Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Totem Mafia 2 - Town Victory  (Read 46441 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia 2 - Vote Phase 1
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 05:58:07 pm »

I'm currently hopped up on cold medication.  I'll post this evening between dosages, but unfortunately I'm going to be pretty sparse and low-energy for the next couple days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 07:19:35 pm »

My sorry, Tiruin. I put you in Flintus' spot in my memories of DF Mafia 3. At times my brain is like a sieve, and details are water.

Anyway, with only Day 1 to go on, I would investigate players I'd fear most if they were on the other team. Knowing what their options are helps me guess what gambit they might be planning. I trust mechanics and deduction of player actions a bit more than I trust word-choice and bearing when scumhunting.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »

I'm home from work and pretty exhausted, but I'll give this another post before I go to bed.

Leafsnail: Solid answer. Unvote. But why did you vote Dariush?

Solifuge: I had a question for you.

Vector: Sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon. Also, if you could inhabit the mind of any of the other players in this game for a day, who would you choose and why?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »

I voted Dariush because he hadn't posted yet and a naked vote can give a more revealing answer than a generic question.

Speaking of which Dariush how are you going to go about finding scum in this game.

Heyo Leafsnail. What are the weakest 3 scumtells you'd still be willing to base a vote on. What are the 3 strongest tells? And are you aware of any scumtells you've exhibited in the past?
I'll base a vote on no tells at all if I think it could be a useful one (eg in RVS).  If you mean "my vote at the end of the day" then the weakest are:
- Lurking: Only a slight scumtell since town players can get lazy, I'll vote based on it if the game's activity is falling to pieces
- Getting needlessly angry over nothing: Is associated with scum but people get angry over nothing all the time in this game giving this one a lot of noise.  I'd vote on it in the absence of anything better
- Giving up: I do think it has a slight scum association but it's not a very big one

Good scumtells:
- Genuine active lurking (keeping attention away from yourself)
- Weird interactions with flipped mafia members (eg avoiding questioning the mafia member even though they pressed townies over similar things)
- Making up implausible new justifications for an action after being challenged on it

I mainly exhibit scumtells when I need to get something done and just surviving won't be enough to win the game.  This is most noticable in Prince's Guard where I ignore part of the ruleset and intentionally avoid answering a question related to that part of the ruleset, because I needed the plan to work for me to win.

The other major example I can think of is in the most recent BYOR, I responded to one of Toony's questions with the third scumtell on my list (made up justifications).

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:59 pm »

Vector:
Toaster: Probably because Solifuge is the one of us who did something arguably scummy (not voting with his RVS question), rather than Ford or I, who hadn't posted.

The correct answer is somewhere between arbitrary choice and I felt his question was the most "important."  I have a pretty high tolerance of people not following RVS standards as long as what they're doing is useful.

I can Unvote him now, at least.

Dariush:
Toaster, an exceptionally creative question.

A snarky retort.  Also, I sure didn't.

Tiruin:  Where do you think you're going with this post?  Which one is scummier over it?

Deathsword:  Would you rather find scum D1 through a particularly clever RVS question or through a series of logical deductions?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2013, 11:47:33 pm »

Missed seeing the question after the line in your post, Ford. My bad.

Solifuge: What would you say are your best qualities as a player? How would you say you rate in skill among the players of this game? Lastly, are there any games you are particularly proud of your performance in?

I'm a decent Mafia player, though my history has been inconsistent- as I'm sure Toaster, Leafsnail, or Vector would agree.

As a player, I've got a lot of white-matter in my brain, and a decent ability to empathize with different perspectives, which makes me a pretty good liar. This also makes me good at connecting details, which leads to a stronger late-game performance (when I have a lot of material to work with) than in the early-game investigation stages. My faults include a tendency to think and play emotionally, and to have a hard time letting go once I latch on to people. I'm more aware of that now than I've been in the past, though.

I'm honestly proud of most of my games, but pride is one of my faults. I was happy to pull off a Serial Killer Win against a Cult without ever performing a kill. My very-near-successful Epic Falseclaim Gambit is a close second.

Solifuge is granted MVP award for this game, and is invited to join any and all Dwarf Fortress Mafias henceforth.

Nicest words The King Of The Mafia ever said to me.

But yeah, hopefully that gives you a better idea of who I am as a player. Enough with writing about how awesome I am, though; gotta sleep. Going to be helping out with some moving tomorrow through the weekend, but I'll be back before the deadline.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:00 am »

Oh gods that class took forever. Just this little post tonight, but I'll be checking in tomorrow during work.

UI: Still waiting on your reply. (Is UI okay? I forget who doesn't like having their name shortened)

Deathsword, Vector: I believe each of your questions have been answered. Can you answer mine, now?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2013, 02:07:55 am »

Well, I'm on drugs again, because homework was more important to get done during my brief window of lucidity.  But I'm here, and conscious!  Anywhoooo, here's mah post.

Tiruin: Fair, Unvote.

Unvote, Dariush.
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE LS

Oh look, a jester.

Vector: Sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon. Also, if you could inhabit the mind of any of the other players in this game for a day, who would you choose and why?

Solifuge.  He probably knows me better than anyone else here, and therefore is far, far better at manipulating and lying to me than anyone else.  I don't think I've ever caught him playing scum, so confirming his alignment would be the most helpful in the long-run.

Got my eyes on you, Soli >:(

-snip-
1. Favorite scumbuddies from the current player roster
What do you hope to gain from this question? (If you want to wait until after she replies, that's fine)

What's right in asking others who they prefer on their team when the mod puts the final pick?

Tiruin seems to have cool nerves, as I learned from last game--so I needed another strategy than vote-and-harass, something more subtle.  There's a couple reasons for the use of this particular question, though.

Doing slightly scummy things towards the very beginning of the game has dividends in terms of drawing attention and reads, and speeds up the scumhunting process considerably; it invites other people to pay attention to you, and provokes strong, often unguarded reactions.  Hence asking a question someone had already asked.  To the best of my knowledge, a couple of experienced people doing this (so that it's controlled, and doesn't just lead to a billion mislynches) is the best way to get a strong D1.

But also, this particular question is a good litmus test for a number of things.  The number of scumbuddies a person lists can be very telling; in games of standard sizes (9, 11, 13, etc.) it's an indicator for amount of experience, so that you can sometimes figure out just how familiar the person is with Mafia; in other games it can reveal the number of people on the scumteam.  And hell, I know from experience that it can make inexperienced people flip out, so I might get lucky despite previously gathered data.

That, and it's an early way to get reactions on people... because the only person you'd have a real read on this point would be a scumbuddy, so sometimes you can tell that they talk about that person a little bit differently.

*shrug*

Like I said, it's a good question.

Ford: If you could pick, what players would you like on your team? Why?
All of them. But if I can't have them all, then just the strongest ones.

Sounds kind of nervous, don't you think?

And why do you consider them to be the strongest ones?
Vector - My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember him completely dominating in the first game I ever read on this forum. After a long absence, he popped into Leafsnail's game near its end, caught onto NQT's BS and tunneled him into oblivion.
Leafsnail - Won in an 'unwinnable' situation in Prince's Guard with a remarkable bluff. He has definite skill at analyzing a situation, has an excellent poker face and is good at eliciting reactions.
Toaster - Toaster seems to always manage to come off as town, no matter the game he's playing in. That's probably because he does a good job at staying calm and collected while he's pointing out the flaws in your argument.
Solifuge - Was based almost entirely on this rather high-powered game, where he held on to the end and in which (at least to me) Toaster came off as the weakest player. (unless you count Webadict, who really could have played his hand better). But now that I think about it, he's the player in this game that I know the least about, and I don't really have much more than a general impression that he's good.

Indeed. . . these are all fair assessments, but there is something interesting here.  Why are so many of the talents you've outlined for your team-members deceptive, Captain Ford?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2013, 02:26:34 am »

Vector: I see. Unvote.

Hapah: Vector's repetition was more interesting than the meh RVS question itself. And yeah, UI is okay.

Captain Ford: Vector's question had an initial condition. Otherwise, they were the same question.

Solifuge: webadict is no longer the King of the Mafia. Leafsnail is.

Tiruin: Doesn't your definition of indistinct basically cover any BYOR ever?

Dariush: How do you plan to win this game?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:52 am »

Tiruin:  Where do you think you're going with this post?  Which one is scummier over it?
Commentary, sometimes people see other's posts and then offer up a remark in response to that post. Which one? It's too early to base what's scummier over it, but I was looking at the reaction. Want to see what Dariush thinks about it though.

Tiruin: Doesn't your definition of indistinct basically cover any BYOR ever?
Yep, but here we could at least infer something more...specific, given that we're talking about animal symbolism. But yes. That covers it.

Anyway, with only Day 1 to go on, I would investigate players I'd fear most if they were on the other team. Knowing what their options are helps me guess what gambit they might be planning. I trust mechanics and deduction of player actions a bit more than I trust word-choice and bearing when scumhunting.
So which means no specific person at the moment, right? Who do you fear, and what qualities do they have? Given the type of game - what kind of role matches that fear regardless of playstyle?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2013, 07:11:34 am »

PFP Question answering only

Unvote for now.

Deathsword, Vector: I believe each of your questions have been answered. Can you answer mine, now?
Because I've been so far in a single game with Ford, and knowing his opinions on other players allows me a better read of him.

Deathsword:  Would you rather find scum D1 through a particularly clever RVS question or through a series of logical deductions?
I'd prefer to use logical deductions to find the scum, since a clever scum player might not be exposed by a RVS question.

If I missed something, let me know.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2013, 07:15:53 am »

Get well soon Vector :D

PFP Question answering only

Unvote for now.

Because I've been so far in a single game with Ford, and knowing his opinions on other players allows me a better read of him.
In which way though? His interactions with others, or how you think he'll react to statements?

I'd prefer to use logical deductions to find the scum, since a clever scum player might not be exposed by a RVS question.
I could ask - why not both - but instead: given the set up of using either a watch or a track on someone you suspect is scum judging purely by how they did their day game, what would you do and why?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

Hapah, I don't know you, but I don't like the passivity of your questions and answers, and how courteously you're phrasing things.

If you were you in my shoes and had no other experience playing with you, do you think it's fair to suspect this as a D1 Scumtell?

What, are we doing Elections now?

I don't think Leafsnail ever had anything nice to say to me in Mafia. Long live King Webadict!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:44 am »

What, are we doing Elections now?

I don't think Leafsnail ever had anything nice to say to me in Mafia. Long live King Webadict!
Relevant.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2013, 10:46:55 am »

So which means no specific person at the moment, right? Who do you fear, and what qualities do they have? Given the type of game - what kind of role matches that fear regardless of playstyle?

Toaster has been a good ally, and a worthy foe before. I don't know if we've ever knowingly been on a team, so I don't have a great view into his head. With him, I've generally had to take shots in the dark, unless I can get some hard evidence.

I'm cautious of Leafsnail, because much as sculptors shape clay, he's very good at working with people as a medium. Being that he's at least roughly as cocky as I am, and has been known to make a few predictably bold moves I can look out for, I'm more comfortable around him than I might be otherwise. He likes his bragging rights... to which I can relate.

Vector, however, scares me. Too, too controlled and stone-faced. Even in rage, it's a managed rage, honed and directed as a tool against other players. Good at managing people's buttons too. So basically don't be scum please? Or be a Cult Leader and recruit me please? <3 <3 <3, etc.?

I don't know the other players here well enough to know what to look out for yet, which presents it's own kind of caution. As role powers go, note Meph said they'd be more powerful than usual, and no matter what the ability, it can be dangerous in skilled hands. Whatever the case, kills of various flavors are probably the most dangerous power, because they can change the tempo of the game quickly, and in unpredictable ways. In the hands of a loose cannon, this can easily cost the game.

Relevant.

Ah well, Webadict. You will always be a King in my heart.

...more specifically, the reigning monarch in the sovereign territory of my Aorta.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30