Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42019 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 12:41:56 am »

Anyone get the eye of the wyrm drop? I got one from the wyrm boss on second stage, first time I've seen it in 30 games.  Seems to give me the fire trails where I walk and extra fire damage on hit, not sure if it gives anything else.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:08 am »

It gives you fire trails and a speed boost for a short period of time after a kill.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 07:32:04 pm »

I swear I got extra red damage numbers after I got it.  I died pretty soon after though.  Is there a list of items online somewhere?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:14 pm »

Play on normal and you will start to record the items. Either that, or are you're looking for the stats directly from the code?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »

Anyone find those guys who teleport to you the hardest thing to fight int he game? They get spammed when I fight a boss and if there are multi of them that are out of sync in their teleports then all you can really do is either climb a rope or jump off a cliff so they can't teleport to you. And when all you have is a rope next to s cliff with a giant speed boosted jelly fish on you, well, it simply makes the game impossible to win.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 05:55:23 pm »

The secret to success in this game is to keep moving. Especially when you have a giant jellyfish(es) after you. This game is beatable for sure, if you play it enough you'll basically get to the point to where it's impossible to lose. Unless you do something stupid or lazy.

BTW, new trailer is out and it features new levels and items!!

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »

New demo is out!! No word on the Kickstarter yet but I def want to be in the closed beta. Haven't played the demo yet since I am still at work(thought twice about bringing the 360 pad to work but probably not a great idea) but there seems to be a lot of new additions including some balancing. I wonder if the demo is going to be tougher or easier  :-\

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

Quickly gave a try.
- seems a bit easier as the difficulty bar seems to raise slower, so you kill things faster than before
- 3rd world seems to be removed, it's back to 1st world after completing the 2nd one
- there are more items
- several items are locked and will not be in the game, until they're unlocked (not sure how you unlock them, i unlocked 2 during my test game)
- i don't remember if there was music before, but now there is
edit :
- money is set to 0 when you change of world
- the item log is saved this time
- i started a new game later and noticed the 1st world wasn't the same as it was usually
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:01:12 pm by Robsoie »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 06:07:20 pm »

Hmmm, sucks you lose your gold. I really liked level 3 also, wonder why they nixed it :( Oh well, I'm sure this game will be way different on release anyway. Music is always good though :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 06:10:10 pm »

Yea, there are now two setups for the first world. New one annoys me because the entire bottom left cave is closed off, and that is often a source for good loot. In exchange it has a measly few extra platforms top left.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »

I noticed the gold you lose when moving into another world gives you experience.
I think it is counterbalancing the monsters that you kill quicker (and so give you more gold).

And from what i see in the item log most of the unlockable objects are actually unlockable only in the full version, not in the demo.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »

The demo is a lot easier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The difficulty in the levels gets pretty weird after you play for a while. In the forest level, the price for items gets impossibly high, but the monsters stay at a low level. I could kill the boss in two seconds because it didn't level up, but I couldn't buy anything in that level because the monsters didn't drop enough money.
In the cavern level the monsters get stronger, but the item prices stay low. Fighting 5 magma worms at once is good fun though.
The beach level seems to be sort of in between, but isn't a big challenge really.

But anyways, the big thing seems to be randomized levels! I like it, makes finding the teleporter a bit more interesting if you don't know the exact level layout.
And the music is excellent, too. Can't wait for the beta!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »

Levels aren't randomized, there is just more than one type of each to select from. Once you learn the new layouts you can navigate them quickly.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 11:52:26 pm »

Well just finished(sort of) my first run of the demo. I say sort of because I had to give up after a very boring 60 minutes. I know alpha is alpha and a demo is a demo but man am I disappointed. All I can say is that I hope they keep in the spirit of the alpha and they just made this weird demo because... well that's just it, I really don't know why they would release this demo when the alpha is way more fun and balanced and impressive. I hope they didn't hear all these people whining about how difficult the game was(it really isn't) and decided to pander to this demographic.

I call the demo weird because the pacing is all off and it seems totally unbalanced compared to the alpha. In the alpha the difficulty ramps up and doesn't quit. When you spawn in that ice world for the 6th time in a row, you better get moving because the mobs are spawning quick and many, and they are deadly. In the demo even if the difficulty is hahaha.. it takes ages for enemies to spawn and when they finally do there aren't very many of them. I literally beat my 6th and 7th round WITHOUT EVEN ATTACKING anyone!! wtf? And I mean literally they way people used to use it. You know, literally. I was so powerful I didn't even have to press any buttons   ???

The only time you can get even close to any danger is in the fungal caverns or whatever they are called. It was fun taking on multiple worms but I literally killed one in its first jump up as it was on its way back down. For the most part I was just playing this thinking 'Is this some kind of joke?'. I'm just not sure why the developers would release a demo that had half the content of the alpha(at least half of the items are now gone)and is thousand times easier. Maybe it is all some plot to lure people in-'Come play our cute little retro game, isn't it fun?' then BAM crush their spirits with crazy insane difficulty in the end, sorta what Dungeons of Dredmor did :P All the new items, level design and music is totally awesome and I will be buying into the beta etc.. but I hope they don't screw this game up. Or at least offer mod support  :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 03:14:35 am »

I think they are trying to shove the game into what they pictured it to be. Items aren't gone now, they are locked, and apparently you need to get the full version to make some of them unlock-able. There are actually even more items now. As for the maps, don't know why they did that, got rid of 2 maps, redid one, added a bad one. Maybe they are trying to make the maps more then "different background, different monster skins, same thing". I really wish that they would add randomized maps though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20