Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126493 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22770 on: August 10, 2015, 01:09:02 am »

Powergamers don't care about lore.

The people who want a lore change most likely want it because it lets you do more RP stuff.

I mean, if everyone was playing things straight, someone speaking against Nanotrasen practices could very well be charged with treason if it was powerful enough. There is also very little reason for an anti-nanotrasen guy to just decide to work in nanotrasen. You have sleeper agents, assuming that's what revs are, but still. I'd much rather prefer an independent station going to hell because the captain received official looking orders to begin segregating by alcohol tolerance than a Nanotrasen station going to hell because they received official looking orders to begin removing aliens and such.

Plus, again, I don't really like NT. They seem to act within the boundries of 'over the top evil' and 'just evil enough' evil. I don't really see much of a redeeming factor for NT. Suuure, they may have some good sides, but the fact they stepped on so many people to the point that pretty much everyone is against them and still not getting the message to maybe start some PR campaigns that aren't 'NANOTRASEN WANTS YOU TO MINE PHORON.' At least it'd make sense for them to disband their death squad. There's a reason those rumors don't disappear.

* Iceblaster is overthinking NT and probably got things wrong.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22771 on: August 10, 2015, 01:30:02 am »

NT is supposed to be "The largest, more or less least evil governing corporation around." Urist often plays it comedicly as incompetent, rife with blatant, company breaking internal strife, or cold and callous to the point of villiany.

My point about powergamers and anorexic "medium" RP stand.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22772 on: August 10, 2015, 02:07:27 am »

To be honest, the only way to handle powergamers is to crack down on them. Not overly so to where we seem toxic to people suspected of powergaming, but be more strict and such about the definition of powergaming.

On this 'anorexic medium rp' thing. Mind some elaboration on the topic? Haven't played in a while.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22773 on: August 10, 2015, 02:18:04 am »

Powergamers don't care about lore.

The people who want a lore change most likely want it because it lets you do more RP stuff.

I mean, if everyone was playing things straight, someone speaking against Nanotrasen practices could very well be charged with treason if it was powerful enough. There is also very little reason for an anti-nanotrasen guy to just decide to work in nanotrasen. You have sleeper agents, assuming that's what revs are, but still. I'd much rather prefer an independent station going to hell because the captain received official looking orders to begin segregating by alcohol tolerance than a Nanotrasen station going to hell because they received official looking orders to begin removing aliens and such.

Plus, again, I don't really like NT. They seem to act within the boundries of 'over the top evil' and 'just evil enough' evil. I don't really see much of a redeeming factor for NT. Suuure, they may have some good sides, but the fact they stepped on so many people to the point that pretty much everyone is against them and still not getting the message to maybe start some PR campaigns that aren't 'NANOTRASEN WANTS YOU TO MINE PHORON.' At least it'd make sense for them to disband their death squad. There's a reason those rumors don't disappear.

* Iceblaster is overthinking NT and probably got things wrong.

As far as "my" Nanotrasen goes, Nanotrasen is 'evil' when it is profitable, which is often, and kind when more profitable than evil. Ask the players when i'm on, Nanotrasen will send fruit baskets to the station for not being idiots and if Glloyd's Syndicate invasion rounds are anything to go by, will sacrifice a few thousand marines to save 15-20 idiots.  :P

Nanotrasen is pretty schizophrenic about their treatment of everyone else.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NT is supposed to be "The largest, more or less least evil governing corporation around." Urist often plays it comedicly as incompetent, rife with blatant, company breaking internal strife, or cold and callous to the point of villiany.

Autistic, Ozarck. People say autistic RP standards.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22774 on: August 10, 2015, 02:30:29 am »

I don't understand why people complain about the RP, there seems to be plenty of RP going on to me.. Just because people aren't writing walls of text and talking a certain way doesn't mean there isn't RP, or even good RP. From what I've seen most of the time people do try to do their jobs and do them right, save for when you have total noobs on board.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22775 on: August 10, 2015, 03:04:04 am »

On this 'anorexic medium rp' thing. Mind some elaboration on the topic? Haven't played in a while.

My point is, none of the lore means squat when the RP has lost so much weight it can be classified as anorexic.
I was using a weight metaphor: "heavy" "medium" "light" "underweight" "Starved." I was suggesting that the RP I've experienced in the game over the last six months or more has been mcuh pushed ot the side or limited in ways that it isn't intended to be in our "mediumish" server.

Spoiler: rant on 'light' RP (click to show/hide)

What are some of you guys' favorite RP experiences on Urist?

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22776 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:53 am »

My point is, none of the lore means squat when the RP has lost so much weight it can be classified as anorexic.
I was using a weight metaphor: "heavy" "medium" "light" "underweight" "Starved." I was suggesting that the RP I've experienced in the game over the last six months or more has been mcuh pushed ot the side or limited in ways that it isn't intended to be in our "mediumish" server.

Spoiler: rant on 'light' RP (click to show/hide)

I understand, I remember back in the day when my character would just sit and hang out with Axl, Hector, and Daniel.. It was almost like watching a show where the characters were actual people. It seems a lot looser than it used to be. I don't really see it as a bad thing though, just a different thing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22777 on: August 10, 2015, 03:46:56 am »

Court cases as lawyer. I've only ever done two but they were nearly worth the tens of hours I've put into being a lawyer with nothing to do but casually harass security.

And in general I agree with you. RP is a thing that doesn't really happen.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:30 am »

Honestly I want to RP more but I'm incredibly nervous when actually playing Dany as how she's meant to be, so I usually make him comedically aggressive.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22779 on: August 10, 2015, 04:48:03 am »

Playing as traitor and convincing the Captain that I'm an agent from NT. And then, using his exploitable knowledge to convince him to kill my boss, the RD, and have it done silently and cleanly. After which he encountered an unfortunate and mysterious disappearance. Hm. ;3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22780 on: August 10, 2015, 05:46:11 am »

You do realise that Skrell are allowed head positions, captain is the only job that Skrell really shouldn't be?  That goes for all alien races, excepting Unathi, who shouldn't be Captain, HoS, or HoP.

skrill la skrell can go for captain if absolutely pressed to

unathi can go hos but no other head job (how the fuck do you see a lizard rd or cmo working anyway)

no other nonhumans are ever allowed head jobs

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22781 on: August 10, 2015, 06:57:04 am »

Honestly I want to RP more but
It's difficult to carry a conversation in text without the other person running off to do their thing, and usually everyone ignores you anyway
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22782 on: August 10, 2015, 07:06:18 am »

alright so i logged onto tg and looked at the admin memos because i have admin powers on tg
and i saw this
Memo by stickymayhem on 2015-08-07 12:55:15
New Admin Decree: Grisha5 is always valid

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22783 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:45 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22784 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:17 am »

Yeaaaahhhh... Honestly I feel we should just move to high rp at this point if we want to have people care about the lore/not powergame at all. High RP without the cancer inducing bits(snowflakes, meing out fights, etc.) I feel would be work out fairly well with our community.
Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 1654