Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210600 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1230 on: June 16, 2014, 05:56:32 am »

Well yeah, those are allies planes.  Apparently I was premature in thinking that something would fucking work.  It's still the same shit as always.  Whatever advantage I have unless it's completely overwhelming ends in a head-on which ends in wing damage which ends in me dying.  I can't stomach the thought of grinding through a different faction though.  I can't translate anything but the most overwhelming advantage into a kill.  I can't ranslate a defensive position into an offensive position because magic fucking mouse aim makes a tenth of a second of guns on me fatal.  I can't translate anything into anything.  This is the only game I've ever played that I couldn't get at least passably good at.

Well that's not true.  I can take a biplane out and get a million kills but that hardly counts.

Don't worry at least you only get wing damage while my planes all get their wings snapped off.
Also i already lerarned (at least with american planes) that you CAN"T turn a defensive position into a kill unless your opopnent is an absolute idiot.
I mean seriously i was tailed by B-25s and couldn't shake them because american fighters have all the agility of a brick flaps or not.
This of course means they only thing you can do in them is getting as high as you can withour passing out from the overdose and just dive at people.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 16, 2014, 07:26:21 am »

I've tried a few. Might give Rise of Flight a try, seems like it might be easier to get into being biplanes.  I just have a lot of trouble using a joystick.  I played Il-2 Sturmovik but that was hard to figure out.  It doesn't help that I had basically no clue how air combat worked when I played, if I give it another try things might go differently.

DCS mustang could also be cool if I wanted to go hardcore, though I'm not sure how much combat's in that one since it's apparently only Mustang.
Shoes...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:53 am »

Spoiler: Also this (click to show/hide)

I remember the days of super-OP Beaus. They were kind to me. /Britbong player
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:51 am »

Those were interesting times.

I also seem to remember some crazy-ass Bf 110 damage models.  I distinctly remember killing multiple opponents in arcade mode with no elevator control.
Shoes...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:42 am »

Wait, Beaufighters aren't OP anymore ? It's like saying Pe-3's are fragile...

Also this talk of Bf 110... is it just me but people seem to think the Bf 110 is good... I remember it not only turning like a schoolbus (well, German heavy fighter) but very shitty firepower for a heavy fighter.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:23:23 am by Naryar »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 18, 2014, 10:07:48 am »

I think that it has always turned like a bus, and it should always turn like a bus, atleast from a historical standpoint.
A fast bus, but a bus all the same.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 18, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »

I remember its firepower being pretty strong, but twin engine heavy fighters are like that.  The moment you try turning you're gonna hate your life.  But, kind of counterintuitively until you consider the physics behind it, very heavy planes are very fast in a straight line.  They're really meant for taking out bombers and such, not for knife fighting fighters.
Shoes...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 18, 2014, 01:47:02 pm »

I remember its firepower being pretty strong, but twin engine heavy fighters are like that.  The moment you try turning you're gonna hate your life.  But, kind of counterintuitively until you consider the physics behind it, very heavy planes are very fast in a straight line.  They're really meant for taking out bombers and such, not for knife fighting fighters.

Such as? Some heavy fighters such as Bf 110 early on, Mosquito and Ki-45 were fast-ish and agile-ish compared to the competition but not enough to survive in daylight. And they were much costlier to build than single engine fighters. Discounting some of the few battles where they did well, the heavy fighters worked only as night interceptors or intruders as endurance and having more than 1 crew member for roles such as radar operator were useful without lack of speed or agility being liabilities. FAA also had single engine heavy fighters, Fulmar and Firefly, for its carrier fleet. They were both rather awful thanks to the the weight of the 2nd cockpit.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 18, 2014, 04:02:55 pm »

I really love the concept of the heavy fighter, and generally any aircraft with big guns or turrets. But the poor buggers lost their one and only advantage the moment drop tanks became reality. Since now you could have a regular fighter with the range, speed and a large part of the firepower of a heavy fighter, but at only a part of the cost in both manufacture and maintenance.

After that their only real use was as light bombers or CAS, but some fighters could do even that :S

And honestly, the heavy fighters in WT are generally only good at gibbing bombers and any idiot bold enough to attack you head on (and there's plenty of those thankfully). The only times you can actually survive someone getting on your ass is if you luck out and your gunner kills or cripples him fast, you luck out and a teammate helps you or you're high enough to just dive away from the bastard.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 18, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »

Third option is that you can just gun it and hope your huge, rugged airframe soaks enough damage that your superior horsepower pulls you away from his effective firing range.

Depending on how buffed the turret gunners are at the moment, your turret can also be stupidly deadly sometimes, even the wimpy little 7-8mm guns.

Adequate energy usage can also give you an edge. Even heavy fighters can turn surprisingly fast under the right circumstances, although they seem to have slowly been nerfing that for a while now.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

Decided to give the US a try since Germany is just going to get worse the farther into the tree I go.  Of course, the US is a teamwork-centric tree with planes that become exponentially more effective when used in groups.  Since nobody I know plays (I have never seen anyone but me online in the B12 squadron) and teamwork doesn't exist in war thunder, this is more and more seeming like a waste of time. 

Getting a bit better at Rise of Flight though.  I can consistently take down AI fighters in dogfights though I'm still not very good at flying the thing. 
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:28 pm »

The US works without the normal concept of 'teamwork', actually, which is why most people play them. The planes aren't the best at any one thing, but anyone with a basic understanding of energy can fly them well, because they're jack-of-all-trade planes with plenty of guns, plenty of ammo, a rugged airframe, really good energy retention and half-decent turn characteristics. The Germans can out-climb them, the British and Japanese can out-turn them, but only the Russians can usually out-fight them and not a single plane can outlast them.

Also, B-17s. They live up to their nicknames, even when bombers are in a nerf phase.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 18, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »

I havent wandered over and spammed add friend thing yet, have I?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 18, 2014, 06:32:06 pm »

In any event, I am on now, so feel free to scream at me.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:50 am »

I've already contacted Gaijin Technical Support about this issue, they haven't been able to help me. Basically the problem is, I go on a lobby, everything's fine, I go inside the game, and all of a sudden there's BAD NETWORK CONNECTION, I can't return to hangar, I can't leave the plane, I can't do anything basically, I can't type, nothing, it's not a freeze, I can move the plane just fine, but obviously it isn't multiplayer because it says BAD NETWORKC ONNECTION, so every other player is just flying straight. Here are things I have already tried:
I did allow War Thunder on the Firewall
I did allow War Thunder on the Antivirus
I did try to change servers, but none work.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 163