Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210510 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »

http://warthunder.com/

First of all, this isn't a simulator.  You've got a plane, but if anyone's played World of Tanks they know what I mean.  You press 'shift' to accelerate and 'ctrl' to decelerate.  In mouse mode, you just point and the plane will bank and turn for you.

Granted, it's still not the classic 'space fighter shootem'up' cockpit view games.  As you raise altitude, you loose speed, leveling off can regain speed, and descending gains speed fast.  Gain too much speed and your pilot starts to black out from the g-forces, tunneling your vision down to a small cone in the center and going black and white.  Apparently go too fast and your wings can break off!  Go too far straight up and your engine can easily stall.  Take a banking turn too hard and wind up in a mountain.  Despite the casual elements of gameplay, flying can take a little to get used to, and learn how not to flop around awkwardly, or outright fall out of the sky.

It's also got some unusual ways to handle combat.  For instance, during combat you can be damaged and lose ammo (especially bombers, for both), but landing at a friendly airfield will allow you to repair, lower the fatigue from your crew (all those sharp turns and g-forces take their toll), and re-arm, which takes time depending on your crew levels.  However, sometimes you run into trouble!  I had my fuel tank hit one time, and suddenly ran out of fuel in the middle of a fight, so I decided to flee, hoping I had enough remaining fuel to make it back to the airstrip - I didn't.  I looked quickly, and found a stretch of road through a thick forest, so I swoosh down as best I can, and break my landing gear during a crash landing.  This provided me with experience points - for surviving a dangerous situation where I'm flying and all that's left is my gliding power.  I bail out of the plane and grab a new one.

There's also more than just planes.  Currently during a match, you can find ships and ground armor, and be tasked to destroy them.  They'll shoot back, and rarely kill but very often give a flak burst on your side and scare the hell out of you.  So, Assault planes can use the cannons and dumbfire missiles to smash them, fighters can attempt machinegun runs, and bombers of course can drop 400 pound carpet bombs.  Similarly for warships, you can attempt runs, dive bombings, torpedo bombings, or just suicide into their faces, as I tend to end up doing.

Oh yeah, also naval fights.  Good luck landing on the carrier!

As for the rest?  If you've played World of Tanks, you know the deal.  6 different nations (USA, Britain, USSR, German, China, Japan... I think...) and you gain experience points into your player level AND what nation you're using.  The higher your national rank, the better down the tech tree you can buy, once you've bought the previous plane.  There's also a handful of 'reserve' fighter planes, your no-cost-free-repair noob frames.  One thing that's nice, however, is that you gain crew points to spend.  Instead of 'the crew is better' you get skill points and decide if you want a better pilot or gunner - for that matter, you decide if you want the pilot able to see enemies from a further distance or if you want the pilot to withstand g-forces better.  Each crew has 5-6 different attributes to rank up independently, many of them on very long tracks.  Like gunner accuracy goes up to 50, and 3rd rank costs 2 skill points instead of 1.  So it can take a long time to fully rank up a single plane.  Fortunately, you get more than 1 skill point per match, if you're doing decently.

There's also lots of ways to earn exp.  Shooting planes, of course (enemy planes!) but also destroying enemy tanks or water targets, capturing runways by landing on them, even landing and taking off successfully will earn you a little exp!  Being critically damaged and making a 'saving landing' will earn you as well, and probably lots of other things I haven't discovered yet.  Unlike World of Tanks that merely encourages rushing and/or sitting behind a wall, War Thunder prompts the player to act as they normally would during a fight and rewards them for being active.

There's also development plans for allowing players to own and use naval vessels and land vehicles, although in open beta all they've got is airplanes.  Still, there's swap buttons that don't work yet, so that's promising.

http://warthunder.com/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:28:00 am by Girlinhat »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thuder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

I'm installing this as soon as I get home! Love a good semi-arcade semi-realistic plane game!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »

That's about what it tries.  "Arcade game, but don't push the throttle too hard, we're not THAT arcade-y."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »

This OP is flawless.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:21:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

It's not a mispelling.  It's accurate.  Because your plane will become a "Thud"ing device in short order.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »

Hah, yeah, was gonna say that. You'll be hearing thuds soon enough if you're in a plane.

Also, I have to say, realistic mode in War Thunder is pretty close to IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946's full real mode, so it CAN be a simulator of sorts. Few people play that, to my great sadness. They should offer more XP for matches in realistic mode!

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:46 pm »

Installing.

Edit: edited out because unfunny. Sadface.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:54:49 pm by DoomOnion »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:58:28 pm »

Oh good lord landing on carriers is HARD!

EDIT: Oh thank the bloody lord and god I did it. Hallelujah!

DOUBLE EDIT: Into Mulit I guess, if anyone wants to brutally murder me, I'm Timferius in game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:23:11 pm by timferius »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »

I will vouch that this game is awesome. been playing it pretty exclusively aside form arma2 recently. Even went so far to buy 2500 golden eagles to use on a month premium and hanger slots. I'll probably buy more gold soon to buy more hanger slots, even.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:28:32 pm »

Installing.
Also: getting condoms and lubricants because I will be ... buttraped.
:I
Hey, rape jokes aren't funny.

Anywho, this looks like fun. The ability to buy stuff with real money is a bit worrying, though. Is it pay-to-win or are the things you buy just nice addons? (Like more 'character slots' or fun textures?)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »

Installing.
Also: getting condoms and lubricants because I will be ... buttraped.
:I
Hey, rape jokes aren't funny.

Anywho, this looks like fun. The ability to buy stuff with real money is a bit worrying, though. Is it pay-to-win or are the things you buy just nice addons? (Like more 'character slots' or fun textures?)

I'm on my fifth game, playing all ranks, and I've been scoring quite well, so I'd say no to pay to win so far. Hell, my Second or third game, I was first on our team for score, and we won, and I didn't lose a single plane. Felt real good.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »

You can unlock more slots with real money, yeah.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 12:09:33 am »

Started playing today, have to say its 10 times better than the world of warplanes beta, mouse controls are actually functional. About the P2W system, id say its similar to world of tanks, it might be there but skill its more importan and the skill cap is higher in the skies!
My only frustration its with some maps becouse bomber and fighter speed are almost equal, and bombers start highier, wich means some maps turn into a race/see who has better bombers.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

This OP is flawless.
Incorrect.
It doesn't have a link.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:54 am »

Does this support joysticks, or is it just M/KB? I have a really nice joystick I'd like to use. Or is it awkward, like some driving games that technically support a wheel but auto-adjust your steering in a way meant for keyboard controls instead of analog input anyway?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 163