Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745833 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2475 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:40 pm »

I really doubt that domestic violence case would hold in appeal, and private mediators are something, well, private. Families are free to appeal to the courts if they don't like the mediation.
Don't know if there was an appeal in that case. Happened in 2007. Also I remembered it wrong, it was a divorce case, where domestic violence was involved and cited as a reason to get a divorce immediately.
The problem with these private sharia mediators is that what they're doing is illegal, they absolve you of a crime if you pay the victims family. It's come up recently because the government is going to outlaw the practice.
(Sorry, couldn't find english links.)

Actually all the article says about the authors is
Both Sandelin and Arnstberg are established voices among those critical of multiculturalism and Swedish immigration policy and their book has been warmly received on extremist websites and by far-right bloggers in Sweden.
So they're critical of immigration policy, which doesn't make them xenophobes, AND right wingers like the book, which is kinda unavoidable if you're critical of immigration policies, but not necessarily the author's fault. Not everybody who is unhappy with immigration policies is a racist.
I can't speak Swedish, but Google seems to think the authors are a journalist and a professor of ethnology. How do you make a freaking conspiracy out of that?
I'm Swedish. They're well known.
I don't doubt that, but the article does not actually say so, so it seems kind of extreme to go from what the article said, which isn't really anything bad, to "government overthrowing conspiracy".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2476 on: December 10, 2013, 05:01:58 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jqzUX8fkMk#t=16
^^^
Italian police join protestors

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
David Cameron pretending he has friends ;-(

And now to get involved in Europol immigration debate
* kaijyuu sees no reason to force anyone to learn the most common language of a place.
It only really harms them. And maybe annoys racists who don't want to hear people talk in other languages or *gasp* see signs/menus/etc written in other languages.
Ha ha, right? I just don't get why the Welsh got mad about the whole speaking English thing.
...Unless some people actually want to preserve their culture; especially important in the demographic changes of today's world. Any smaller population that is being replaced by a new one will either have its culture adopted, assimilated or forgotten. Plus it's incredibly difficult to function in a country's society without being able to speak that society's tongue, it's the first step to ensuring people begin forming segregated sub-communities within 'multicultural' societies by having people being unable to positively interact with none other than their nationality.

Also I'm not too well versed in Sweden's immigration policy, but I really doubt anyone can live off welfare without being a citizen, and I don't think they allow people to become citizens if they can't support themselves.
Spoiler: Shottin' knowledge (click to show/hide)

Current research has repeatedly shown Sweden has gone plus, economically speaking, for every immigrant we've accepted. Even if there are people that gamble or abuse the system (and there sure as hell are a lot of Swedes doing that as well), the overall result is still economically beneficial.

tl;dr
Net loss for the UK and Sweden.
Germoney has it wurst.
Tip top destinations are Germany, France, UK, Italy and Spain in that order of magnitude.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »

If I may briefly interject - in Wales, speaking the language is like a Scotsman wearing tartan or Americans saluting their flag.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: December 10, 2013, 05:05:40 pm »

Saluting the flag? What?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 10, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »

Saluting the flag? What?

Or whatever it is you do in your pseudoreligious flag rituals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:39 pm »

I think it's [CENSORED] with a [CENSORED] and a [CENSORED] who actually is the American flag.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: December 10, 2013, 05:20:05 pm »

Ha ha, right? I just don't get why the Welsh got mad about the whole speaking English thing.
...Unless some people actually want to preserve their culture; especially important in the demographic changes of today's world. Any smaller population that is being replaced by a new one will either have its culture adopted, assimilated or forgotten. Plus it's incredibly difficult to function in a country's society without being able to speak that society's tongue, it's the first step to ensuring people begin forming segregated sub-communities within 'multicultural' societies by having people being unable to positively interact with none other than their nationality.
Holy slippery slopes batman!

Melting pots have problems and I won't argue regarding that. Re: cultural preservation though, if you want to preserve your culture, preserve it yourself. Don't force others to do it for you, or tell people "you have to become ONE OF US" to immigrate.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2482 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »

Also of note is that the text she is receiving is probably the one about the Minister of Justice being sacked.

Holy slippery slopes batman!
Melting pots have problems and I won't argue regarding that. Re: cultural preservation though, if you want to preserve your culture, preserve it yourself. Don't force others to do it for you, or tell people "you have to become ONE OF US" to immigrate.
Slippery slope my arse, I'm stating what I've seen happen in Malaysia.
It is literally impossible for an individual to keep a culture alive on their own, it cannot persist on the lives of individuals who alone are prone to dying and failing. And when one population begins out-populating another, I again stress that a culture will be adopted/assimilated/forgotten. The Hakka Chinese speak Mandarin or Cantonese almost exclusively now, identify as Han and are pretty much going to become irrelevant as an independent community in Malaysia within this century. If you care about your country's culture, then the next generation, whether they be native children or young migrants, must adopt it or it will die. This is how a multicultural society can still paradoxically lead to a homogenous society. Immigration is immediately relevant as in most European countries, the populations are mostly all shrinking with a high old:young ratio coupled with young parents having less than 2 kids per family. Immigrant families however tend to have more. The result is the immigrant families will replace the native ones, and if the immigrant families do not take up the native culture - that culture will be gone.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 10, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

Does Michelle ever not look like she wants to destroy Hillary?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2484 on: December 10, 2013, 06:02:42 pm »

That's the PM of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 10, 2013, 06:16:07 pm »

That's the PM of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt.
Wow, she looks almost exactly like Hillary Clinton. Though this makes Michelle's expression of homicidal rage even more confusing.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: December 10, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »

Plus it's incredibly difficult to function in a country's society without being able to speak that society's tongue, it's the first step to ensuring people begin forming segregated sub-communities within 'multicultural' societies by having people being unable to positively interact with none other than their nationality.
Mostly this is the problem. Fear of putting pressure on immigrants has resulted in parallel societies, where people speak only Turkish or Arabic and are thus unable to get education and work. Now there are some mandatory language courses for immigrants, but it took many years to even get that far, because it was seen as "xenophobic".

Germoney has it wurst.
Tip top destinations are Germany, France, UK, Italy and Spain in that order of magnitude.
Nice pun.
AFAIK the problem is, we're getting the least educated immigrants, which results in a net loss for the system. If we had a more selective immigration policy (Canada is often cited as example) that might be different.

Melting pots have problems and I won't argue regarding that.
The question is whether you actually want your country to be a melting pot. Demographic reality is that ~25 % of the population under age 18 in Germany has an "immigration background" (which is a very complicated and still pretty imprecise legal term). Now not all of these are culturally different from the majority of the population, but many are.
Being accepting of other cultures is one thing, but what do you do with cultures whose values are fundamentally opposed to the values of the indigenous culture? Should you try to preserve some of your own values or should you accept misogyny, antisemitism and homophobia in your growing islamic population?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

Being accepting of other cultures is one thing, but what do you do with cultures whose values are fundamentally opposed to the values of the indigenous culture? Should you try to preserve some of your own values or should you accept misogyny, antisemitism and homophobia in your growing islamic population?
Because of the existence of "human rights," I believe we can agree that there are some expectations that cross cultural boundaries. Misogyny, homophobia, etc have no reason to be tolerated. They are moral issues and deserve to be discussed without anything being justified by "it's just what they do." Aspects of culture without any moral ties (clothing, etc), however, CAN be justified with that.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2488 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:54 pm »

Because of the existence of "human rights," I believe we can agree that there are some expectations that cross cultural boundaries. Misogyny, homophobia, etc have no reason to be tolerated. They are moral issues and deserve to be discussed without anything being justified by "it's just what they do." Aspects of culture without any moral ties (clothing, etc), however, CAN be justified with that.
Others would appear hopelessly ignorant as to what should be preserved within culture.

And on that note, not all cultures exist in countries which are signatories to the declaration of human rights. I think it's safe to say that's one facet of Western culture we would agree that immigrants must know?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: December 10, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »

Well only because I accept moral imperatives as acceptable. Notably these people should be able to argue and discuss with us what those human rights actually are.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 1393