Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42013 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »

very epic game. Posting to watch

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 04:14:59 pm »

and it's solid up until your plain shot starts shooting faster

And crit rate since knocking enemies back is extremely vital in this game. If it counted as a "Basic attack" for a few of the item abilities it would still hold up.
It counts as basic attack for everything but: The drill (the one that gives you a piercing attack every 4th attack), the attack speed bonus item (the syringe one).
Suppressive fire does get the benifits from: Golden gun, slow, stun, crit bonus, explosive attacks, electric ukelele, chance of firing missiles per attack, bleed, regen health on attack, and any other abilities that I am missing.

That said, in my longest game, I was getting a bonus to suppressive fire attack rate from somewhere (significantly enough that it was still twice as fast as my regular attack speed even with 19 attack speed bonus items), so it *is* possible that it works with the attack speed bonus item (although the attack speed bonus for the suppressive fire might have been coming from somewhere else).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure if does get a boost form attack speed items, but you can't use it continuously. Even if the cd resets as you use it, there is a tiny gap between uses. As you get more attack speed, that gap increases in terms of DPS, until the basic attack just becomes better.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 08:18:46 pm »

My tips:
Be the commando. Although the miner has greater damage for ~90% of the game as well as knockback on basic attacks vs a wider range of enemies, the fact that he can only attack in melee is a real problem (especially since it conflicts with the healing on attack item), especially VS the golem, magma worm, and the ancient wisp bosses. Now, you can get to level 3 with the miner, but its far tougher, and he is a far worse character.

I've done way, way better with the miner than the commando. Two dodge attacks (and plus the fact that all his attacks can hit multiple targets) make for much, much better survival in my opinion. I rarely use his normal attack, except maybe when I'm fighting the big jellyfish or golems and other things that can't change elevation without getting pushed. Maybe I kill slower because there's some dead time between waiting for his three specials, but it also means I'm moving around a lot more. I just can't manage to shoot and move with the commando.

I'm anxiously waiting to see how far this goes and all the various classes and upgrades.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 05:27:47 am »

I do think the commando should be able to run/shoot better.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

See, I guess that means it's pretty balanced if we can't decide which class is better, haha. I have more fun with the commando but the miner can be just as if not more powerful in the long run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 04:25:35 pm »

See, I guess that means it's pretty balanced if we can't decide which class is better, haha. I have more fun with the commando but the miner can be just as if not more powerful in the long run.

The Commando is outright better, who can't decide who is better?

The real question is if this game is meant to have some sort of balance or not. Afterall if the game is about just doing the best you can with that specific class then the Miner doesn't need any improvements.

If he is supposed to be relatively as good as the Commando then he needs a lot of work.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »

The miner is absolutely as good as the commando, you just have to play him differently and with different strategies. One major plus is that his main attack can hit multiple enemies at a time and he also has more mobility than the commando. Different strokes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:04:42 pm »

Well... sorta' more mobility than the commando. Command's roll is most definitely the best mobility talent currently in the game, but he's only got the one. Miner has three, but one doesn't do much that jump doesn't (in terms of dodging, mind), his forward dash is actually kinda' iffy (that pause at the end is a PitA, it locks you onto a single plane, and it feels kinda' short) and the backdash is, like. It cancels the forward dash in terms of getting arse out of sling :P

Unless you turn away from the direction you want to go but... s'kinda' awkward. Doable, but awkward. Thing I've liked most about the miner so far is the effective doublejump and th'fact that you can whack small things a ledge below you. That's kinda' helpful. And pick-dude does seem to have slightly higher base ground speed, though, which is something. Higher base damage overall feels like, too, but range is a tremendous thing.

One thing I can't seem to be sure of. Does the base pick swing normally have a little bit of range to it? I didn't notice any my first go, but my latest definitely did and I'm wondering if it's inbuilt or was coming from an item (the drill, maybe?).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

One thing I can't seem to be sure of. Does the base pick swing normally have a little bit of range to it? I didn't notice any my first go, but my latest definitely did and I'm wondering if it's inbuilt or was coming from an item (the drill, maybe?).

I think it does have a little more range than the sprites would lead you to believe. I noticed the same thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:31 am »

The miner is absolutely as good as the commando, you just have to play him differently and with different strategies. One major plus is that his main attack can hit multiple enemies at a time and he also has more mobility than the commando. Different strokes.

It really doesn't end up playing that way in game and several enemies entirely negate his "Hit multiple enemies" advantage. It was why I suggested they change the miner to be able to knockback all enemies irregardless of type (except a few bosses, and even then). As well many enemies are designed to fight a melee character and no enemy is stronger against a ranged character then a melee one.

When the game gets really tough you are often relying on the fastest most safe move you can pull off and the Commando's peirce shot is also better. Which is the biggest issues with the Miner is his "Safe attacks" are REALLY unsafe. While the Commando can get some air the Miner will often put himself right into danger.

Also while the Miner's attack is perceptively long, his blowback attack (the 3rd slot ability) is deceptively short ranged.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »

Also while the Miner's attack is perceptively long, his blowback attack (the 3rd slot ability) is deceptively short ranged.

I agree, it should go further and do a little more damage I think.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

well...was struggling to get past stage 3 on normal, so i tried it on casual...lasted 145 minutes...only reason i died was i got lazy and tried to facetank 3 of those jellyfish bosses at once...also found out stage 3 is the last one and it just repeats that one over and over again...but I did find out that max health is 1500...doesn't mater how much you level up or get infusions...that is max...maybe thats for the best as i probably would have been unkillable in that one as i was gaining 8 health per enemy that died and healing for 190
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »

They will probably increase it when they add more content then 3 stages.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 11:47:14 pm »

Sigh I can never get past the first level without hitting hard difficulty first, even if I activate the boss as soon as I see the teleporter...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20