Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210528 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1185 on: June 11, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

Ah, Ai? How did you manage that? Whenever I am on there are 40 americans to 25 everyone else.

The only AA guns that do anything are the ones around the airfields in arcade and on Destroyers. Everything else is pretty much ignorable.
Hey, look! Destroyers! Thats what I was talking about! /pointreinforce

Oh, and simbattles in tanks are fun with tank destroyers.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 11, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »

It really depends on the plane. For example, the Beaufighter (MkVIc) loses energy waaaay too much. Then I saw a Spitfire (MkIIb) climb 1km to a bomber and then STILL zoom past it  like it still had all its kinetic energy.

And yeah, reserve-level combat is always the most fun, especially in arcade battles.

On an unrelated note: I finally started to use the beaufighter more-or-less well and took down a few planes, including a B-25 (dunno which mod). It was a long climb and I had to reload my cannons once, but it was exceptionally fun. (I still left taking the bombers down to craft which could get to them easier). Only 1k points in my battles though, even after taking down quite a few aircraft (both bombers and fighters). Maybe I should make sure I get the kill, but I don't feel agile enough to safely pursue a falling plane and risk getting someone onto my tail. (But I managed to outmanouvre a fighter or two, that's nice).

AA guns reminds me of something. What's the chance that of the 5 allied planes over the last enemy airfield I get blown up in a single shot by the single remaining AA (which somehow of course, I miss)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 11, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

My duck turns far better than the usual, but apparently I can't shoot a Ju87 when up his ass at not even 200m. Either MK103 has been nerfed badly or I lost my skill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 12, 2014, 01:06:44 am »

Destroyers are ignorable as well. They just appear to hit because you're flying in a straight line when attacking them.

Honestly, the only dangerous AA are the machine guns mounted on cargo ships, as those actually hit.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 12, 2014, 04:03:18 am »

Well i was destroyed by cargo ships but usually with resoults like having my wing or tail blown clear off and no machinegun i know off can do something like that unless its a concentrated fire from a 8 x 50 cal array.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 12, 2014, 10:25:58 am »

They should really change the B-25's role to heavy fighter or attacker to reflect how it's actually used in game.

Also apparently the upcoming progression system will make you buy the previous premium planes in a series before you buy the ones you want, in case you're the kind of person who buys premium planes.  When people complained on the forum a senior moderator looked up their purchase history and used it in the thread to discredit their arguments.  Great game overall.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 12, 2014, 10:51:30 am »

Have a source on that stuff?

While it does make sense (because seriously, flying a T4 plane three days after starting to play the game can only end badly, for you and your team) I'm also wondering what happens to stuff you already bought.

Also I'd prefer it much more if it was tied to the max tier you unlocked with that nation.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 13, 2014, 01:06:37 pm »

It was on the forums, not sure.  Thread was locked, apparently the mod in question has a habit of doing ridiculous shit.

I decided to get the Hammer of Thor German P-47D.  I love it.  'Mericans hate it of course because after flying F4Fs and Hawks and Buffalos and such it feels like you're flying a brick, but for us German players it feels like home.  It's gonna be hard to go back to the FW-190 after this.  It basically takes everything bothersome about the 190 and fixes it.  Instead of the classic German combo of useless machineguns and strong but ammo-tight cannons, you get eight .50 caliber machineguns that can be fitted with 100% API-T rounds.  Pretty much any engine hit with this thing sets a plane on fire.  You can light both a B-25's engines with one slash across its wings.  8 barrels, 3400 rounds of freedom, spray and pray all day.

And probably my favorite thing, it can withstand a lot of damage to the wings without compromising performance.  The 190 has glass wings; one good hole and you're pretty much out of the fight. 

Oh, it also has a supercharger.  Past 4500m you start to out-turn 109s and 190s.  Past 7000m there's nothing in the P47's BR that can touch it. 

Now I need some people to play with though.  All randoms isn't much fun.  Any Germans around T2/3/4 still playing this and interested in some RB games?
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 13, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »

I think Americans hate the German P-47 because it starts (or started) in the air on quite a few maps. From what I've seen, the American's P-47s are very popular, but the German P-47 is almost always above you when you reach engagement range and it's almost impossible to kill a good pilot who's flying one.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 13, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »

I meant they hate the p-47 in general.  I heard it has air starts in Berlin and Bulge but I've never actually gotten to use one.  Is there something I have to push to do it? 

My biggest issue remains energy fighting and what to do when there's other enemies at altitude.  Most guides on the subject are just examples and ACM, which is like teaching me how to pop a wheelie when I don't know how to work the pedals.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 13, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »

I have it too, my first prem plane (love how WT's planes cost six bucks compared to the stupidly expensive tanks of WoT), it helped that I had the 'murrican P-47, tho they play rather differently, mostly because the 'murrican one can have a pretty good GAP role.

Also it is good at high altitude, the problem is getting there in time for the most part. I remember one battle where I just climbed to 3k when out of the blue a BF109 oneshots me from about six hundred meters up. Also also, you have over 3k ammo and even if you do run out it reloads in like 10 seconds with some crew training.

Tho I kinda suck with it tbh, I tend to hunt down bombers and tunnel after them, so if they dive I dive after them pretty much negating any advantage I might have built up. Also not much enemies are that high up usually.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »

I fly the P-47 (American) almost purely as a CAS. Bristles with rocket, bombs and strafe-o-matic MGs.

Actually, I tend to fly MOST of my planes as CAS/bomber, unless they're a dedicated figher/interceptor like a Yak-3 or Bf-109. Although I do fly the Ki-45's as bomber-hunters since they lack good ground attack capability.

Got a couple of ground-to-air kills in my GAZ the other day. Watching a Stuka catch fire and tumble to the ground....feels good comrade

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

I don't like lawnmowing so I never use it like that.  Once I get the hang of energy fighting this thing's gonna be a beast.  I can get BnZ kills pretty easy, the only trouble is that it doesn't roll as well as the 190 so it's harder to stay on a target, but most people have terrible situational awareness so it usually doesn't matter. 
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 13, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

The floatplane event is running this weekend. I did it last time they ran it, and it's surprisingly fun. You have a bunch of F1M2s and Swordfishes buzzing around like gnats pretending to be fighter planes while PBY's and H6K4's lumber around like giant gunship whales.

Sadly, no A6M2-N's allowed (for one thing, they'd own everyone else)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:54 am »

floatplane event AGAIN ?  :D
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 163