to play around with.

I will say this though, I really do like the music but I don't think it goes well with the game. If the same songs were made in bit music I think it would be a hundred times better. Something like the simple but awesome music in Spelunky. I dunno, the music kinda clashes with the vibe of the graphics to me. If the graphics were HD and looked like Capsized or something then I think it would work but with the pixel sprite based art it feels out of place to me.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »

I've only heard about the game today and I can't remember ever having so much fun with a demo. The kickstarter is ending in just a few hours now. I ended up dumping $25 on it to have access to the beta which will be available when the kickstarter ends
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:56 pm »

So is anyone still playing this? Its 'out' now on steam and I'm enjoying it but would like someone else to co-op a bit with.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »

I would like to do co-op, and will do a giveaway soon, steam seems to be treating the 4-pack I bought as a gift as a single item, not four separate ones.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

I'll be home ~5:30pm EST and will host a multiplayer session

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2013, 05:57:22 pm »

Seems there's no match list, we'll need an IP address to join you. And most likely a way to communicate with you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 08:39:01 am »

Seems there's no match list, we'll need an IP address to join you. And most likely a way to communicate with you.
Just add me on steam, my name there is the same as here.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »

Just add me on steam, my name there is the same as here.

Done
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20