Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Totem Mafia 2 - Town Victory  (Read 46434 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia 2 - Vote Phase 1
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »

Vector: Why did you reuse Deathsword's question?

Because it was the right question to use.

Vector:
-snip-
1. Favorite scumbuddies from the current player roster
What do you hope to gain from this question? (If you want to wait until after she replies, that's fine)

I'm waiting until both Deathsword and I get our answers, and then I'll give my exposition.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:27 am »

Ford: If you could pick, what players would you like on your team? Why?
All of them. But if I can't have them all, then just the strongest ones. Based on what I've seen of them, I'd pick Vector, Toaster, Leafsnail and Solifuge as front runners.

Why? Because I'd rather the weakest players be on the other team.

Ford:  Do you feel ready for your first Meph game?
Second Meph game. I was in Paranormal 22. Remember the Fordageddon?

And yeah, this time I do.

Unless I missed something, that wasn't the same question.

Leafsnail: If you could pick three players who were guaranteed to not be scum, who would they be and why?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52:31 am »

Solifuge:  Welcome back!  Do you still endorse the Solifuge Strategy?  Also, what have you learned in your absence from the game?

The "Solifuge Strategy" from that link is sort of a bastardization of what I'd tried to do. In situations where I had nothing to go on, I liked to either try something no one else was doing, or something I hadn't tried before. The intent was to create a different perspective for myself, and see what worked and what didn't. I don't really have a set method for Day 1, and doing the random-vote-and-ask-a-question thing feels like stealing. Roads less traveled, and all that.

For the other question, I've learned a year's worth of things with little relation to Mafia. I can totally provide a more specific list of knowledge gained upon request. Soapboxing is my superpower.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 06:00:32 am »

Solifuge... O_o
 <- Happy for old players.

PFP

Tiruin, two questions.

1. Favorite scumbuddies from the current player roster
2. What did you learn from your most recent completed game, and how will you apply it to this one?
Favorite scumbuddies:
> Toaster, for his orange avatar. Also, how he words his posts given that he's diplomatic until he's really sure - mostly works on gut feelings.
> Solifuge, just because I'm basing all this on that one DF-themed game where he lied till the...confusing end.
> Vector, you. For your...playing character and how you're able to persuade others. Or assert yourself.
> Hapah. I've never seen him play as scum...always been my rolemodel on how to issue a negotiable case and catch one scum/mislynch for free.

Next. Recent completed game? Mafia and Masons right?
> Given the idea of "Mafia have a limited NK; Masons and town - vanilla mode, latter = NK-immune, no scumchat," it is very much able to perform WIFOM on the scum :P Something I loved. Bad thing, game lasts for a really extended amount of time - probably due to the 1 week limit, but still, gave much insight on how players play Mafia. Mostly based on the idea of Roleflip -> development through exclusion of scum variables -> Power to the town. It's like an enhanced vanilla game focusing on when to use your powers or when to use wordplay.

Though...Trying to rouse the general ire in catching scum = always bad. Associating voting patterns in cyclic reasoning - also bad.

How I'm applying any of that here is just like before: apply experience from what you've learnt. Here, we've something akin to "Choose your own powers-associated-with-the-symbolism-of-your-animal" Mafia. So I'm pretty much sure that people will begin exploiting their powers as they wish, the lack of a rolelist or how Meph did the roles leads to more speculation, but its all good. Meaning: Scumhunt as usual.

Sorry if this seems jumbled up in ideas, rushing this because really busy >.> Exams. Coming.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 06:08:23 am »

Ford: If you could pick, what players would you like on your team? Why?
All of them. But if I can't have them all, then just the strongest ones. Based on what I've seen of them, I'd pick Vector, Toaster, Leafsnail and Solifuge as front runners.

Why? Because I'd rather the weakest players be on the other team.
And why do you consider them to be the strongest ones?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:24 am »

Oh, adding this in ahead of time:

I may change a person's vote to another person during a vote phase. Said swap doesn't show up till the final vote count. If the person changes their vote, it'll have no effect. Can only be used once per vote phase.

Why I'm saying this ahead of time? So people will have a heads up of how things may go down, and in general, just to see what'll happen regarding everyone else's actions.

Vector

Because it was the right question to use.
What's right in asking others who they prefer on their team when the mod puts the final pick?

Dariush: Will you use your powers of rage in pressuring others this game? Regardless, given the set up of random and indistinct roles, how will you approach a massclaim?

Ford: Why did you ask that question about lactic acid? Regardless, why do you prefer strong players on your team? Anything up with that, and in terms of DS' words - how are those people strong in your eyes?

Hapah: Why are you concerned about UI voting Vector during the RVS - what does that entail? Also, in a hypothetical situation where you'd have a choice between tracking or watching a player at night, what would you choose and why?

Leafsnail: I've seen a bit of how you perform with wordplay, how do you prefer addressing other's posts and opinions if scum and if town? Straight to the point, assertively or...what? Also, your pick is Hapah of all people, why is that?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »

I'd say I tend to interact with them a little less, but I'm a little more critical of them, if that makes any sense. I try to be critical because it's much harder to be seen as buddying that way; a handful of pointed questions get you a lot farther and makes a larger impression on people than a ton of softballs. There's usually not as much follow-through, though. This is how I'd like to act with scumbuddies, anyway.

Of course, actions speak louder than words, so you could check the last BYOR for how I interacted with Toaster (and you D1).
Good answer.

Leafsnail: If you could pick three players who were guaranteed to not be scum, who would they be and why?
Vector, myself, Toaster.  Probably the strongest players in this game, and without any suspicion against us we would probably be able to hunt down scum fairly easily.

I may change a person's vote to another person during a vote phase. Said swap doesn't show up till the final vote count. If the person changes their vote, it'll have no effect. Can only be used once per vote phase.

Why I'm saying this ahead of time? So people will have a heads up of how things may go down, and in general, just to see what'll happen regarding everyone else's actions.
I don't think you needed to claim this, but I believe you and this at least flags a potential lylo breaker.

Leafsnail: I've seen a bit of how you perform with wordplay, how do you prefer addressing other's posts and opinions if scum and if town? Straight to the point, assertively or...what? Also, your pick is Hapah of all people, why is that?
I try to make responses as short and to the point as possible to avoid slowing down the game or making people lose interest.  This is true whether I'm scum or town - the difference is that as scum I may use the responses to shield teammates or try to achieve ulterior goals.

I picked randomly.

Unvote, Dariush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:10 pm »

The Counting Stones
Captain Ford: Deathsword
Dariush: Leafsnail
Leafsnail: Captain Ford
Solifuge: Toaster
Tiruin: Vector
Urist Imiknorris: Hapah
Vector: Tiruin, Urist Imiknorris

Vote Phase ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2013, 01:05:55 pm »

Dariush: Will you use your powers of rage in pressuring others this game? Regardless, given the set up of random and indistinct roles, how will you approach a massclaim?
'Indistinct' roles? What do you mean?

And the rage isn't really a power as much as it is a state of mind.

Unvote, Dariush.
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE LS

Hey there Dariush. Why do you prefer cult scum to regular scum?
Because it's been like eight months and four days since the last game with a cult.

Toaster, an exceptionally creative question.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41:38 pm »

'Indistinct' roles? What do you mean?

And the rage isn't really a power as much as it is a state of mind.

Unvote, Dariush.
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE LS

Wait...LS, why'd you vote Dariush with no reason or statement behind it?

Blatant OMGUS is blatant.
Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2013, 01:42:36 pm »

EBWOP:

Indistinct - no basis of any role, meaning that I'm betting most roles are a mixture of various sorts and traits ascribed to the animal submitted.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:29 pm »

Heyo Leafsnail. What are the weakest 3 scumtells you'd still be willing to base a vote on. What are the 3 strongest tells? And are you aware of any scumtells you've exhibited in the past?

Solifuge... O_o

It's good to meet you on the field of Mafia again too. And yeah, I can still lie like that when I need to. Rest assured, though; nowadays I only do it for good causes! :D

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »

PFP

Deathsword:
Vector - My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember him completely dominating in the first game I ever read on this forum. After a long absence, he popped into Leafsnail's game near its end, caught onto NQT's BS and tunneled him into oblivion.
Leafsnail - Won in an 'unwinnable' situation in Prince's Guard with a remarkable bluff. He has definite skill at analyzing a situation, has an excellent poker face and is good at eliciting reactions.
Toaster - Toaster seems to always manage to come off as town, no matter the game he's playing in. That's probably because he does a good job at staying calm and collected while he's pointing out the flaws in your argument.
Solifuge - Was based almost entirely on this rather high-powered game, where he held on to the end and in which (at least to me) Toaster came off as the weakest player. (unless you count Webadict, who really could have played his hand better). But now that I think about it, he's the player in this game that I know the least about, and I don't really have much more than a general impression that he's good.

Tiruin:
Ford: Why did you ask that question about lactic acid? Regardless, why do you prefer strong players on your team? Anything up with that, and in terms of DS' words - how are those people strong in your eyes?
1. Because the idea of dissolving people in milk turns me on. >.>
2. Because strong players help my team win, and like I already said, I'd prefer that the weakest players be on the other team.
3. See above.

"Anything up with that, and in terms of DS' words" -- could you clarify? Anything up with what, exactly? It doesn't seem to relate to what comes before or after it in any meaningful way.

Also, how do you plan on using your day power now that you've claimed it? Is that at all different from how you would use it if you'd kept it a secret?

Solifuge: What would you say are your best qualities as a player? How would you say you rate in skill among the players of this game? Lastly, are there any games you are particularly proud of your performance in?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:52 pm »

Vector - My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember her completely dominating in the first game I ever read on this forum. After a long absence, she popped into Leafsnail's game near its end, caught onto NQT's BS and tunneled him into oblivion.
Leafsnail - Won in an 'unwinnable' situation in Prince's Guard with a remarkable bluff. He has definite skill at analyzing a situation, has an excellent poker face and is good at eliciting reactions.
Toaster - Toaster seems to always manage to come off as town, no matter the game he's playing in. That's probably because he does a good job at staying calm and collected while he's pointing out the flaws in your argument.
Solifuge - Was based almost entirely on this rather high-powered game, where he held on to the end and in which (at least to me) Toaster came off as the weakest player. (unless you count Webadict, who really could have played his hand better). But now that I think about it, he's the player in this game that I know the least about, and I don't really have much more than a general impression that he's good.

Tiruin:
1. Because the idea of dissolving people in milk turns me on. >.>
2. Because strong players help my team win, and like I already said, I'd prefer that the weakest players be on the other team.
3. See above.

"Anything up with that, and in terms of DS' words" -- could you clarify? Anything up with what, exactly? It doesn't seem to relate to what comes before or after it in any meaningful way.

Also, how do you plan on using your day power now that you've claimed it? Is that at all different from how you would use it if you'd kept it a secret?
Well, in the case of an indecisive vote, I'd shift it in favor of the majority - also, first time playing as a vote shifter so...yeah. Its not all that different except now, everyone knows. Scum may potentially use it to their advantage somehow, thinking out loud here. If I'd have kept it a secret...I'm not pretty sure how that would help my case, its has very specific conditions to match to be able to work. This would also be turned by scum- though they would also have to check on who is the vote switcher. Also, last vote count - pre-day end. So...I'd have trouble keeping it with Meph's standards due to timezones. Hence me additionally claiming it ahead of time. :/

@Anything up... - that was just going along the line of DS' thinking there.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Solifuge... O_o

It's good to meet you on the field of Mafia again too. And yeah, I can still lie like that when I need to. Rest assured, though; nowadays I only do it for good causes! :D
Yay, you...met me before? Anywhoo, given the case of investigating people, who would you mark as your target? And why?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »

PFP

I've got an NFP class after work so I won't be able to post until late tonight
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30