Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210673 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #930 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:29 am »

There are significant differences in plane durability. Some do seem to be much tougher than they should be and others are quite fragile(although it's generally accepted that most of these are realistic). At the same time, some weapons are simply more effective than others. Low tier British are really fond of the 7.7 mm machine guns... which are TINY and quickly become ineffective, even when you mount 12 of them on a plane. The 12.7 mm (.50 cal) machine guns that the Americans are fond of are significantly more effective. And once you get into the second era, it's when cannons become much more common. Almost everyone has at least one plane with 20mm cannons by era 2, other than the British(They might have Spitfire for it by this point, I forget the exact position on that one) and the American (Who don't get any sort of cannons till Era 3, I believe, and then it's the 37mm which is a different, although still very effective beast.)

To summarize. 7.7s will have a better chance of eventually weighing your plane down with enough lead to make it fall rather than actually damaging it. 12.7s will have a decent chance of critical damage to parts, and pilot, but rarely cause catastrophic damage to cause your plane to just fall apart. 20mm and 37mm cannons are what cause your plane to just disintegrate in mid air.

Russians are tough. Americans and Germans are still reasonably tough, but generally less tough than Russians.  British are a little tough, but alot of their planes fall apart pretty easily. The Japanese made their planes out of paper... and then soaked that paper down with fuel... and then handed out free incendiary ammo to all of their opponents... and then taunted "hit me if you can!!!"

Very little of this game is P2W... there are a few premium planes which are generally considered a little overpowered, but you shouldn't be encountering any of them at this point. (emphasis on "shouldn't" It's been a while since I played, and the MM was a little messed up then and things that "shouldn't" be happening were.)

The best thing you can do is not put yourself into a position to get shot. Sometimes that's hard, sometimes it's impossible, but that's the only real defense against getting shot down. Being rammed is also an annoying thing to happen, and it does happen for everyone, but it's risky for both involved. There's a fairly famous .gif of a Japanese plane ramming a catalina and shearing it's wing off and the Japanese plane survived. That should basically never happen due to the structures of both planes, but it did, at least once. Russian planes can get away with it more often, because they're poorly modeled by a seperate team from the rest of the planes. But if you get rammed, the general outcome is that both parties will be having a very bad day. Exception being extreme tier/structure differences. A biplane ramming a b-17? B-17 might get a little bit of annoying damage, if the ram is in a bad place, but odds are it'll survive while the biplane wont.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:13 am »

Ok, that makes a little more sense.

So the basic play to play is, slum in a lower teir until the next higher tier is completely maxed out, then move on?

That's what I do but you don't need to max out a tier before moving on, just make sure you have at least 2-3 planes that have a similar battle rating before adding them to your loadout.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:16 pm »

Tier 1 is the tier of quasi constant ramming, of vets brutally murdering newbs (it's called "seal clubbing") because they know that altitude is speed, of Chaikas, of most planes being a piece of crap except for the Russian ones.

Balance... well there is no real balance in the game. At tier 1, everything is Chaika bait : at tier 2, everything is IL2/Spitfire/Airacobra/Beaufighter bait : at tier 3: everything is Kingcobra/Beaufighter/Yak9 bait.

Japanese planes are mostly useless with the exception of the start and the end of the bomber line and some high level fighters. H6K4 best japanese.
Germany is 1337 nation, aka prepare for painful grinding before you get a good plane. Add more cannons, climb more : you win.
Britain is generally OP. Especially the beaufighters.
Russia... make Britain underpowered.
USA I have no experience with but it seems to be very different, some very nice planes and some shit ones.

Good low tier germany planes: He111 B0, S79, MC202 Folgore, most of the Bf109 line, Ju87 D5, He111 H3, Ju88.

Edit : Otherwise, currently grinding for the Hs129 b2. Duck yeah ! Want to go and have a Stuka-like plane, but better than a Stuka. Also, dat 30mm MK103 looks... sexy...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:47:48 pm by Naryar »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:43 pm »

America is pretty good. It takes more getting used to than the other nations, but once you do they get pretty good. They're not really as good at climbing as... well, any other nation except maybe Japan and Britain, and their .50 caliber guns are a bit weaker than everyone else's cannons, but they have a lot of ammo, are very tough comparable to silly Russian planes, and basically are good at flying for extended periods of time. The best tactic with the Americans is patience and teamwork, moreso than any other nation.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 03, 2014, 02:53:00 pm »

Ok so i bought my first FW 190... it's a piece of crap.
The engine barely keeps it in the air much less allow to climb.
The climbrate when stock is 6 meters per second.
SIX!

What's the use of a B'n'Z plane that cannot B'n'Z because everyone and their mother can outclimb it?

In fact games in arcade are often over before it even reaches bomber flight levels.
Oh and speaking of bombers. FW 190 turns like one with it's 30 second long turn time.

Simply.
Effing.
Horrible.

And for the price of having one less cannnon (assuming you mount the wing cannons) a BF109 has triple the climb rate AND can actually turn.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »

I play US and am working on leveling up my British and just started with Russians. Have to say, I love the I-16 and SU-2 MV-5 in low tier games. The SU-2 may not be as good at turning but I have still gotten lots of aircraft kills with it along with ground targets.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 03, 2014, 03:13:21 pm »

Ok so i bought my first FW 190... it's a piece of crap.
The engine barely keeps it in the air much less allow to climb.
The climbrate when stock is 6 meters per second.
SIX!

What's the use of a B'n'Z plane that cannot B'n'Z because everyone and their mother can outclimb it?

In fact games in arcade are often over before it even reaches bomber flight levels.
Oh and speaking of bombers. FW 190 turns like one with it's 30 second long turn time.

Simply.
Effing.
Horrible.

And for the price of having one less cannnon (assuming you mount the wing cannons) a BF109 has triple the climb rate AND can actually turn.

Hmm, mine doesn't climb bad ? You should play more stukas if you want a bad climb :p

I hear the other, higher tier FW's do not climb bad. Though yeah when I got it it was underwhelming as well.

Regardless, stuka event is best event. Right now i'm in a trollfest while playing 2 Ju87G's and the Ju87A5.

And it gives me good Ju experience.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 03, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »

Finally able to play after a month of shit internet and patches I can't download.

Played some 'murrican matches. And I gotta say, these bastards are tough, I've had three collisions today, and I've survived all three, while the other guy didn't (granted two were biplanes while my plane was the first Hawk variant). One especially rage inducing one was a RB match where the other guy blew up while my fuselage went black and my engine died. I was some 15 kilometers from the airstrip, so I start gliding towards it, had plenty of speed and some altitude. Got over 8 kilometers only to get killed by some random asshole who spotted me drifting back.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:45 am »

Ju87 A5 is awesome  :o

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 06, 2014, 09:29:06 am »

It is so annoying that you'll have to buy every damn plane. I have no interest in yet another slow wellington, but I really want the lancaster. Same thing with the beaufighters. I want the mosquito, not the mk21. And the game forces me to waste houndreds of thousands lions just for me to get what I want. Bah.

Does anyone know if the tempests are any good? Having 4x20mm on one seems nice, and the other is the only british plane with 37mm.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:55 am »

Welcome to the club of the people unhappy with the progression system. Your concerns have been noted, and then discarded.

Honestly though, it's always been that way, it was one of the more annoying aspects of the old system, but most people learned to deal with it, and it honstely wasn't a HUGE burden unless you were working on every tree in every nation at the same time. Around rank 10 (mid range Bf-109s, Kingcobras and La5FNs) You'd start to have an abundance of planes and not enough cash to buy them with, but presumably it'd even out in the later tiers since you'd have 3 or 4 majorly time consuming and credit earning levels between planes in some cases.

And even at the beginning of the 1.37 era patches you were making a TON of lions in relation to your plane unlocking speed, so it was never a problem then, either... but some people complained they were making too much money in the game... (Who does that?!) and guess, out of all of the concerns people have had over the progression system, which one was picked to be fixed... Yup... they lowered the earning rate on the lions.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 06, 2014, 12:52:38 pm »

H6K base bombing at tier 1 is amazing, been doing that all hour long.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »

Finaly moved up into Tier 3. My KDR is now declining from .5 to something even worse. How do I plane?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 10, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »

Finaly moved up into Tier 3. My KDR is now declining from .5 to something even worse. How do I plane?

Sorry can't help you there. Same thing happened to me the second I hit tier 3.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 10, 2014, 05:42:01 pm »

Strange i have Tier 3 germans and i don't see any difference... then again it might be because i'm playing germans.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163