Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126486 times)

AH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22740 on: August 08, 2015, 09:14:49 pm »

Cropping up to offer my support to the lore/gameplay changes, especially since it gives more fun to the job I actually enjoy playing.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22741 on: August 08, 2015, 09:16:22 pm »

Heh. Security? I only ever play it should I get on it. Because I feel it's more RP focused while also having its share of things to do that isn't just sitting around in the bar getting drunk :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22742 on: August 08, 2015, 09:20:50 pm »

Megacorp dystopias aren't my cup of tea
I'm sorry, you're not allowed in the cyberpunk club any more.
Please hand in any robotic augmentations at the door thank you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

AH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22743 on: August 08, 2015, 09:50:22 pm »

Heh. Security? I only ever play it should I get on it. Because I feel it's more RP focused while also having its share of things to do that isn't just sitting around in the bar getting drunk :P

Blueshield, which may gravitate from 'babysitter and secretary' to 'THE IRON RIGHT FIST, ENFORCER AND PROTECTOR OF THE CAPTAIN'.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22744 on: August 09, 2015, 04:54:56 am »

rename phoron to hieng particles 2559

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22745 on: August 09, 2015, 05:11:14 am »

Can we actually write a code that randomize the name of things every round?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22746 on: August 09, 2015, 05:15:58 am »

"STEVE! WE NEED 5 CCs OF NITROGETIC SLODUS STAT!"
"WHAT?"
"NITROGETIC SLODUS!"
"DO YOU MEAN SLOTICANT MENUA?"
"WHAT? YEAH, I GUESS SO?"
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22747 on: August 09, 2015, 05:21:13 am »

In theory, yes. In practice, it would be a massive, annoying, pointless refactor of half the code.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22748 on: August 09, 2015, 05:26:28 am »

In theory, yes. In practice, it would be a massive, annoying, pointless refactor of half the code.
It'd save a lot of time for future PRs, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22749 on: August 09, 2015, 06:41:45 am »

It'd save a lot of time for future PRs, though.
Not really. If you need a mass-rename you can just Ctrl+H it, or if you wanted to have it defined in one place (like the station name is) it's done by a macro that is essentially also a Ctrl+H, but either option hard-codes the name - it can only be changed if you recompile the code.

Randomizable names would require the generic names of all items of that type to be accessible when the round is being launched, so they'd need to be governed by variables - specifically, a list of possible names for every element covered by the randomization - and for each thing, pick an item from the list of names and assign the generic name to all items of that time from now on; and even still, you'd need to hook up every single thing with randomizable name - both its name and description - to not be hardcoded. Which would be a long, tedious process that would fuck with Bay, make coding more annoying, require writeups for all the lists of random names, and possibly eat processing power like candy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22750 on: August 09, 2015, 06:45:34 am »

Just use global variables and randomise them on world/New(). It'd be slowly and you'd have to move variable declaration to New(), but it's doable.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22751 on: August 09, 2015, 06:54:36 am »

Just use global variables and randomise them on world/New(). It'd be slowly and you'd have to move variable declaration to New(), but it's doable.
That's a pretty big 'just'. But yeah, it's not *hard*, it's just massively, massively tedious work that also may make Glloyd cry whenever we have to pull an update from Bay.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22752 on: August 09, 2015, 07:47:57 am »

apparently you can break juice cartons and use them as weapons on tgcode :^]

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22753 on: August 09, 2015, 08:09:50 am »

So, I'm one of the newbies that have been mentioned in the discussion/brewingflamewar over Independence.

Personally, I'm all for it. I can't really contribute some super meaningful reason why other then that the current system just...doesn't seem to work?
I think others have given better reasons for this then I could (gameplay not holding up, nonexistent RP, etc.) so I'll just leave it there.

Instead I'll just throw in my experiences with the game so far. The first time I played, I had just heard about the game and its lack of...monetary requirement from another Bay12er (I forget which, unfortunately)

I decided that, being new, I would try and play an assistant so that I could learn basic things from those who needed help. The obvious happened and I spent the entire time doing basically nothing because assistants are seen as roughly equivalent to the devil while having no ability to go anywhere on their own.
So while I was wandering around aimlessly, the AI went rogue or something and basically the place I was in was depressurized and I died after watching another player climb over a table that was blocking my progress.

After this experience, someone suggested cargo as the best place to start, so I played a cargo technician under Quartermaster Red Calciff.
In hindsight, this round went surprisingly according to plan, as this was easily the most active cargo had ever been during the various games I have played. Unfortunately, this was apparently solely because of the Captain and other Heads of Staff instigating a mutiny or somesuch. The round ended in badminnery with a nuke terrorist squad coming into cargo and murderizing me, while I fruitlessly tried to fire the energy gun I had obtained from the craziness that cargo was involved in.

The next few rounds were basically me attempting to find SOMETHING useful to do with myself and thus messing with the labyrinthine machinations of the Supermatter Engine. This ended roughly as one would expect, in explosions and tears. And occasionally in just a random security guard/doctor/clown jumping into engineering and fixing things because they "used to be an engineer" which is up there with "NANOMACHINES SON" in meta justifications.

There was a round after an SCOM game where I forgot to redo my vocation and ended up as a scientist. I figured, hey what the hell, lets go do some R&D. After throwing some stuff in the machine and generally feeling good about figuring out how to make stuff work on my own, a roboticist came in and told me that I had broke all the things, done everything wrong and that the whole department had to be scrapped because I apparently wasn't following the proper way to discover "new" stuff and thus wasn't operating at 4000% efficiency.
All the things I had "discovered" were things that never appeared in a single other round, and I suspect that literally nothing else that you CAN discover would ever appear in a round that didn't last for roughly two days straight.

A round later, I once more ended up a scientist, and in a moment of frustration at having NOTHING TO DO WITH MYSELF attacked the first person I saw with a surgical saw. This person turned out to be the syndicate agent and shot me to death. Security came into the scene and arrested them and the rest of the round I was ghosted and following a rather intriguing (for me at least) investigation where the suspect made all the wrong decisions and the HoS made the assumption that they had murdered me in cold blood. Elsewhere a clown was on a EVA jaunt because no-one ELSE had anything better to do either, since the only antag was tied up in legal proceedings.
I apologized in this thread the next day or so and was met with responses roughly in the line of "meh" because the player who I screwed over was a known metagamer.

I recently attempted to play doctor, as I had been shown the general workings of surgery on a few occasions (once in extended fuckery, the other in SCOM) and managed mostly to be very confused at a hairline fracture re-breaking roughly eight thousand times (because apparently bones can't be set unless drugs are injected into someones eyballs) and to cause an infection due to lack of mask (character was chain smoker)
After I finally cracked and adminhelped to find out bicardine was required, I rushed off to find some when I was interrupted by an engineer who came in to get some toxin taken care of who "USED TO BE A DOCTOR" and proceeded to drag the patient off to a scanner I had already used.
After I finally convinced the "ex doctor" to leave me to my work, a ninjadmin phased into existence and fixed everything while scolding me.

Oh, and one of the first rounds I played was SCOM, which was actually quite fun.
While I admit it certainly needs work, I don't think its a lost cause by any means and look forward to it being implemented in a way that can attract the players it desperately needs to survive.

But yeah, those are the experiences I've had in game so far. I think they help illustrate the problems that others have pointed the game out as having, and hope that you find them helpful.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

AH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22754 on: August 09, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »

Snip

This post made me think sad thoughts. I don't think I've ever played a round where you were on, but very few things on SS13 require teamwork and as everyone typically knows how everything works they are more likely to shove you aside than to teach you.

If you have questions you can always ask the thread or hell, I could try to teach you stuff ingame.
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 1654