Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210607 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1215 on: June 14, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »

Yes, but no squad at the moment.

I am also the only AseaHeru in the game, so that makes that easier.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 15, 2014, 08:44:06 am »

I'll log in and add any new join requests once I get the last bunch of updates downloaded, then to test out GF...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:25 pm »

I'd be up for any squadding and such.  Biplanes is a good way to get the hang of dogfighting, they can beat pretty much anything in a dogfight and since you're in reserves there's no plane you'll fight that can say no to a flat scissor without being killed.  I get ten kills a game in my chaika doing that.

EDIT:  Where do I find the bay12 squadron?  It doesn't seem to be in the squadron listing even when I search.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:37:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 15, 2014, 02:51:35 pm »

It's been a while since I've been on, but it's under the name "Urist McSquadron" with the [B12] tag. I'ma see if I can make some people officers when I get on (volunteers?), hopefully that'll ease acceptance. 1.3GB left to download, and this is taking frakking forever. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »

Sorry, cant join the squad.

I will go over someday and send friend requests to everyone though.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 15, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »

Fucking god damn wings every fucking time this is bullshit.

Every time I get shot, no matter where or how, it hits my wing and makes my plane useless.  Every fucking time.  I'm at that why bother playing point.  This is fucking pointless and impossible, and since I'm playing Germans it'll only get worse as my planes steadily get put up against worse and worse opposition.  My 190 A5 already fights planes that never flew in WW2, and it's pretty much old news that the Komet and 262 get MMed into Korean war fights against planes that outclass them in every single way. 

So now I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't just switch to US or Russia.  Russia has the problem of ugh, and US is pretty cool but it's also by far the most popular faction.   Hrmph >:o
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 15, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »

Yeah, I've grown less and less fond of WT over the course of its development. :/

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:29 pm »

I think War Thunder, like World of Tanks, suffers somewhat from two things: the developers have a favorite faction, the Russians, and the fanbase is a bunch of whiny bitches.

The problem with favoritism is obvious, though to be fair, at least WT's better about it than WoT in that they let people bitch and fume and occasionally even go in and do some little bit about it. Their mistreatment of Germans really sucks, though.

The fanbase is a much more nasty problem. Gaijin goes out of their way to try and make everyone happy, and it doesn't work, makes the game worse in some cases, and removes time and effort from things that are more important, like, say, more accurate flight models.

They also seem to have a little issue with prioritizing, choosing getting new stuff that's unprepared out instead of making what's there work.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »

OTOH WT is also worse, because the bias is much more blatant. The equivalent would be something like WoT putting IS-3s up against PzIII-IVs. WoWP can still suck a fat one, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »

I seem to have found a big part of my problem.  Weirdly enough despite what everyone says, it really was one trick I wasn't getting. 

Specifically, I had no idea how pursuit angles worked.  This is what they meant when they said that BnZ planes need discipline.  Too much lead pursuit was making my kills impossible.  Grabbed some disciprine and started doing lag pursuit and found my BnZ game much easier.

Of course all the pursuit angles and lag displacement rolls in the world don't matter when a single .50 round punches a dude-sized hole in my wing and makes my plane useless.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:25:11 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 15, 2014, 10:43:12 pm »

You could play arcade, where some planes can eat a dozen cannon shells and keep flying.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 15, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »

Fuck that, yo.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:44 pm »

I think I still have that image floating around somewhere...

Spoiler: Yep (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Also this (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:21 pm »

Well yeah, those are allies planes.  Apparently I was premature in thinking that something would fucking work.  It's still the same shit as always.  Whatever advantage I have unless it's completely overwhelming ends in a head-on which ends in wing damage which ends in me dying.  I can't stomach the thought of grinding through a different faction though.  I can't translate anything but the most overwhelming advantage into a kill.  I can't ranslate a defensive position into an offensive position because magic fucking mouse aim makes a tenth of a second of guns on me fatal.  I can't translate anything into anything.  This is the only game I've ever played that I couldn't get at least passably good at.

Well that's not true.  I can take a biplane out and get a million kills but that hardly counts.
Shoes...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 16, 2014, 05:01:45 am »

Well yeah, those are allies planes.  Apparently I was premature in thinking that something would fucking work.  It's still the same shit as always.  Whatever advantage I have unless it's completely overwhelming ends in a head-on which ends in wing damage which ends in me dying.  I can't stomach the thought of grinding through a different faction though.  I can't translate anything but the most overwhelming advantage into a kill.  I can't ranslate a defensive position into an offensive position because magic fucking mouse aim makes a tenth of a second of guns on me fatal.  I can't translate anything into anything.  This is the only game I've ever played that I couldn't get at least passably good at.

Well that's not true.  I can take a biplane out and get a million kills but that hardly counts.

If you like flying still, have you considered trying out true WW2 flight sims? Myself I've never really got very into these arcady games, the dynamics are very different and regardless of game you seem to just get either endless head-on attacks or stupid 1-kilometer mouse pointed snapshots with little to no meta/context beyond unlocking new stuff for yourself. WoT I can stomach and actually enjoy it a lot because I can consider it just a tank game with gameplay and its dynamics be its own, and not of a simulation's, and the EFE/FIRE community has been great company.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 163