Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126455 times)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22755 on: August 09, 2015, 12:57:37 pm »

(Or ahelp and ask a mentor to teach you, that's what we're there for, there are also some mentors and admins who are not in the config yet, namely myself, WAAAC, and Zty)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: August 09, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

People really should take the time to offer to teach (new) assistants how to things. Not just mentors, but all players.

Lack of rp, and lack of interaction, again, is not much of an argument for switching, as the problem will likely persist in the new lore.

That said, player preference is about as reasonable an argument as one can find, so there's that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:20 pm »

i would just like to mention in the midst of all this that an adventure thread just appeared on singulo.

the fact that tgstation has an adventure thread and the other stations dont only further prove that tgstation is twice as autistic better than other communities.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: August 09, 2015, 03:40:03 pm »

a roboticist came in and told me that I had broke all the things, done everything wrong and that the whole department had to be scrapped because I apparently wasn't following the proper way to discover "new" stuff and thus wasn't operating at 4000% efficiency.
Ignore the angry robot lady, she's evil.
Take a closer look at this text!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22759 on: August 09, 2015, 09:52:44 pm »

Oh sweet fuck. I go away for three days and everything go,es insane. Okay, I'm going to briefly respond to some of the major points raised over the last few pages:

1. Me: Yup, I've been pretty inactive during the summer, no doubt about it. I'm not denying it, it's true. There've been a number of reasons, that I'd rather not get into, but most of it is behind me now and I'm getting back into the swing of things. I've got some pet projects I want to finish, and then I want to get back to doing stuff for the community like I've always done. I guess I have gotten a little out of touch, but I'd like to know what people really want to see in SS13, because at the end of the day what I want most is just to make the game better.

2. S-COM: Yup, it's shit. Yup, it hasn't been updated in a couple months. There are a few reasons behind this and hopefully I can express them well enough in here. First off, it nowhere near done. 2nd, there are a number of fundamental design flaws. Now, a couple months back I talked about having galactic crisis and S-COM as two separate modes, but the more I worked on GC, the more I've realised that there's no point in doing that. So, I've been folding S-COM into GC, and GC will have a votable length which scales a number of things depending on what people vote at the start of the rounds. Randomized missions should address some of those issues mentioned, and class expansions/changes along with some science changes should help address some of the other flaws with S-COM

3. Dev: Kinda addressed in the other ones, but I've been putting most of my focus into my personal projects. While I didn't get much work done in July because of some personal issues, I've started working on SS13 again and I hope to have some new stuff to show you very soon.

4. Lore: Skye, when I mentioned keeping the lore the same, I just meant for moving it to the wiki. After we had the lore in one spot, we can go from there to adapt and change it and take community input, feedback and contributions like we should have been doing all along.

5. Independent station: Honestly, my small comment a couple days ago got taken way too far. I should have explained myself more, but didn't. I like Nanotrasen as the head of the station. It makes more sense in game then being independent, and it makes it a better setting for rounds like revolution and mutiny, where conflict is created because NT is being NT. Along with that, the idea of the struggle between NT and the Syndis is at the core of what makes SS13 so interesting. If it was just independent station vs unnamed mercs, I feel like it would just be bland generic sci fi shit as Miauw pointed out. However, I do really like the idea of what faction your from affecting different things. After all, despite being a supermassive nationesque mega-corp, NT is still a corporation and is comprised of people from everywhere with their own differences and motivations, something that's not really expressed ingame.

So yeah. I hope everyone's doing well and I hope to see you all on the server this week. Also, this coming weekend there will likely be a test on Saturday. More info on that later in the week.

SkyeAuroline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:02 pm »

...GC will have a votable length...

Okay, I'm sold, you fixed the biggest problem already.

As the only other major point I can really address right now, since I'm half asleep:

I just meant for moving it to the wiki.

Whenever I have time (which won't be the next couple days) I'll try and format out the lore pages. I've been kinda busy and haven't been working on the wiki much, so it's still bare-bones at best, and the backstory section is gonna need to be done from scratch. But we've got a few pages already and all.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: August 09, 2015, 10:23:24 pm »

...GC will have a votable length...

Okay, I'm sold, you fixed the biggest problem already.

The idea is having a coefficient that scales the length/difficulty of things based on what is voted. It's been a bit since I touched it, but I had 3 or four settings that obviously need to be tested, but should fall something like this. 1: 1~ hour 2: 1-2~ 3: 2-3~ 4: 3-4~

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:31 pm »

5. Independent station: Honestly, my small comment a couple days ago got taken way too far. I should have explained myself more, but didn't. I like Nanotrasen as the head of the station. It makes more sense in game then being independent, and it makes it a better setting for rounds like revolution and mutiny, where conflict is created because NT is being NT. Along with that, the idea of the struggle between NT and the Syndis is at the core of what makes SS13 so interesting. If it was just independent station vs unnamed mercs, I feel like it would just be bland generic sci fi shit as Miauw pointed out. However, I do really like the idea of what faction your from affecting different things. After all, despite being a supermassive nationesque mega-corp, NT is still a corporation and is comprised of people from everywhere with their own differences and motivations, something that's not really expressed ingame.

The racial aspect I do tend to RP with my character Voxos Sacks, he's a Skerill who is getting up there in age, he used to be heads of staff until he got downgraded and white washed for being too old and for not being human. The only reason they let him get head positions is because he has a lot of military experience and he was a good asset for a while, but they screwed him over as he became old news. I like NT for this exact reason.

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »

[snip]

The racial aspect I do tend to RP with my character Voxos Sacks, he's a Skerill who is getting up there in age, he used to be heads of staff until he got downgraded and white washed for being too old and for not being human. The only reason they let him get head positions is because he has a lot of military experience and he was a good asset for a while, but they screwed him over as he became old news. I like NT for this exact reason.
You do realise that Skrell are allowed head positions, captain is the only job that Skrell really shouldn't be?  That goes for all alien races, excepting Unathi, who shouldn't be Captain, HoS, or HoP.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: August 09, 2015, 11:08:34 pm »

[snip]

You do realise that Skrell are allowed head positions, captain is the only job that Skrell really shouldn't be?  That goes for all alien races, excepting Unathi, who where it's extended to not being Captain, HoS, or HoP.

Yeah they can be, but that doesn't mean they don't favor certain races over others. Racism doesn't have to be explicit to be a thing.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: August 09, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »

2. S-COM: Yup, it's shit. Yup, it hasn't been updated in a couple months. There are a few reasons behind this and hopefully I can express them well enough in here. First off, it nowhere near done. 2nd, there are a number of fundamental design flaws. Now, a couple months back I talked about having galactic crisis and S-COM as two separate modes, but the more I worked on GC, the more I've realised that there's no point in doing that. So, I've been folding S-COM into GC, and GC will have a votable length which scales a number of things depending on what people vote at the start of the rounds. Randomized missions should address some of those issues mentioned, and class expansions/changes along with some science changes should help address some of the other flaws with S-COM

Sounds good. My problem with S-COM was always how repetitive it was. The length would not be a problem if it was not always the exact same thing. I'd also like to see some changes to combat. I always hated how S-COM combat would go, how there was no potential for tactics, it was just run and gun. I suggested this earlier, but if walking made you immune to friendly fire(it just passes through you) that would be interesting. Dunno if that's even possible though.

Eeeeehhh, I feel like some of that is valid, and some unfounded. Particularly NT and syndies. I feel like that if we went independent in the style I suggested, you can still keep the syndies. Make the station valuble again, and like I said, everyone is trying to influence it. The syndies, the groups that operate more overtly outside the law, are just influencing the station to their own side, except with more extreme tactics... The difference between ISIS bombing a city to someone running for president.

My idea for the independent lore is that say, random dude establishes space station here. Turns out, something really valuable is around(Phoron/unobtanium/whatever). Out of the interest of not starting a war, all the megacorps and goverments agree to not fight, and instead work together to get this new stuff. So they all send their most qualified(hah) personnel to go staff this station. The ones who are left out of the deal are pissed, and are now the syndies. Meanwhile, the deal may say no fighting on paper, but whoever can basically influence everyone else out gets the lions share of the cash. So all the corps and governments are working behind the scenes to take control, primarily through their personnel. After all, THEY called for Terran leadership to intervene on the station. The STATION asked for a NanoTrasen Deathsquad. The STATION requested medics from the New Green Cross. we had nothing to do with it, no sir.

See what I mean? This could add a massive amount of depth to the game, and expand the game from just good guys(station/NT?) and bad guys(Syndicate) Now everything is shades of grey.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: August 10, 2015, 12:17:25 am »

Sounds good. My problem with S-COM was always how repetitive it was. The length would not be a problem if it was not always the exact same thing. I'd also like to see some changes to combat. I always hated how S-COM combat would go, how there was no potential for tactics, it was just run and gun. I suggested this earlier, but if walking made you immune to friendly fire(it just passes through you) that would be interesting. Dunno if that's even possible though.

Eeeeehhh, I feel like some of that is valid, and some unfounded. Particularly NT and syndies. I feel like that if we went independent in the style I suggested, you can still keep the syndies. Make the station valuble again, and like I said, everyone is trying to influence it. The syndies, the groups that operate more overtly outside the law, are just influencing the station to their own side, except with more extreme tactics... The difference between ISIS bombing a city to someone running for president.

My idea for the independent lore is that say, random dude establishes space station here. Turns out, something really valuable is around(Phoron/unobtanium/whatever). Out of the interest of not starting a war, all the megacorps and goverments agree to not fight, and instead work together to get this new stuff. So they all send their most qualified(hah) personnel to go staff this station. The ones who are left out of the deal are pissed, and are now the syndies. Meanwhile, the deal may say no fighting on paper, but whoever can basically influence everyone else out gets the lions share of the cash. So all the corps and governments are working behind the scenes to take control, primarily through their personnel. After all, THEY called for Terran leadership to intervene on the station. The STATION asked for a NanoTrasen Deathsquad. The STATION requested medics from the New Green Cross. we had nothing to do with it, no sir.

See what I mean? This could add a massive amount of depth to the game, and expand the game from just good guys(station/NT?) and bad guys(Syndicate) Now everything is shades of grey.

See this I could get behind, it's adding more corporations into the mix instead of them just being names. And with the power struggle aspect, it could make RP more important in a less pushy way, it makes a lot of sense to me and it would make non antags have more of a purpose.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: August 10, 2015, 12:24:04 am »

Honestly, Urist McStation's speciesm is a breath of fresh air from the tajaran-infested midden that is Bay.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: August 10, 2015, 12:32:36 am »

Honestly, Urist McStation's speciesm is a breath of fresh air from the tajaran-infested midden that is Bay.

The Department of Departmentalized Xenophobia in Defense of Humanity's Savior Nanotrasen-Seeding Taskforce would like to award you a medal for objectively good opinions.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:35:20 am by Aedel »
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22769 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41:32 am »

I like Nanotrasen as the head of the station. It makes more sense in game then being independent, and it makes it a better setting for rounds like revolution and mutiny, where conflict is created because NT is being NT. Along with that, the idea of the struggle between NT and the Syndis is at the core of what makes SS13 so interesting.
Rev and mutiny become unbearable when powergamer is in Captan / HoP / HoS role. "Enact NT orders w/o explanation or consent, Wait for slightest dissent, arrest or kill the opposition. Greentext."

Of course, this would happen on an 'independant' station with at least the same frequency: "Two characters from different factions argue over allocation of resources/ job assignments / drink preferences, Security / Station faction steps in, picks side/no side, arrests / shoots everyone else. Ding! Problem 'solved.'"

I feel like a lot of the "struggle between NT and Syndicate" disappeared with the objectives. Traitors essentially become either powerless protesters / silent dissidents / straight up terrorists." And again, powergamer goes "oh, you're acting against the interest of the station? I'll kill you! Greentext."

My point is, none of the lore means squat when the RP has lost so much weight it can be classified as anorexic.
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 1654